bypassing the clutch switch - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2005, 04:30 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

bypassing the clutch switch

I'm trying to bypass the clutch switch in my 91, but I'm having some trouble. I identified the little gray box that appears to be the switch. There are two plug locations on it, only one had a plug in it. I found the other plug that wasn't plugged in, it had 3 wires in it. I left that plug alone. The plug that was plugged into the switch had 3 red with a little bluish stripe wires in it. I unplugged it and cut the wires. I tried every combination of putting those wires together, but none of them gave power to the starter. What should I do? Should I try plugging in the other plug, or cut all those wires and try wiring them together? Also, I accidentily cut two wires that plugged into a little thing on the brake pedal that had a tiny spring in it. What are those wires? Thanks for the help. I have to figure this out or my car won't be going anywhere soon.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2005, 05:00 PM   #2

Why do you want to bypass that?? the wires you cut on your brak pedal are for your brake light switch.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-26-2005, 05:03 PM   #3

I used a 20 amp fuse to bypass the clutch interlock when I was looking for problems with the starting circuit. Turned out that the switch was bad. The red/blue is the starter circuit, the other is for the cruise control. It disengages the cruise when you hit the clutch. If you wired them together and it still wont start, the problem is elsewhere.

O/C 9
Tire Abuser
11.41@119.45

Somebody stop the madness! And pass the hot sauce please?
Dedpedal Racing
I GOT MY MUFFLERS BACK!!
Old 02-26-2005, 05:14 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (15)

man all u had to do was to leave everything pluged into the switch pull the little arm(from the switch) off to where it goes onto the clutch pedal(little pin holds it onto the clutch pedal)push the arm in and throw some duct tape on it and it would have work and u could have hooked it back up if u ever wanted it back.later
Old 02-26-2005, 05:22 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIUhortguy
I'm trying to bypass the clutch switch in my 91, but I'm having some trouble. I identified the little gray box that appears to be the switch. There are two plug locations on it, only one had a plug in it. I found the other plug that wasn't plugged in, it had 3 wires in it. I left that plug alone. The plug that was plugged into the switch had 3 red with a little bluish stripe wires in it. I unplugged it and cut the wires. I tried every combination of putting those wires together, but none of them gave power to the starter. What should I do? Should I try plugging in the other plug, or cut all those wires and try wiring them together? Also, I accidentily cut two wires that plugged into a little thing on the brake pedal that had a tiny spring in it. What are those wires? Thanks for the help. I have to figure this out or my car won't be going anywhere soon.
I bypassed the clutch interlock safety switch when I went automatic. It's easy.

Connect all 3 of those red wires with the blue stripe on them and you will bypass it.

2008 Subaru Impreza WRX
Old 03-14-2005, 12:01 PM   #6

Ok, well you guys were right...as soon as I soldered those 3 red/blue wires together I could start it without the clutch in. However, yesterday after I put in a new steering rack I suddenly could not get any power when I turn the key. I did get it started using a screwdriver on the solenoid, but I can't figure out why it won't crank with the key. I looked at the red/blue wires again and they appear to still be together. Any idea where I should start to try and fix this?
Old 03-14-2005, 01:16 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (8)

hehe, forgot a connector on the column huh?

double check all the connections, make sure they're nice and tight. That column can be a mother****er sometimes
Old 03-15-2005, 01:21 AM   #8

Hmm, well I made sure the connection was nice and tight still and it is. Is there any kind of tests or something I can do to try and find out where the ****ing problem is coming from?
Old 03-15-2005, 05:54 AM   #9

Trader Feedback: (8)

start at the fender relay and work your way back to the ignition switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement