AOD wont shift into Overdrive???? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2003, 10:22 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Unhappy AOD wont shift into Overdrive????

I am posting for a friend of mine with a 1990 lx 5.0 with an AOD POS, in it. The AOD works fine but will not shift into OD. Does anyone know what is up with this Piece of *hit?? ANyone had this problem?? Any help is greaaaaaaatly appreciated!! thanks a lot!

Geoff
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2003, 10:30 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (0)

sounds like your over drive band went to lunch, what is the condition of the fluid? Level?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-09-2003, 11:15 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (4)

Yeah, i am going to have to go with the 1.5" Od band bad, I had 4th neutral also right now. Try dropping the pan, new filter, Put one or two lucas stop slip into it and turn up TV pressure, might be able to save it, mine is limping around like this right now. damn b servo.

I bet it happened after you serviced the trans, just taking a guess.

Your 3/4 shift valve could be stuck/clogged with **** or the lockup convertor might not be working properly, AOD has 60% D lockup and 100% in OD, making it critcal to have a good servo and thick/durable band..
Old 12-10-2003, 09:12 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (3)

you mean you are going with the 2 inch band ?

My od band broke in half after a full throttle shift last month . It would then shift fine 1-3 , and when shifted to 4th would just neutral out until I pulled the shifter into D .
Old 12-13-2003, 08:37 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (11)

I have had a few friends that lost OD after a fluid change!! How crazy is that!@!!
Old 12-13-2003, 10:36 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (9)

Moving to General Tech... please keep Engine Tech, engine related.

SVT
465rwhp/460rwtq on Mustang Dyno
Old 12-13-2003, 11:59 AM   #7

Trader Feedback: (14)

Most likely he fried the OD band. But check out the TV pressure and make sure it is correct. Also there is a little groumet that goes bad where the TV cable meets up by the throttle body.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:01 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (14)

Quote:
Originally posted by Musclestang
[b

My od band broke in half after a full throttle shift last month . It would then shift fine 1-3 , and when shifted to 4th would just neutral out until I pulled the shifter into D . [/B]
You should not being doing WOT shifts into OD with a AOD.
Old 12-13-2003, 12:31 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (2)

YOu can replace the Over drive band yourself... It's not that hard at all but if this is a high mileage transmission it might just be time for a rebuild...

If you want to try replacing you OD band.. you need to go get a AOD service manual... What you will have to do is pull the transmission, take off the pan undo the 20something valvebody bolts and then locate and pull the OD servo (good time to upgrade to a "A" or "A+" Overdrive servo - They apply more force to the band so they don't slip excessively on the 3-4 shift.. They just swap in.. literally take 2 second to swap the part) Next pull the front pump, remove the 2nd gear clutches and you will see the band.. just pull it out! replace it with a new band (stock band is $15) put it in per the directions in the manual and then put everything back together in the same order you took it apart... Since I rebuilt my transmission I could do this again in about an hour.. It might take you a little longer

Or what you could do is just take the whole transmission to a tranny shop and tell them you would like the OD band changed out... they can usually tell by the 2nd gear clutches, the condition of the fluid (burnt) whether or not you need a whole new rebuild... When I was getting quotes on a rebuild... It was normally $200-$300 cheaper if you bring them just the transmission and then you install it...

Tell your friend "Good luck" with whatever he chooses

Scott
Full exhaust, and 3:55 gears, Homebrew AOD,
Best E.T to date 14.02 @ 98.7
Unofficial Baumann Spokesperson
Old 12-13-2003, 12:35 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally posted by 89SmokeCoupe
You should not being doing WOT shifts into OD with a AOD.
A stock AOD Isn't supposed to shift in OD under WOT unless you let off the gas, let the car upshift into OD, and then get back into the throttle!

There is a bypass mod that you can do to AOD's to make them shift into Overdrive @ WOT... This is mainly for drag racing purposes ONLY.. Although with a Stock OD band it is really stupid no matter how you look at it.... My Baumann shift kit has that option (If you want) but Baumann REALLY suggests you not do it unless it is for a race only AOD...
Full exhaust, and 3:55 gears, Homebrew AOD,
Best E.T to date 14.02 @ 98.7
Unofficial Baumann Spokesperson
Old 12-13-2003, 12:48 PM   #11

Trader Feedback: (17)

all too common
Old 12-13-2003, 01:53 PM   #12

Trader Feedback: (4)

Quote:
Originally posted by Musclestang
you mean you are going with the 2 inch band ?

My od band broke in half after a full throttle shift last month . It would then shift fine 1-3 , and when shifted to 4th would just neutral out until I pulled the shifter into D .
no i meant im going to have to guess the 1.5 stock aod band went.

the 2" band upgrade from the Aode is a cool swap.

MylittleHO,
Let me know how much you spent on tools, what did you use to compress the clutches into the drums? what slap hammers did you use to get the front pump out? what rebuild kit did you use and are you overall satisfied with the final product?

My AOD Woes came after i went from my pa valvebody that a friend bought from me to a stocker with a trans go shift kit.
the 3-4 bypass tube that you install, leaked like a sob and im thinking 3rd and 4th were'nt getting enough oil. I will never use any of their products and advise against them.

Last edited by Noelsmustangs; 12-13-2003 at 02:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement