Ford racing 3.55 gear help - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Saleen414

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-04-2017, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (3)
Ford racing 3.55 gear help

Ok I just rebuilt my motor redid the interior doing the whole car over. 1988 mustang gt t top car. Was told it had 4.10 gears idk. Anyways i hate whatever is in there its a 5 speed and all i do is shift. So purchased a 3.55 set with everything from lmr ford racing. Wasnt comfortable doin it so thought id b safe taking it to a shop. The guy has had my car for a week. Call last thursday he said they were having trouble dialing it in? Said he should get it by fri. So its tues i had work then coach my little ones tball team so had my wife run by to see whats goin on. He says usually u can start with whatever size shims come out of it? Said its all too tight. So said hes on like his 5th try today and was all the way down to using zero shims and if this doesnt work then ive purchased the wrong item or then sent me wrong item or it has something wrong. Idk but does this guy sound like he knows what hes talking about? Ive had him do a few things and hes done fine. Usually i try ab anything myself but time was an issue and work and baseball season and tool and just not knowing. I know hes going to call tomorow or ill go there. Dont know if the no shims idea worked or not yet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-04-2017, 09:41 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (2)
The only place that you can not have shims is pinion depth. My guess is he is going the wrong way on pinion depth. He sees the pattern and thinks the pinion should go deeper into the ring gear, and it is actually the other way. I usually get 9 out of 10 to set up with the existing shim package, provided the carrier stays the same. Then that 1 in 10 that just kicks your ass and is a pain to get right.

TomR likes this.

1989 Saleen 414 358cid SBF 2.8L Kenne Bell S/C
26 X 8.5 Hoosier
Best 1/4 mile time 8.623 @ 159.82 mph with a 1.34 60' (5.55 1/8th at 128)
Best 1/8 mile time 5.384 @ 130.75 mph with a 1.29 60'
2001 V-6 5 speed Mustang 189k miles and counting
08' Bullitt #4097 N/A 325 RWHP <<<<<FOR SALE!
post #3 of 5 Old 04-07-2017, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (3)
Thanks for your input man dont know what he ended up doing or what he fig out he was messing up something he called after he told me for a week and said i had the wrong part or there was something wrong with the machining of the new part and told me it was done. He wasnt there when i got there i asked what was wrong and they said they dont know what he fig out?! But all is good

post #4 of 5 Old 04-11-2017, 08:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (80)
i used many sets of ford racing gears and never needed anything but the factory pinion shim. if he is using the pinion depth tool his math might be wrong.

D&D powder coating and media blasting
In Gear Transmission and differentials
Manasquan, NJ 08736
732-722-7387
post #5 of 5 Old 04-21-2017, 08:27 AM

Trader Feedback: (18)
I have used numerous Ford Racing and Motive. I have the Ford/Rotunda pinion depth gauge and rarely the same size shim used. Usually they are close but not dead on. I had also taken a rear apart that had no shim. That was straight from Ford. The tool takes out the trial and error.

Quote:
no one knows. thats the issue with EFI, too much guessing.
wisdom from bolt-on-bandito
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement