Will a T5 from a 99-01 V6 Mustang fit a 90 302 engine? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2004, 09:22 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Will a T5 from a 99-01 V6 Mustang fit a 90 302 engine?

Will the T5 from a 99-2001 V6 Mustang bolt up to a 1990 Mustang 302 with stock flywheel, clutch, bellhousing, etc..?

The person selling it says the only change it needs to fit is a different input shaft on the transmission. Is this correct? Is this the only thing I have to change?

Also this trans has an electronic speedo output can connect any brand electronic speedo to this output?

Thanks!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2004, 09:51 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (9)

Moving to General Tech... please keep Engine Tech, engine related.

SVT
465rwhp/460rwtq on Mustang Dyno
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-23-2004, 09:52 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (2)

it SHOULD be basically the same unless I'm really mistaken... you'll need the 5.0 bellhousing and input shaft for sure, the rest should bolt up. Don't know about the speedometer but I thought the 5.0's used cable speedometers?

BTW, this is not engine tech
Old 02-23-2004, 10:00 PM   #4

Are the guts the same? I thought V6 cars had wimpy internals? I'm really curious, I've got a 2000 V6 in the garage waiting to receive the drivetrain from my recently totaled 95. It would be nice to take a fews years off the T5.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:09 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (6)

if the car is a 90 then no.. Input shaft is to long... 94-95 302 guys can easily... Also the 99+ V6 T5 handle little over 300 ft lbs or torque... I'm running one.. All you need to do is swap the tail shaft and swap your Internal drive gear over and your set... now on the 90 Car your going to have to swap the input shaft or whatever you guys do to get a 94-95 T5 to bolt up since it identical minus the tailshaft...
Old 02-23-2004, 10:13 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (2)

from what I'm reading, up to 97 the 3.8 T5 was only rated for 265. No idea about 98+.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:18 PM   #7

up till 98 they were rated at 265.... 99+ is when they had a change in tranny strength...
Old 02-23-2004, 11:08 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies.

I got the info below from moderndriveline.com -- "T5 History". If the info below is correct it sounds like the only difference is the input shaft and the electronic speedo. Can anyone confirm that if I change the input shaft this trans will bolt up to my 90 Mustang 302??

"Today's V-6 Mustangs sports the last of the T-5s. The T-5 behind the 3.8L is a 3.35 first gear set with a .68 over drive. What makes these different from the rest is the electronic speedometer trigger. No longer is there a mechanical driven cable system. It has the longer input shaft equipped with a steel front bearing retainer and reverse synchro brake assembly. Torque rating is 300ft/lbs."
Factory Five MKIII Cobra #3892RD

Check out: MyKobra.com

302 w/ Forged Rods/Pistons Stock Iron Heads, Vortech V1-S Trim, Mighty Demon 650 Modded for Blow-thru, Polished Air Gap Intake, New T5, 4 Whl. Discs, Hallibrand Cobra III Wheels 17x9 & 17x10.5.

"She might not look like much, but she's got it where it counts kid" -Han Solo
Old 02-24-2004, 07:06 PM   #9

ttt

302 w/ Forged Rods/Pistons Stock Iron Heads, Vortech V1-S Trim, Mighty Demon 650 Modded for Blow-thru, Polished Air Gap Intake, New T5, 4 Whl. Discs, Hallibrand Cobra III Wheels 17x9 & 17x10.5.

Old 02-24-2004, 07:41 PM   #10

Sounds like I almost have a bolt in solution there, since my T5 is in a 2000 V6 and my drivetrain is from my 95. Just gotta figure out how to make all the wiring work...
Old 02-24-2004, 09:22 PM   #11

no wiring to worry about... just the tailshaft... very easy...
Old 02-25-2004, 01:48 AM   #12

SorsCode,

When you say you only have to worry about the tailshaft what do you mean by that? I am still a bit confused here??

As an update, I went ahead and ordered the T5 we have been talking about. So I will be finding out first hand if it is in fact a direct bolt-on with the new input shaft (which it already has installed). This will not being going in a Mustang rather it will be going into a Factory Five Roadster that calls for an 87-93 Mustang T5 and has the trans mount in the position for the 87-93 Mustang so we will see, I guess

Old 02-25-2004, 02:14 AM   #13

Trader Feedback: (22)

Isn't the tailshaft part of the entire main shaft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE
Do you want to get the bolt out, or do you want to worry about getting your skirt dirty?
Old 02-25-2004, 07:51 AM   #14

tailshaft housing.. its just a few bolts you have to remove.. my question is do you already have a t5 in yours??? if not your going to have to get one and the interneal speedo geat and extrnal speedo gear to match your gear ration. 99+ are Electionical driven... 98 and below are mechanical.....
Old 02-25-2004, 11:54 AM   #15

SorsCode...

I am actually planning on using an electronic speedo so I don't need it to have the mechanical output. Are the tailshafts where the trans mounts are? Do those two tailshafts have the mounts in different positions?

Thanks

Old 02-25-2004, 12:13 PM   #16

that I can't tell you... all I know is for us 94-95 Mustang /GT/Cobra owners we just swap the tailshaft housing... put are internal drive gear in it and bolt it back in and where done.... if your running a electronic speedo then I have no idea... but I believe the only difference in the tailshaft housing is that the speedo hole is not there... thats all I know thats different...

Danny..

Let me know how it goes.. I'm very interested.... I do know though the input shaft is longer than the 88-93 or what ever year you fox guys go buy...
Old 02-25-2004, 02:29 PM   #17

Danny,

We'll see how it goes. I should have the trans within a week or so. I will be able to see how it connects to my 302 as soon as I have it, but I won't be able to check if the trans mounts are in the right place until I get my Cobra in May.

I hope this works!!
-Kris

Old 02-25-2004, 02:59 PM   #18

should... if worse comes to worse you'll just have to get a 94-95 Bellhousing and clutchfork...where did you order your tranny from?
Old 02-25-2004, 03:10 PM   #19

I actually bought it from a person who is also building a Cobra. The trans is brand new. He says he test fitted it to the 302 and into the car but never actually used it. That is why he is soo certain that it will work. I will keep you posted.

I have seen these transmissions for less than $800 brand new (already with the proper input shaft added) so if this works I think lots of guys may benefit.

Not to mention the fact that there should be plenty of wrecked 99-up V6 Stangs in junk yards. Do you know how difficult/expensive changing the input shaft would be on one of these trans from a junk yard??

Last edited by Kobra4Kris; 02-25-2004 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:58 PM   #20

not sure never hand to change input shafts luckily... sorry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement