Ford Mustang Forums banner

fix the peel on my steering wheel

8K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  Mustang5L5 
#1 ·
the leather on my tan steering in peeling away and it looks like crap, is there any way to fix it?

#4 ·
Wheel peel

I had the same problem. I got an FR500 wheel. Don't know any way to fix it other than replacement except maybe a cover.

#5 ·
Damn, what did you expect? Did you think you could just walk into AutoZone and pick up a product called "Freaking Miracle in a Freaking Bottle Guaranteed to Fix What the Freaking Acidic Oils in your Freaking Hands did to your Freaking Steering Wheel or your Freaking money back?"

Maybe you could buy some tan colored electrical tape. Should give it more character than the peeling leather cover. :rolleyes:

#9 ·
I also replaced the stock steering wheel (which was also peeling) with an FR500 steering wheel. It's definitely nicer. Just a suggestion.

#10 ·
I got a wheelskinz for my car. The charcoal matches pretty well and it's pretty easy to put in.

YOu can find them at http://www.autotoystore.com

#11 ·
Go to Metromustang and get some vinyl dye in the color you need. Then clean your steering wheel with some alcohol or something and spray the dye. I did it last spring, and it looks like new. Plus if you mess up, you are no worse off than you were before, just get a new wheel.

Ford charges like $300 for a new wheel.

#12 ·
What "Spreadman" said! I got mine at WheelSkins.com.

High quality item, about $40, takes some time to install (properly). The new cover thickens up the steering wheel a bit so the feel is much better than the stocker.

#14 ·
I covered mine with one of those thick $7 Autozone wheel covers that just slips on. It takes a little getting used to since it makes the wheel so much thicker, but I couldn't live w/o it now.
BTW, my wheel wasn't peeling, but thanks to the wealth of information on this board, I saw that this was a problem and did some preventive medicine on my '03 when it had less than 500 mile on it.

Jason

#19 ·
StangNut said:
I covered mine with one of those thick $7 Autozone wheel covers that just slips on. It takes a little getting used to since it makes the wheel so much thicker, but I couldn't live w/o it now.
BTW, my wheel wasn't peeling, but thanks to the wealth of information on this board, I saw that this was a problem and did some preventive medicine on my '03 when it had less than 500 mile on it.

Jason
Exactly what i did.

#21 ·
Wheel

The FR500 only runs $150-$175. Takes your stock airbag, horn buttons and cruise control buttons. It's a lot thicker and leather covered. It's the way to go.

#22 ·
Resurrecting an old thread. Just got a 2001 GT that has the problem of the fake leather peeling away at the top of the steering wheel. Any further info on fixes? I'm really nervous about buying a used one, because the same thing could happen. Unless anyone knows if for example, they fixed this sometime during the New Edge run to 2004? (I'm kind of surprised too. I had an '89 5.0 LX up until earlier this year, and no issues whatsoever with that steering wheel. But I had a big issue with the punk kid who rear ended me, on his cell phone, the dickwad.)

There are FR5000 replicas on eBay from LMR, and there are good reviews on their web site about that one.

Right now, I have the ghetto fix of black duct tape covering up the peeling spot. Stops it at least for now ...

#27 ·
On a different car, I used a knife to trim off the old leather covering and bought a leather wrap from Wheelskins.com. I installed it where the factory leather was and it came out decently. Doesn't look OEM, but was good enough to me.

Short of a new wheel, I think you may have to go that route. Apolstery shops may also offer wheel rewrap services as well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.