Foxbody - Springs/Struts/Shocks Combo - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-17-2017, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
Foxbody - Springs/Struts/Shocks Combo

I just picked up a pristine '87 GT, completely stock. I'm on the hunt for a well-matched springs and dampers combo that won't go over $1k. I'd like something that'll turn this sloppy handling to something firmer and sharper for spirited driving through back roads and be able to corner hard, but not jarringly stiff for DD'ing. Comfort isn't the biggest deal to me as my last car was a '92 Miata (you can now see where I'm coming from, lol). I also don't want to drop any lower than 1.5" to accommodate 10" wheels. So far I've come down to 2 sets after doing research:

H&R Sport Springs + Bilstein HD Series: It seems to me that Bilsteins are top notch when it comes to affordability, quality and performance, and I've heard a good handful of people run H&R sports with them. I'm just not sure if those springs are a good match/if they are too soft (similar to Eibach's pro kit).

Eibach's Pro System Spring, Shock and Strut Kit: Eibachs... I've heard so many mixed reviews about them. Some say their quality is spectacular and their performance is perfect for DD'ing without being too soft. SOME say they are soft as sh** and there are plenty of better choices out there... I like the fact that they come in a kit and the rates are matched, but I don't want to drop my money on an upgrade with negligible benefits, ya know?

I'm open to other options and would love to hear your guys' personal experiences and/or suggestions. Thanks!

1987 Mustang GT, 59k original miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-18-2017, 07:49 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Garage
Without getting into coilover setups, you have narrowed it down to a couple of really good choices. It will be interesting to see some of the responses.
I was actually looking to go with a combination of your choices (so not in a true kit as you requested) by going with the Bilstein shocks & struts with the Eibach Pro springs on my 90 LX convertible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1990 Light Crystal Blue LX 5.0 Convertible
post #3 of 8 Old 06-18-2017, 11:03 AM

Trader Feedback: (59)
I am also tying to narrow down spring/suspension combo for my 93GT street cruiser. Like the o.p opinions on Eibach shocks/struts seem to vary greatly.
I think I'm going to stick with my pro-kit springs and match them up with a set of Bilstein HD shocks/struts and c/c plates, like ragtop 50.

post #4 of 8 Old 06-18-2017, 11:17 AM

Trader Feedback: (59)
Here's some info on matching springs and struts/shocks

Matching spring rates with dampers
post #5 of 8 Old 06-18-2017, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I've been looking for that page--thanks, steel. A little update, I'm almost set on Bilstein's HD series with H&R race springs. Not biting the bullet yet, but I heard their products are fantastic and these springs specifically are perfect for a "street race" set up without lowering too much like the Super Sports.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

post #6 of 8 Old 06-19-2017, 12:17 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
The first thing I would do is sub frame connectors..... I have the Bilsteins on my 98 and on my Dodge pick up and they are excellent!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #7 of 8 Old 06-19-2017, 05:29 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian331 View Post
The first thing I would do is sub frame connectors..... I have the Bilsteins on my 98 and on my Dodge pick up and they are excellent!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I agree! After that, I plan on changing out the seasoned steering rack and shaft.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

post #8 of 8 Old 06-19-2017, 11:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Just went through this on my '93 coupe, 4 cylinder. Gotta make a boring 2.3 a little more interesting to drive ya know. Anyway, I used Eibach springs which were on the other car (92 hatch) when I bought it. Used Tokico blue shocks, stock 16" pony's with 245/50-16 run-of-the mill cheapie tires (nothing special), GT sway bars front and rear with all new bushings, front and rear. Also did the MM hybrid steering shaft, 03 cobra rack & pinion with poly rack bushings.

It handles and drives well enough to suit my needs. It still has a bit of understeer-which is exactly what I wanted-if I push it hard. I'm happy with it for what I do, which is a 100% driver that gets used in the hills almost daily to/from work. It still rides fine. Actually doesn't ride any different than my bone stock 5.0 GT does, maybe slightly better due to new dampers. If I had one complaint it is that the tire shop did not balance the tires well enough and occasionally I'll pick up the slightest vibration at 75-80 mph. I'm picky about stuff like that. SFC's are next, if I only had more time, money, and motivation to work.

WTT my '92 GT for a nice clean '91-'93 2.3/T5 hatch or coupe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement