Battery maintenance - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By keefallan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 04-17-2017, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Battery maintenance

Is there any reason to use a trickle charger to maintain your battery rather than just disconnect the negative terminal? Sometimes I am unable to drive my car for up to two weeks. The battery is new and should be fine, but I'd like to know if I am disrupting anything.

'92 LX 5.0 convertible, 5-speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 04-17-2017, 12:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
you will lose KAM

keep alive memory

the learned fuel trims, and idle trims

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
post #3 of 18 Old 04-17-2017, 01:44 PM
joe

Trader Feedback: (4)
A trickle charger is a really good idea. There's all kinds of them now but you can get a decent one for $50 and from my experience they keep the battery ready to go. I think batteries are getting better but they can lose a bit of charge even in 2 weeks.

1988 Lx Coupe
Audi A4 DD

post #4 of 18 Old 04-17-2017, 06:42 PM

I don't think you need to keep a trickle charger if its only for 2wks. If you don't have anything pulling a draw off the battery, you should be fine. maybe if it were cold conditions or something like that. But 2 weeks.....don't think so. If it helps you to sleep at night sure do it. But you should not have a problem.
TomR likes this.
post #5 of 18 Old 04-17-2017, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, all. Now that I have already disconnected the battery, do I need to do anything to reset the fuel/idle settings? Or will driving take care of that?

post #6 of 18 Old 04-18-2017, 12:04 AM

there is nothing you can do about it, its gone

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
post #7 of 18 Old 04-18-2017, 10:40 PM

Garage
Two weeks is nothing if the electrical system and battery are good. There is no need to disconnect anything or use a trickle charger.

The battery in my 2014 sits for a month or two and it always cranks right up. Same for my 1989. It can sit for months.

If it goes dead in two weeks you should figure out what is wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
89 LX. 363, single turbo S482 FMW, Super Vic EFI, Fox Lake Stage III heads, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (combo varies)
post #8 of 18 Old 04-18-2017, 10:51 PM

The Electrolyte starts to Sulfate when it discharges, causing damage to the Lead Plates in the Battery. Eventually, the Sulfate can't convert back to liquid, causing the battery to turn into an Anchor..

Battery Tenders are cheap. Just make sure you maintain the water level in your cells, and the battery should last for decades.

I have 2 batteries in series in my basement using this unit right now. It's been great. It has the Cigarette adapter for easy come and go if you choose to use it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/14560006?...&wl13=&veh=sem
post #9 of 18 Old 04-18-2017, 10:55 PM

Just because your Battery shows a charge, doesn't mean it's not dead..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery_charge_state.jpg (47.0 KB, 26 views)
post #10 of 18 Old 04-19-2017, 11:45 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
I've used a Deltran Battery Tender Pro on my seldom driven Mustang for a decade now. Car will sit a month or two between starts sometimes.

I assume it has done some good towards battery longevity as the battery is a 10-year old Die Hard gold. I recently pulled it and had it load tested to replace it for the hell of it...but it tested good. Needless to say, it's still on my car with the trickle charger.

I should probably just replace it anyway....

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
--2014 Ford Taurus Limited--
post #11 of 18 Old 04-19-2017, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Copy all on the trickle charger. But back to indy2000's comments...
We all have to disconnect the battery at times. What about the memory and 'trims'? What am I missing?
Thanks!

post #12 of 18 Old 04-19-2017, 09:42 PM

If it's a stock computer, it will relearn everything on it's own, and you won't even notice..
post #13 of 18 Old 04-19-2017, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, all, for the comments and suggestions.
post #14 of 18 Old 04-20-2017, 12:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Yeah, nothing to worry about. Most annoying aspect of that will be reprogramming the radio settings

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
--2014 Ford Taurus Limited--
post #15 of 18 Old 04-20-2017, 01:20 PM

Garage
The thing that kills a common lead acid is deep discharge. Just one or two deep discharges can ruin the charge storage capacity.

Another thing that ruins a battery is overcharge.

I have dozens of lead-acid batteries. I have three tractors, one car trailer with two large batteries that are solar powered, one trailer that requires a charger, a 14 Mustang, a 92 Mustang, an 89 Mustang, and an F250HD diesel with two batteries.

In all of these batteries, there is no correlation between extended sitting and battery failure. Some go six months sitting, the one trailer well over two years. When I have a bad battery, without exception, it is because I left a key on or a light on.

My truck is a good example. I've probably put three or four sets of batteries in it. The problem is I leave something on without it running. If it kills the batteries one time, they are noticeably weaker in ampere-hour capacity. Two or three times and they are shot. It isn't keeping the batteries topped off that helps, it is letting them go deep discharge that hurts. My 14 sits for a month or more, my 89 all winter, my one trailer for years. My truck is used almost daily and it has by far the largest issue, and the problem is always me. OTOH I've had some lead acids just sitting on the floor in the pole barn for several years and they are still good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
89 LX. 363, single turbo S482 FMW, Super Vic EFI, Fox Lake Stage III heads, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (combo varies)
post #16 of 18 Old 04-20-2017, 03:50 PM

I have been taking the battery out of my mustang and using it to power my winch on my car trailer. Sounds like this might not be a good idea?

What should be used to power the winch?

1987 Coupe: Stock 5.0, T5, 4.10s and a spool
post #17 of 18 Old 04-20-2017, 09:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ3747 View Post
I have been taking the battery out of my mustang and using it to power my winch on my car trailer. Sounds like this might not be a good idea?

What should be used to power the winch?
If you're going to be using it for hard pulls, you want a deep cycle battery, as typically used in boating applications for trolling motors, etc. They can handle repeated deep discharges without too much harm.
post #18 of 18 Old 04-21-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Boom View Post
If you're going to be using it for hard pulls, you want a deep cycle battery, as typically used in boating applications for trolling motors, etc. They can handle repeated deep discharges without too much harm.
I don't think a rolling foxbody is a hard pull onto a car trailer. I will add a deep cycle to the wish list. I have checked the voltage after using it to winch and I don't recall the numbers but voltage didn't drop much. It cranks the car easily after winching.

1987 Coupe: Stock 5.0, T5, 4.10s and a spool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement