Will 4 Lug rear axle drum swap into a 5 lug disc 8.8? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-10-2015, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Will 4 Lug rear axle drum swap into a 5 lug disc 8.8?

I would like to upgrade our endurance (Chump/Lemons) car rear end to a disc brake setup, but I need to stay with the 4 lug setup since we have a few set of wheels read to go. We currently have a 7.5 with drums.

I have gone over the brake and rear end website several times, but I needed a bit more information.

I read how the 7.5 and 8.8 Axles are the same size. So if I find a newer 8.8 rear with 5 lug discs, would I be able to remove the axles and replace them with my 7.5 axle and get a new 4 lug rear disc to complete the rear end?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-10-2015, 03:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (33)
Don't think so for two reasons: (i) Most of the factory 5-lug rear discs use a longer axle to account for the ABS tone rings. As a result, the disc mount axle flange is off-set to account for the longer axle. You would have to also buy the NRC mount for Fox length axles and sn95 brakes, or cut the stock mounts and place them on the inboard side of the axle mount. (ii) The available 4-lug rotors are generally for the 93 Cobra and 87/88 TB Turbo Coupe. But they are only 10-11/64" vented rotors (call them 10.25"). The sn95 stuff is 10.5 and 11.65" so the mounts above for those rotors won't work on a standard 4-lug rotor.

The easier way would be finding 93 Cobra and/or TC 4-lug rear disc brakes and then fab some kind of mount for the shorter Fox-length axles or buy the NRC mounts for those brakes. Then you can retain your 7.5.

On Edit: Or you could just throw the entire 8.8 from the 93 Cobra or TB TC under the car. The housings are the same length but again the axles are longer and may cause more under-steer if some work to the suspension balance is not done as well.

Last edited by qtrracer; 06-10-2015 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Add stuff
post #3 of 4 Old 06-10-2015, 03:59 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
87-88 Turbo coupes were 8.8 disk brake and 4 lug. I pretty sure they had a decent gear ratio too. I pretty sure the auto cars came factory with 3.73s and the manual cars came with 3.55s

1972 Torino Sport sportsroof 351CJ/4Spd
1993 LX Coupe - Narcolepsy 4.6l 3V swapped
1974 Montego "GT" GT hood, bucket seats, Console. Swapping 351CJ/4Spd right now
oh yeah 2006 Taurus daily driver Yawn

post #4 of 4 Old 06-10-2015, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Sport View Post
87-88 Turbo coupes were 8.8 disk brake and 4 lug. I pretty sure they had a decent gear ratio too. I pretty sure the auto cars came factory with 3.73s and the manual cars came with 3.55s
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, found a great link the other day on it. But, finding this, or anything else affordable up in Wisconsin has been a bit of a challenge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement