Have any of you ever had an Ignition Coil go bad?What were the Symptoms? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2003, 10:41 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (101)

Have any of you ever had an Ignition Coil go bad?What were the Symptoms?

Hey guys,

I have been having an annoying Missing problem with my car only on Deceleration..The car drives Fine when under throttle,but as soon as you let off the throttle to come to a stop the car misses and stumbles like its not getting any Fire..Then when you Step on the throttle again, it Misses for 2 seconds like the plugs are fouled and then it suddenly clears up and drives Perfect..

Reason I ask this about the Coil is because My buddy told me his car had the exact same problem and the Coil was the culprit..He said it was because he washed the motor and sprayed it off with the water hose and it messed up the coil for some reason..My Bodyman just 2 months or so ago just Hosed my engine bay and the Coil with it so do you think that could be my problem?OH BTW, my Crane HI-6 is Bypassed but when I hook the Box up, it runs 100% WORSE and the missing is Much worse with the Box installed..Im just wondering because I need to get this thing Fixed and Driving ASAP..Thanks for all replies..

Jeff
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2003, 12:29 AM   #2
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (36)

check for:

1) bad plug wires: in the cark, preferably at night OR in a very dark garage, with the car running and the hood open (kill hood light) - spray windex over the distributor and each spark plug wire near the heads... if you get a light show (sparks), then your plug wires are bad. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO TOUCH the wires when they are wet while the car is runnign IF they DO SPARK... you will get anice electrical ZAP...

2) check for loose spark plugs

3) when was the last time your distributor cap/rotor was replaced?

4) the coil COULD be bad - the only way to find out is find another stock coil and put it in the place of the old one.. if you get the same issue occuring, it was not the coil...

some of the above should be helpful.. You have to do process of elimination first, before just going ot and buying parts you may not need...
1994 Cobra coupe SVT #0013, 2011 Genesis Coupe
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-06-2003, 12:40 AM   #3

Phil,

The Plug wires are like 1 month old and they Are not Arcing Fire..I have checked already..The plugs I run are Autolite 3923 gapped at .032 and they are new...The coil is a Crane PS-92 and I bought it when I bought my Crane HI-6..Like I said, with the Crane Box hooked up, the car is not drivable because it wants to Miss so bad when you let off the gas it will Die.. I Bypassed the HI-6 and the miss is still there but not NEARLY as bad..Its at least Drivable with it Bypassed..One other thing I noticed is that when the car is hot /normal temperature it dont want to start....Its not a problem I have ever seen before ....

Jeff
Old 08-06-2003, 12:54 AM   #4
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (36)

The Crane box and any box like it (MSD's, Jacobs, etc) only AMPLIFIES the spark coming off the coil/spark plugs when they are hooked inline with those components... it amplifies the spark detonation when theplugs fire to burn the fuel more efficiently.

So, what your Crane is actually doingis amplifying the problem... which is obvious, because you said without the Crane, the probel still exists, but not as bad.

Did you try pulling the plugs and trying another type of plug?

Also, how is your TFI module? Is the spout connector plug still in the actual spout connector on the TFI harness?

Have you pulled the cap off the distributor to check the condition of the terminals underneath?

Are all of your spark plug wires attached securely? What wires are you running?

Is the firing order and the way the wires are connected at the heads correct?

Do you have any lose ground wires, or any other wires in the engine bay that *could* be arcing against metal or another wire?

Hey, some of them may be stupid questions, but it's always better to go over even the things you may think are ok... sometimes it's somthing so small that was overlooked, you end up kicking yourself in the rear later.. LOL..

good luck.. I can't possibly think of anything else that would be causing the problem...along the iginiton path anyhow..
1994 Cobra coupe SVT #0013, 2011 Genesis Coupe
Old 08-06-2003, 01:02 AM   #5

Phil,

Thanks for the Reply man...I only Use autolite plugs but I tried both 3924s and 3923s and nothing changed..The TFI Module is the Factory Stock module and I had it tested at 2 Shops and Both shops said it was Fine and nothing was wrong with it...My Spout connector is In and the timing is set to 12*...The Cap and Rotor are Brand new and Im running FMS wires...They are all on correctly and Tight... I will have to check for the loose Ground wires....Im pretty sure they are all attatched securely but I cant be sure...Thanks for the Replies..

Jeff
Old 08-06-2003, 09:18 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (0)

That plug gap is MIGHTY tight. I would imagine you would want at least 0.045" minimum maybe up to 0.055" this would give you a better flame. It may be possible you are running a tighter gap to compensate for a weak spark (and also for the increased cyl pressure due to your supercharger)

The coil can give a weak spark, a spark energy tester can help. This plugs into the wire and has to jump across a known gap. If you get a spark but cant pass the tester jump, the coil is junk. This happened to my buddys Astro Van, got spark at the plugs, but barely ran. Shop tested coil, failed, new coil, ran fine.

Coils can also heat up and short out similar to a TFI failure, I had this happen to my old Ventura during a snow storm headed to Waterville valley, and that was a 6 month old coil, I replaced the 12 year old original unit for "piece of mind" jeez

A new TFI module is a good idea as they fail without notice, but probably not your problem.

Either the coil is bad, or maybe the magnetic trigger in the distributor is shot.

http://www.crownvic.us/forum/attachm...achmentid=7180
2001 P-73, Maurader Airbox/MAF, DR chip Edel IAS shocks
93 P-71 160,000 miles All Stock 3.27 open rear
Backup car now

74 Chevy Laguna type S-3
Project car, 500 HP 454 project 4 bolt main block, oval port heads. Tired 305 finally headed for the junk pile
Currently apart undergoing bodywork.

Last edited by Chevyguy; 08-06-2003 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-12-2003, 04:26 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (0)

figure it out?
3.73's + rebuilt Trac-lok
BBK shorties, bassani xpipe (with cats), flowmasters
March power & amp pullies w/ 160A 3g
AOD w/ TransGO shift kit,FMS Aluminum Driveshaft
27" Summit Aluminum radiator & Ramcharger fan
powerbond balancer
Old 10-12-2003, 09:55 PM   #8

Soulcrusher,

I still haven't figured out the missing problem on Deceleration.The car still does it but one thing that I have found out is it DOES NOT miss at all with the blower belt OFF? It drives Fine and without ANY missing and the check engine light never comes on. Im wondering if could be a MAF problem or its not clocked right?What do you all think??

Jeff
Old 10-12-2003, 10:58 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (3)

when my accel coil went bad this is how it happened,one day i washed my car and then it wouldnt start afterwards,i cranked it forever and nothing happened,i thought it just got wet,about 45 mins later it started,worked ok for another week,drove it 250 miles one way,parked it.next morning,no start,no spark going to the cap,put my stock coil back on and it started on the first try.i bought a stock replacement borg warner starter and its been two yrs with no problems,25$
Old 10-13-2003, 07:45 AM   #10

I know the coil is not my problem because I replaced it with an MSD coil and 6AL box.The miss is under deceleration right when you let off the gas.Its more like a stumble and it dont do it at all with the blower belt OFF.I have no clue what could possibly be wrong unless my MAF isnt Clocked right..

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement