Which fuel system would you run? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 04-22-2017, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Which fuel system would you run?

So I've pretty much decided to do a better fuel system for my 480rwhp car. It's a 306 w/a Vortech V3 pushing around 10-11psi. I think my factory lines are having trouble keeping up, even with a Aeromotive 340 in the tank. Right now I've got my eye on a couple kits from Glenns performance. Ideally I would like to run a 03/04 tank setup, but can't really afford the $2000+ price tag on that kit.

I'm torn between his 600hp sleeper tank setup w/rails and 600hp pickup setup w/rails. Can anybody explain what would be advantages/disadvantages between these two styles? I feel like the sleeper setup would be better just because the external pump wouldn't have to draw the fuel up through the pickup tube, it can just pull it out the bottom of the tank using gravity to its advantage. Thoughts?

Sleeper tank

Pickup assembly

BTW the car is used mostly for street/cruise in duty, but does see the drag strip a few times a year.

Red 93 GT- 306/TKO/3.73's/Vortech V3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-23-2017, 08:18 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
what makes you think you have a line issue?

post #3 of 18 Old 04-24-2017, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy2000 View Post
what makes you think you have a line issue?
Fuel pressure starts to go up with boost, but starts to drop in the higher rpms (4000+). I thought about trying a new regulator since my Kirban is 12 years old, but figured I would build a fuel system now because I plan on higher horsepower numbers down the road.

post #4 of 18 Old 04-24-2017, 07:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
wouldn't be the reg

but if you have plans for more HP,

start bending up some bigger stainless or Al tubing, won't hurt

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-24-2017, 07:21 PM

Today 03:09 PMCobra34
I need help I have a 2001 gt and bought a 99 cobra motor and what u saying in your messages I trying to understand it take my gt harness wire and cut them to fit on the cobra motor plz expain I already have my gt wire out can u text me or something I can send u pix
post #6 of 18 Old 04-27-2017, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Well I called Glenns last Friday and didn't hear back until Tuesday, by then I had already ordered Pro-M's aftermarket fuel pump hanger. So I'm building my own with the following parts....

Pro-M fuel pump hanger
-06AN PTFE fuel hose
Aeromotive 12345 inline fuel filter
Aeromotive 13109 fuel pressure regulator
Behind Bars Racecars fuel rails
Numerous -06AN fittings obviously with -08AN to -06AN adapters for the fuel rails
I will also be reusing my Aeromotive in-tank 340lph fuel pump and FRPP 42lb injectors.

Saving just a little money going this route, only bad thing about it is it doesn't give me much room to grow if I build a bigger, more powerful engine down the road. I'll probably have to go with a Cobra tank with dual pumps and -08AN lines in that case.

I'm going to see if my car runs any different after I do this system, if it doesn't, I might have to make another trip to my tuner. Wish me luck! I'll probably post some pics in this thread as I start the project.

post #7 of 18 Old 05-17-2017, 10:45 PM

Any updates? Curious to hear what the results to your fuel pressure at upper RPMs were.

91 Notchback
331c.i. H/C/I turbo
post #8 of 18 Old 05-18-2017, 10:33 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
I'll share my thoughts, and my thoughts are only my opinion based on years of experience.

1) I'd do everything in my power to keep my fuel pump submerged. FYI my 4303 (2,000hp as advertised) pump is submerged.

2) I'd do everything in my power to keep Fittings & Lines made by the same manufacturer.

3) Behind Bars makes great products and they have the real world experience to back it up. BBRC also can piece together whatever parts you want. For me personally I'd get Chris @ BBRC to piece together a kit to work with the Pro-M hanger. I'd also ask to use the 9950 regulator.

4) fluid displays many (not all but many) characteristics as Volt Amps when fluid is in laminar flow. If you run huge power wire to supply huge amps. You need equal grounding. If you want to run a big fuel pump, you need to be concerned with a large return to the tank.

5) and this part is highly subjective to only my opinion. I'd run the Pro-M hanger, large pump and work with BBRC to supply Lines, Fittings and the 9950 regulator. This would be the best (subjective) system at the lowest cost along with the simplest installation. A kit like that should have all my previous comments addressed.

6) and this one is only an option, but a suggested option. I'd run a 10 AWG line from my battery to the fuel pump. and use the factory fuel pump wire to trigger a relay for this new wire. Again line loss in electricity shares a few characteristics as line loss of fluids.

These are my opinions, but hopefully they help.

1993 Teal Cobra #2531 1 of 452, 347, Precision 7675, The entire kitchen sink....maybe 2 kitchen sinks at this point!
post #9 of 18 Old 05-18-2017, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

System worked out pretty well, the car actually drives a lot better and smoother than before, especially under low fuel demand. First thing I noticed when I pulled out of my driveway was the car no longer wanted to buck, you can just put it in first gear and it crawls along without drama. I also am no longer losing fuel pressure under high fuel demand. There were three unexpected things that popped up that I wasn't prepared for.

#1) The Pro-M hanger requires that you open up the opening of the tank a little wider. I ended up using some snips to do the job. I feel like Pro-M should probably mention that before you purchase it.

#2) The BBRC rails still had some interference problems with the distributor, after some minor filing on the distributor and a 45* fitting the fitment was tight, but doable.

#3) The BBRC rails sit WAY higher than factory rails, I had to purchase a 1/2" spacer and that still wasn't enough, I ended up doubling up my gaskets and it ended up working well.

I also learned that when your tank goes below 1/2, the big in-tank pump will pump fuel out faster than the sump can fill itself, so keep you tank above half! I also learned that my Aeromotive 340 stealth pump had some sort of purge hose on the bottom of the pump that I may of had blocked off by the rubber grommet that sits between the pump and hanger. I snipped a small portion of the grommet away to allow that little purge hole to breathe. Some pics of the install....

post #10 of 18 Old 05-18-2017, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meegs View Post
I'll share my thoughts, and my thoughts are only my opinion based on years of experience.

1) I'd do everything in my power to keep my fuel pump submerged. FYI my 4303 (2,000hp as advertised) pump is submerged.

2) I'd do everything in my power to keep Fittings & Lines made by the same manufacturer.

3) Behind Bars makes great products and they have the real world experience to back it up. BBRC also can piece together whatever parts you want. For me personally I'd get Chris @ BBRC to piece together a kit to work with the Pro-M hanger. I'd also ask to use the 9950 regulator.

4) fluid displays many (not all but many) characteristics as Volt Amps when fluid is in laminar flow. If you run huge power wire to supply huge amps. You need equal grounding. If you want to run a big fuel pump, you need to be concerned with a large return to the tank.

5) and this part is highly subjective to only my opinion. I'd run the Pro-M hanger, large pump and work with BBRC to supply Lines, Fittings and the 9950 regulator. This would be the best (subjective) system at the lowest cost along with the simplest installation. A kit like that should have all my previous comments addressed.

6) and this one is only an option, but a suggested option. I'd run a 10 AWG line from my battery to the fuel pump. and use the factory fuel pump wire to trigger a relay for this new wire. Again line loss in electricity shares a few characteristics as line loss of fluids.

These are my opinions, but hopefully they help.
I am already running Aeromotive's fuel pump wiring kit that has the heavy gauge wire running back to the pump. Added it when I installed the pump last year.

post #11 of 18 Old 05-19-2017, 07:42 PM

Man that is disappointing to hear about the BBRC fuel rails. I wonder why all the fuel rail makers can't get it right on the driver's side rail. Seems like you have to space it out with washers, file on the distributor, or use a smaller distributor. After all these years, doesn't someone make a perfect fit fuel rail kit?

91 Notchback
331c.i. H/C/I turbo
post #12 of 18 Old 05-20-2017, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills4229 View Post
Man that is disappointing to hear about the BBRC fuel rails. I wonder why all the fuel rail makers can't get it right on the driver's side rail. Seems like you have to space it out with washers, file on the distributor, or use a smaller distributor. After all these years, doesn't someone make a perfect fit fuel rail kit?
I wasn't sure I was going to be able to make it work at first. I e-mailed him initially to see if I could send them back, and started looking at SN95 fuel rails on feeBay. I slept on it and tried again the next morning with a fresh mind. You can see why I was a little discouraged at first....

post #13 of 18 Old 05-20-2017, 09:38 AM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Garage
People also use a distributor from a F150( little taller)
What I didn't like about the BBRC rails was the fact they show their rails on a R series intake, so I figured no problems.. only works with the Box plenum..
sold them and bought Glens performance
post #14 of 18 Old 05-20-2017, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87smokemetalic View Post
What I didn't like about the BBRC rails was the fact they show their rails on a R series intake, so I figured no problems.. only works with the Box plenum..
I probably should have went with Glenns. I bought the BBRC because they were $60 cheaper, but after having to buy the spacer I ended up spending more.

post #15 of 18 Old 05-20-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87smokemetalic View Post

How do Glens rails fit as a comparison?

91 Notchback
331c.i. H/C/I turbo
post #16 of 18 Old 05-20-2017, 10:23 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Garage
Better clearance... I only mocked it up and placed them back on the shelf sorry no pics.... one of these days
post #17 of 18 Old 05-22-2017, 08:41 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (87)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 306 View Post
#1) The Pro-M hanger requires that you open up the opening of the tank a little wider. I ended up using some snips to do the job. I feel like Pro-M should probably mention that before you purchase it.
When is a bolt-on not a bolt-on. Most aftermarket parts will require some sort of modification and the same applies here. Pro-M does clearly state in their instructions on how to do this and what to use. Actually the installation instructions go a step further and give clear advice on how your fuel system should be setup.

Last edited by Michael Plummer; 05-22-2017 at 10:15 AM.
post #18 of 18 Old 05-22-2017, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Plummer View Post
When is a bolt-on not a bolt-on. Most aftermarket parts will require some sort of modification and the same applies here. Pro-M does clearly state in their instructions on how to do this and what to use. Actually the installation instructions go a step further and give clear advice on how your fuel system should be setup.
Clearly states in the instructions after you've spent your money on it. A little heads up before taking the plunge isn't too much to ask IMO, but I guess that's why I'm not in marketing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement