strut expert needed - can bad struts cause steering wheel shake?? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2005, 04:59 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Question strut expert needed - can bad struts cause steering wheel shake??

I posted a couple days ago about the vibrations, and shaking my steering wheel does mainly at speeds over 65 mph although the wheel shakes as well is I hit a large bump in the road.....I just bought the car and have had new brakes/rotors put on in addition to new front tires and an alignment check....the previous front tires had uneven wear on the INSIDE of both tires. Can bad struts be causing the vibrations/shaking of my wheel or is there no relationship?

Folks suggested having the wheel bearings replaced - would this help and how much does this typically cost?

THANKS
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2005, 05:00 PM   #2
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (8)

they can't cause it but they won't do anything to mask another issue that IS causing it.

I think you have control arm bushing problems but that's just me.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-07-2005, 05:45 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (9)

You dont have to replace your wheel bearings, just repack them with grease and make sure the nut is tightened properly. I am no expert on the front end like MFE is, but I cured my vibration up front by repacking my bearings, but am in the process of SN95 Conversion so I will not have to worry about packing bearings anymore.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:57 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (8)

mfe was talking about bushings, not bearings
04 Acura TL - trans cooler
Old 06-07-2005, 09:02 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (30)

sounds alot like tire balance to me... hitting a pot hole can sometimes knock off wheel weights. Did this start before or after you had the work done?? Have you tried swaping the rear tires to the front to see what happens??
Old 06-08-2005, 01:02 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (0)

All of you are correct. Tire balance, bad struts (causes feathering on the inside or outside of tire like a ripple as you move your hand arund the tire) bad bearings and suspension arm bushings can cause shake. Trouble shoot and do the fairly simple stuff first ie repack your bearings (every 30,000 miles) have your wheels re balanced and check you struts for damage/wear. Have a reputable shop check your suspension bushings if need be. You've got your ideas now fix the problem. My guess is that it's a wheel balance issue. Good luck.

Henry
Old 06-08-2005, 01:21 AM   #7

Trader Feedback: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHaFT7
mfe was talking about bushings, not bearings
I realize MFE was talking about Bushings, but the original post asked about wheel bearings.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:02 AM   #8

Trader Feedback: (5)

My vote is for balance as the culprit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement