torn dust boot on a new balljoint....how long will it last? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2003, 08:25 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

torn dust boot on a new balljoint....how long will it last?

I was adjusting my clutch cable yesterday, and I just happened to be looking at my control arm on the driver's side and I noticed some excess grease near the balljoint. I looked on the top part of the balljoint and saw that the dust boot was torn. I don't know how it tore, my car is lowered, but that shouldn't have anything to do with it, or should it? The balljoints are less than a year old, and the passenger side balljoint looks fine.

I'm wondering how long this balljoint will last without a good dust boot protecting it?

Thanks,
C. Focker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2003, 10:46 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (0)

Hard to say, a month to a year i would guess. When I lowered my car; it had a habit of quickly chewing up the lower balljoint boot covers too.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:00 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (5)

You should be able to buy a new boot for it at your local parts store. Replace the boot now instead of the hole joint a couple months down the road.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-04-2003, 10:56 AM   #4

Your'e right Plumcrazy; you can get them in the HELP! section of most major parts stores. One word of caution though. They are made of very thin & cheap rubber. I did this "trick" & they split faster than the O.E. rubber boot that origionally were on there. In fact, one split in less than 24 hours of use. What I did find was that some stores had Energy Suspension poly boots; they worked fantastic & are still on my car years later....
Old 11-05-2003, 07:47 AM   #5

I'm going to check out those Energy Suspension ones. Also, another question: in order to put the new boot on, I have to drop the control right?
Old 11-05-2003, 09:26 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (4)

I'm interested in this too, I busted mine up pretty bad while trying to get my spindles off.

CF, let me know where you find the Energy Suspension boots at.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-05-2003, 10:43 AM   #7

Trader Feedback: (3)

i busted mine on my probe gt , i used electrical tape to seal them up , and never had problem for 2 years untill the repo man came and took the car .
03 RSX-S
Old 11-05-2003, 11:06 AM   #8

Yes, you have to pop the balljoint to install the new boot. By the way, the Energy Susp. boots, I found them at a Kragen Autoparts store. They had a section with only Energy Susp. stuff all grouped together. The boots may have not been specifically for the Mustang, but comparing it to the stock one; it looked like it would work....
Old 11-05-2003, 12:00 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (4)

when you say pop the balljoint, do you mean remove it out of the A-arm?
Old 11-05-2003, 12:31 PM   #10

No. Put front end on stands, put floor jack under control arm, rememove the nut, lower the jack a small amount to allow the lower control arm to release from spindle when you whack the side to "pop" the balljoint from the spindle, slowly lower until stud portion of balljoint clears the spindle hole, remove old boot & install new one, reassemble as removed. Be careful & slow because of the coil spring....
Old 12-03-2003, 08:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by Rotten
i busted mine on my probe gt , i used electrical tape to seal them up , and never had problem for 2 years untill the repo man came and took the car .
YES!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement