Help! Turn Signals Not Working But Hazards Do! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2005, 12:47 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Help! Turn Signals Not Working But Hazards Do!

Help! Turn Signals Not Working But Hazards Do!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys,

I'm praying someone here can guide me in the right direction with this because all my attempts have failed so far.

Basically, I bought this 92 GT with 500rwhp and the guy gutted a lot of stuff so I've been working nonstop on this car for the past couple of days trying to get it ready to pass inspection.

The big problem right now is that the turn signals don't work. What I mean is that when I pull the turn signal lever, no blinking comes on in the dash and no lights outside either, and no clicking sound.

However, when I turn the hazards on, the turn signals work and everything lights up, both inside and out.

Today I switched my friend's 88GT turn lever in for mine. No difference.

I then went out and bought a new flasher and replaced the one in the fuse box. No difference here either. I've been getting a lot of mixed advice here.

I called up dallasmustang and they said that the turn signal flasher and hazard flasher are the same thing, meaning there is only one flasher. But I have I heard from a few people that there are 2 different ones. I took out the seat and was on my back looking for this damn thing but I looked everywhere and there is not a second one. I will be taking pictures so that maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Any suggestions?

Jason
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2005, 01:11 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (1)

You've probably have already done this, but check the fuses. I can't remember if the hazards are seperate than the turn signals or not. If they aren't, then this advice is worthless. My dad had a similar problem with his 92 Aerostar, but it had two flashers. Only other suggestion is to get a wiring diagram(there are websites, but I can't think any off hand, otherwise get a Haynes maual) and trace the wires to make sure everything is where it's suppose to be, no damage, etc.... Since the guy "gutted" stuff, I'd have to lean toward a wiring issue.

EDIT: Go here and scroll down. I think there are some wiring diagrams on this page: http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/tech/engine#Diagrams

Good Luck,
Adam

Last edited by acc14; 05-20-2005 at 01:19 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-20-2005, 01:20 AM   #3

Fuse Panel:

Old 05-20-2005, 01:23 AM   #4

an 88 turn signal lever won't work with your 92. They are different. Look here under the "Year" menu and you'll see:

http://secure.50resto.com/product1.c...Product_ID=284
Old 05-20-2005, 01:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveomar
an 88 turn signal lever won't work with your 92. They are different. Look here under the "Year" menu and you'll see:

http://secure.50resto.com/product1.c...Product_ID=284
I didn't realize that. I'd definately check/replace the switch before looking elsewhere.

Adam
Old 05-20-2005, 01:38 AM   #6

its not that.. what you have to do is take your covers off the wheel and get to the ignition switch the plastic piece that connects to the switch pulls apart and if you push it back together they will start working again try this. best way is to zip tie it up tite
Old 05-20-2005, 01:45 AM   #7

%#@ this. I'm taking the entire damn dash off. This is really aggravating me. Maybe I'll catch some other problems while doing this.

I'll let you know how it works out.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:46 AM   #8

nonono just try what i said please i have helped at least 40 people on here with that problem
Old 05-20-2005, 01:48 AM   #9

so take the covers off around the wheel you mean right?
Old 05-20-2005, 02:03 AM   #10

Trader Feedback: (9)

My turn signals on my 92 GT work outside the car, but the left arrow INSIDE the dash does not always flash, try to figure that one?
Old 05-20-2005, 11:49 AM   #11

Garage
Do your headlights work? I had my gauge cluster disassembled, and my headlight switch + hazard switches disconnected. I noticed that my turn signals would not work with these other switches disconnected...
Old 05-20-2005, 12:22 PM   #12

wow I think you just answered the question I was about to post. I started diassembling everything to take off the dash when I all of sudden I saw this two pronged connector hanging behind the radio. What do you know, no flasher connected to it. So I put it in but still nothing.

I'm guessing this is because I have everything else disconnected as far as the headlight switches and stuff.

I just didn't feel like putting everything back together without being sure that this could be a reason why it would start blinking.

I really hope that when I put that **** back that it works.

I dunno.

J
Old 05-20-2005, 04:51 PM   #13

I haven't had to troubleshoot my late model yet, but I spent many hours under the dash of my '66. The turn signal switch on the column was notorious for failing. It was actually wired through the brakes/brake lights. If the turn signal switch went bad, the brake lights would also partially and randomly fail, but the hazzards always worked. Again, maybe the wiring has changed but check the operation of the brake lights with the stalk in left, center, and right positions. I would still be suspect of that switch.

Shakerhood- I would guess you have a burned out light bulb in your dash cluster. The bulbs are cheap, but to get to it you have to remove the cluster. I think the bulb is a 194. I remember because I just reassembled my dash after replacing the heater core and I replaced all my dash bulbs at the same time.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:55 PM   #14

i got it! THANK GOD!

One thing though, since I'm not 100% familiar with these cars, when the blinkers go on, only the very inner light blinks, not the outside one as well.

Is this normal?

Jason
Old 05-21-2005, 12:04 AM   #15

what was the result

Jason,
So what was the problem with the signal lights? My car is having the same problem, no turn signal or back up lights but everything else works. I have been having problems with the connector on the underside of the column.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:55 AM   #16

well the connector was actually ziptied already so i guess the guy who owned it before me had that prob and fixed it.

the only prob with mine was that he had taken out the flasher so there was no flasher. I just found the connection for it and plugged a new flasher in.

Hard to find when no flasher is connected!

Jason
Old 05-22-2005, 12:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by reedbr
I haven't had to troubleshoot my late model yet, but I spent many hours under the dash of my '66. The turn signal switch on the column was notorious for failing. It was actually wired through the brakes/brake lights. If the turn signal switch went bad, the brake lights would also partially and randomly fail, but the hazzards always worked. Again, maybe the wiring has changed but check the operation of the brake lights with the stalk in left, center, and right positions. I would still be suspect of that switch.

Shakerhood- I would guess you have a burned out light bulb in your dash cluster. The bulbs are cheap, but to get to it you have to remove the cluster. I think the bulb is a 194. I remember because I just reassembled my dash after replacing the heater core and I replaced all my dash bulbs at the same time.
Thanks for the input on the dash signal not working, but its not the bulb because sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:49 AM   #18

Not sure if this helps, but, I just recently had my interior lights go out on my 1995gt.
I changed the headlight switch, still not working, changed all fuses, still not working, disconnected all the components connected to the load side of fuse, still no good. FINALLY cut off the factory pigtail and replaced--SUCCESS!
Pigtail connector is what it's called and it didn't even look bad. That was where the problem was.
Hopefully this will help for all future readers looking for help with "no headlights, No interior, taillights went out...etc"!~!
Old 05-22-2005, 09:26 PM   #19

Trader Feedback: (4)

i don't know if anyone knows this or not but quite a few years back Ford had a recall on just about all mustangs. the ignition switches were faulty and were causing fires even when the car would be off. this also affected the turn signals because of a bad connection. i strongly suggest replacing the switch. it only costs about $3. at least thats what i paid for one for my 92. i also had a ford dealer replace the one in an 89 i had. hope this helps.
John 3:16
1992 Mustang SSP Coupe
1991 Mustang LX Convertible
Old 05-23-2005, 05:40 AM   #20

And goto the Ford Dealership and get the switch. The Part store ones are just as bad...no worse than OE because they are more prone to the seperation.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:49 PM   #21

The ignitions switch is a $12 part at the dealer. I had to buy a Torx set to replace it, but I've used it many times since then. I wouldn't trust the dealer to replace my switch.

Brian
Old 05-24-2005, 10:09 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakerhood
My turn signals on my 92 GT work outside the car, but the left arrow INSIDE the dash does not always flash, try to figure that one?

I have that same problem.

Eibach Pro kit, Eibach Pro damper kit, Pro 5.0 shifter, 13 inch vented and sloted rotors with Cobra PBR calipers.

1985 Convertible-V6 to V8 conversion. 2000 GT brakes and wheels. 1992 EFI motor.

1964 Ford falcon Hardtop with 1990 5.0 EFI motor
Old 04-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleencoupe1985 View Post
nonono just try what i said please i have helped at least 40 people on here with that problem
make that 41!!

Thank you, you just fixed my turn signal problem, blower motor problem and convertible top problem all at one time.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:11 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Toy View Post
i got it! THANK GOD!

One thing though, since I'm not 100% familiar with these cars, when the blinkers go on, only the very inner light blinks, not the outside one as well.

Is this normal?

Jason
Old thread, but I have the same question! On my first fox body now and only the inside blinkers, well, blink!?
Old 04-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #25

Trader Feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfRed00GT View Post
Old thread, but I have the same question! On my first fox body now and only the inside blinkers, well, blink!?
Normal...

Also, if your blinkers don't work but your hazzards do and you replaced all the flashers/relays/fuses, etc... pull out the flasher switch out of the dash and there is a orange wire that is likely loose. I had the same issue and my orange wire had worked it's self out and after I secured it back in there, it all works now.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:05 AM   #26

Trader Feedback: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakerhood View Post
mine does this too. ever figure out why?
Dyno tuned/stock 19lb injectors 305rwhp/306tq.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckb View Post
mine does this too. ever figure out why?
No, I never messed with it, just kinda learned to live with it. Although since I replaced the Flasher it will light up every so often.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #28

Trader Feedback: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
Normal...

Also, if your blinkers don't work but your hazzards do and you replaced all the flashers/relays/fuses, etc... pull out the flasher switch out of the dash and there is a orange wire that is likely loose. I had the same issue and my orange wire had worked it's self out and after I secured it back in there, it all works now.
Where is this switch and what does it look like? My turn signals are out but everything else works fine. Fuses are good. Going to try this but not sure what it looks like?

Thanks,

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement