Clutch Suggestions for a 475rwhp foxbody - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

Clutch Suggestions for a 475rwhp foxbody

i have all my parts for my V1 S trim install minus the blow thru carburator that im going to buy very soon. Not to long ago i picked up a TKO600 transmission which came with everything minus the clutch. Sometime soon I am thinking march time frame i want to go ahead and have the TKO600 installed. I need to buy a clutch. After the transmission goes in we are going to tackle installing the V1 S trim. when its all said and done im looking at around 450-475rwhp according to Roger from C&S carbs.

So what kind of clutch would you recommend for my set up. I am going to pretty much street drive this car all the time. I'd like to have something very close to factory pedal. I dont want a super stiff pedal. this is all new to me as far as higher horsepower manual cars. I dont know how a spec 3 clutch feels or any of the other types. Something that is smooth and has a nice pedal would be ideal for what im imagining. I understand that I might not get that though.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (2)

King Cobra for Daily driver. Spec II for street/strip use.
Search the forums for more case studies or opinions.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-24-2014, 07:08 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (45)

King cobra will be destroyed hind that much power...They are only rated for like 350ft lbs.

Look into a Spec 2+
Old 01-24-2014, 07:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyman View Post
i have all my parts for my V1 S trim install minus the blow thru carburator that im going to buy very soon. Not to long ago i picked up a TKO600 transmission which came with everything minus the clutch. Sometime soon I am thinking march time frame i want to go ahead and have the TKO600 installed. I need to buy a clutch. After the transmission goes in we are going to tackle installing the V1 S trim. when its all said and done im looking at around 450-475rwhp according to Roger from C&S carbs.

So what kind of clutch would you recommend for my set up. I am going to pretty much street drive this car all the time. I'd like to have something very close to factory pedal. I dont want a super stiff pedal. this is all new to me as far as higher horsepower manual cars. I dont know how a spec 3 clutch feels or any of the other types. Something that is smooth and has a nice pedal would be ideal for what im imagining. I understand that I might not get that though.
you want something
smooth
light
handle high horsepower?

don't exist in a single disc clutch setup at 10.5" diameter.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (29)

10.5 Dual friction Centerforce clutch did my daily driven supercharged hatch well, with really light clutch pedal to boot! Car ran 10.70@132 (1.60 60' ) and never had a clutch problem...T5 checked out a few times No dyno #s this was back in the 90s, but the math says 500+ HP
Old 01-27-2014, 02:19 PM   #6

Old 01-27-2014, 06:20 PM   #7

Your question has been answered...Light clutch pedals that hold high horsepower do not exist in single disc set-ups...When you hear people say they have one, take it with a grain of salt and realize not everyone will judge clutch pedal effort the same.

I used to have a Centerforce Dual friction and to me it was an alright clutch and it held up to a pretty stout 600rwhp car. When anyone else would push in the clutch, cuss words was the first thing to come out of their mouth and then questioning me on how I was able to drive it everyday like I did.

The Spec + series clutches seems to have a lighter pedal feel than most, but its still a single disc and you are going to be pushing against those spring arms on the clutch hub. If you want a super light pedal with high horsepower capabilities. A twin disc is the only way, but you got to pay to play big.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:44 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (14)

I had a Spec 3+ and it held the power (480rwhp) but the pedal effort was pretty stiff. I spent a little more money and got a McLeod RST and was the best thing I did hands down. I have doubled the boost on my car and never once showed and sign of slipping and has great street manners and pedal effort. I drive the car almost daily spring/summer/fall. Hope this helps...
Old 01-28-2014, 08:48 PM   #9

RST here as well as hydraulic TOB.

will never go back to single disc.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked03GT View Post
I used to have a Centerforce Dual friction and to me it was an alright clutch and it held up to a pretty stout 600rwhp car. When anyone else would push in the clutch, cuss words was the first thing to come out of their mouth and then questioning me on how I was able to drive it everyday like I did.
Wow really, mine was pretty soft.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:39 AM   #11

Trader Feedback: (7)

My spec 2+ has lasted 6 years. Has excellent manors. (My wife loves the one in her cobra too). I love it! You can have your cake and eat it too
Old 01-29-2014, 09:05 AM   #12

c/p

Types of Driving:

Street, Drag, Pulling, Autocross

Features a multi-friction disc in a full faced configuration with carbon semi-metallic on one side and Kevlar on the other. Bridging the gap between stage 2 and stage 3, the 2+ offers drivability and engagement quality characteristic of the stage 2, but with a 15-20% higher torque capacity. The hub is double sprung with spring cover relieves for flexibility and heat treated components for strength and durability. Great for street, drag, autocross, road racing, pulling, rallye and drift.
•High clamp pressure plate
•Hybrid Kevlar and Carbon-Graphite Friction material
•High torque sprung hub and disc assembly
•Bearing and tool kit

first thing High clamp pressure >>>not a light pedal
second the material is of the binary type>>>> chatter not smooth slipping

I've had a centerforce and a Kevlar type clutch, they both are a large departure from a stock clutch in how they feel.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:04 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy2000 View Post
c/p

Types of Driving:

Street, Drag, Pulling, Autocross

Features a multi-friction disc in a full faced configuration with carbon semi-metallic on one side and Kevlar on the other. Bridging the gap between stage 2 and stage 3, the 2+ offers drivability and engagement quality characteristic of the stage 2, but with a 15-20% higher torque capacity. The hub is double sprung with spring cover relieves for flexibility and heat treated components for strength and durability. Great for street, drag, autocross, road racing, pulling, rallye and drift.
•High clamp pressure plate
•Hybrid Kevlar and Carbon-Graphite Friction material
•High torque sprung hub and disc assembly
•Bearing and tool kit

first thing High clamp pressure >>>not a light pedal
second the material is of the binary type>>>> chatter not smooth slipping

I've had a centerforce and a Kevlar type clutch, they both are a large departure from a stock clutch in how they feel.
Its light. Trust me. WAY lighter than a factory 03 Cobra Clutch. It was also lighter than the King Cobra I replaced after I smoked the hell out it first time hitting the go pedal when I installed the Vortech. With the light pedal option they feel like a damn ford focus hydraulic clutch. If you haven't had one yourself your opinion is invalid.

My wife daily drove her Cobra with a Spec 2+ for 3 years usually with heels on. She's 140lbs. They don't chatter. I've also installed 3 2+'s in friend's cars for them and my dad has one as well.
03' Sonic Blue Cobra 497rwhp 481tq
Old 01-29-2014, 09:04 PM   #14

My opinion is very valid, I assure you.

I have NOT, had a spec 2, 2+, or 3.

I have driven fox with spec2, and it brought back memories of the zoom Kevlar I had back in the day.......

Unless the 2+ trades effort for more aggressive materials?

that part is my opinion
Hey, I could just be getting very weak as I age...
Old 01-29-2014, 10:23 PM   #15

Quote:
My opinion is very valid, I assure you.

I have NOT, had a spec 2, 2+, or 3.

I have driven fox with spec2, and it brought back memories of the zoom Kevlar I had back in the day.......

Unless the 2+ trades effort for more aggressive materials?

that part is my opinion
Hey, I could just be getting very weak as I age...
I dunno. My dad is 63 and likes his 2+. .

3 and up are very grabby and do chatter.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:31 PM   #16

Trader Feedback: (0)

Mcleod Twin Disc IMO if you have the money.

Engagement is super silky, but you'll have the HP room to grow if you get bored of 475rwhp. (Sounds odd, but trust me, you'll get there )
Old 01-29-2014, 11:38 PM   #17
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (55)

My centerforce dual friction single disk has been awesome. AWESOME pedal. Awesome holding power. Smooth engagement.

I have used Spec Clutches my whole life and I am so glad I finally tried something different. I never had issues with spec being able to hold power but everything else suffered.
363 Dart Block-TFS 11R Heads-Comp Custom Cam-Turbonetic's 78mm Hurricane Series Turbo-Super Victor EFI-6061 Elbow-TKO 600 - 8.8 Welded Tubes w/ 9 inch ends - Strange 35 spline axles and spool - Alumastar 17/Champion 15 front and rear's.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:46 PM   #18

so some say, spec is light and smooth, others say not so much.......

really will be up to the person driving their own car to decide then.

Of all the clutches I've been through, this RST, has no equal.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:34 AM   #19

I think some use supporting hardware that isn't up to par. I know when I stopped using cheap adjustable cables and went to Oem only and an MM quadrant it made things super smooth.
Rst and Rsx clutches are sweet but over twice the price and why over clutch if you don't need to? I laugh when someone says they run a spec 3+ in a 300rwhp car.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #20

Quote:
so some say, spec is light and smooth, others say not so much.......

really will be up to the person driving their own car to decide then.

Of all the clutches I've been through, this RST, has no equal.
Like I mentioned before, pedal effort judgement should be taken with a grain of salt. Not one person on the planet will have the same judgement as te other as far as pedal effort goes.

I have driven cars with the toughest pedal puck style clutches you will ever want to know. I have driven the Hydraulic Mcleod conversion cars, I have also drive several twin disc. Nothing will ever beat the twin disc feel and effort. You get the feel of a cable clutch, with the effort near that of a hydraulic. Hydraulics are nice, but they lack that certain feel alot of people like, it kind of limits the feedback you get in the pedal knowing when the clutch is beginning to grab the flywheel.

If I was you, I would either go with a Spec 2+ or budget for a Twin Disc and be done with it forever.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:41 AM   #21

and I like the engagement feel of my Hydraulic RST over the cable clutches I had in the past.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #22

/error/
Old 02-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #23

TOP AGAIN

i am leaning towards the RST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement