Balance weight on the brake drum? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2003, 12:09 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Balance weight on the brake drum?

On the brake drums on my 88 Coupe theres a rectangular chunk of metal, I assume to balance the assembly. Anyone know for sure where it goes in relationship to the rest of the assembly?

Reason being, I was running on 265/50R15 Dunlops and switched to 275/60R15 Nitto drag radials and the last time I was at the track I was getting some serious rear end shimmy at the big end of the track.

I had the tires rebalanced at a different place and he did say they were a little off, and they also balanced them using weigh on the inside and the outside, which he said should make them a little truer. But he said he didn't know/didn't think the amount they were off would be enough to make a noticeable shimmy.

I know I took the drums off to check my brakes while I was swapping wheels over but I wasn't paying attention so I don't know the original position of that weight. I can provide pics if anyone isn't sure what I'm talking about.

I figure its one of three things, the tires being out of balance, that weight being in the incorrect position, or the fact that my car is 15 years old and I'm sure most of the components in the suspension are original and well worn (Everything looks okay, including my torque boxes, but I would guess the shocks arent in the greatest shape and I'm sure all the bushings are pretty much shot). I'm leaning towards the latter explanation as the cause, and that it just wasn't noticeable with the much smaller tires, but I can't do anything about that right now and I'm going to the track tonight so I want to make sure I do anything I can.

Any info on that weights placement or any general advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't think the shimmy was enough that I have to worry about losing control but it was definitely disconcerting.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2003, 12:16 PM   #2
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (9)

The weight balances the drum, not the "assembly", since the drum is the only part of the brakes that rotates. Doesn't matter if you swap it to the other side.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement