Ford Mustang Forums banner

Fuel Pump hangers ?

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  kjb302ho 
#1 ·
Let me start by saying my knowledge on the fueling end of things lacks greatly.

Doing a simple 255 drop in on a friends car. I have the pump and all the bits that go with the install...

...aaand then I saw the ProM Fuel Pump Hanger video.

Is the hanger a necessity? Are there easy tricks to make the stock one work well? Or am I simply worried for no reason?

#3 ·
I enjoy DIY projects instead of giving my money away. I modified my stock hanger.
-Remove orange rubber spray cap and clamp
- Use a steel brake line one size bigger than the return line so it will fit over the existing return line.
- Bend line so it hugs along the length of the pump with 90 at the end.,
- test fit into tank multiple times before attaching
- weld or solder new longer return tube and install

The welds are not pretty but holds 40 psi without leakage.

Did this mod a week ago and now no more fuel smell from the charcoal can. Also fuel pressure rock steady with no bounce.
I also get a bit better MPG and seems like more power.

Attachments

#5 ·
Thank you for the pics theYman and thank you guys for the tips. Car is definitely under 500hp. 275 is probably more accurate but the owner keeps hinting at a power adder so my goal is simply not having to revisit this if he decides to order one up.

#6 ·
Why not just clamp a longer rubber fuel hose curved away from pickup onto the return?

#8 ·
the pro m video is absolutely correct. You would be better off with a 155lph for your horsepower. would be quieter as well.

Most tuning issues are fuel related. Tuners "tune" around that. That's why tuner shops ask you to come in with 3/4 tank of fuel. To avoid the cavitation that occurs when you put a pump too big in.

The proof is right there in the video. Just because it fits doesn't mean that its right. '

Been there done that. Get a smaller pump and you will be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.