how much power will a stock AOD handle? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2004, 07:08 PM   #1
Banned

Trader Feedback: (1)

how much power will a stock AOD handle

might be getting a 92 coupe (completely stock) and need to know will the trans hold up to mods???

thanks
Charged up is banned  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2004, 07:36 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (0)

Do a search, we just were talking about this. I hope that in there we can help ya out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-18-2004, 08:29 PM   #3

I don't know what a stock AOD will take, but with a non lockup converter a Lentech VB and an A servo mine has been running mid to low 12s for a long time. In stock form an AOD is going to perform like crap anyway so I would just plan on spending money on at least a shift kit and converter (non lockup seems to help with durability) . BTW mine has no internal modifications.

Good Luck
Best 1/4 ET/MPH 10.56/125.5
Old 12-18-2004, 09:14 PM   #4

wow, we even titled them almost the same... here is my thread from a couple months ago... it will pretty much answer your question.
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=563946
Old 12-18-2004, 09:40 PM   #5

rated at 400hp with proper lockup shaft.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:04 PM   #6

That's a loaded question. All depends on how hard you're going to drive the car. An AOD is only as good as it's built. Based on the fact your tapped out on funds to rebuild the trans with better internals or buy a trans I would reframe from 1-D-1 shifting, foot braking, or simply hard acceleration.
However, if you want to increase the life of your trans install a tranny cooler and change the trans filter and fluid often.
I went through (2) trans on a totally stock motor in a month. But, I beat the piss out of them. I put in a Trans-Go shift kit in the second trans and it worked awesome for the first 100 miles, until the bands couldn't take the neck snapping shifts. But that could've been simply due to the unknown mileage on the trans. The last AOD was out of a Mark VII. I had the driveshaft shortened to make up for the longer tailshaft, put in a Lentech VB, 2800 rpm stall converter, tranny cooler and that setup (surprisingly) took everything I threw at it even countless 125hp shot of nitrous on slicks.
An AOD can be built to last and hold a lot of torque. You just have to have it built to meet your demands.
Good luck,
Jeff
'89 LX, 6#PD, 11.63@117, stock block & cam (soon to be S-Trim'd)
'88 GT, 12.40@110, AOD, 125HP NOS, 194K miles on stock block.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:07 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (2)

When my first transmission went out after 200,000 miles. I got a freshly rebuilt unit out of a friends wrecked GT. I beat the piss out of that transmission for years until the lock-up shaft broke taking out the converter. Most Lock-up transmissions have a clutch in the converter.. the AOD was the first overdrive transmission and all of the lock-up occurs inside the transmission. Lock-up is very hard on internals.. usually one of the first things to go is the lock-up shaft.. it's a solid shaft but isn't strong enough to handle all the force exerted during lock-up... When I built up my transmission the only parts that increased the handling capacity of the transmission is the hardened lock-up shaft and 6 friction drum... everything else is just to make the transmission more reliable on the streets... So If you don't mind taking out the transmission the lock-up shaft just slips in. the only other thing you might have to worry about is that since it is an older transmission the clutches might burn up before something has a chance to break.

the hardened lock-up shaft is around $170.. a good shift kit will also help make the transmission more fun to drive and will help preserve the life of the transmission by speeding up the shifts which cuts down on clutch wear... also as listed an aftermarket trasnsmission cooler is a MUST.. heat will destroy the AOD's very quickly and the stock cooler, simply is not enough.

Last, make sure to have the TV pressure checked every once in a while because if the pressure gets too far out of range it will burn up the transmission... I know!
Full exhaust, and 3:55 gears, Homebrew AOD,
Best E.T to date 14.02 @ 98.7
Unofficial Baumann Spokesperson
Old 12-19-2004, 02:54 AM   #8

Trader Feedback: (4)

AOD Info

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/article80.html
Old 12-19-2004, 10:31 AM   #9

Trader Feedback: (4)

Too much tv pressure is better than not enough. always run a cooler, i run a cooler and a little mercedes pusher fan.
i have a stock output shaft and a tci streetfighter convertor, Tci pro something or another rebuild kit with their shift kit, the case is an 84 mark vii case and the tailshaft is a thunderbirds.. my problems have been the trans sticks in gear, and ive changed the fuild a rediculous amount of times i like the tv pressure above 32 psi in the middle port of the trans and i always do the d1d shuffle, if not even with the trans shift kit, the car shifts at 5000 rpm. i also even on new transmissions would recommend lucas' stop slip additive, since it has been added the shifts are almost positive like a manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement