Whats a fair price to pay to have subframes welded in? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Whats a fair price to pay to have subframes welded in?

I have a set of MM full length subs I need welded in. A local shop quoted me $270. They said 3 hours of labor @ $90/hr...and also said they had to use two lifts to install them

Seems real high to me to install subs. What did you guys pay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (4)

I would say MINIMUM 3 hours of labor. I work at a Ford dealer and that is probably close, if not too low, of what I would quote a customer.

My MM full lengths took me almost 6 hours to get completely installed. A lot of tweaking, heating, and measuring to make sure everything is right and square. You have to remember that any shop charges that much labor because after any job is done, any good shop will realize they now "own" that job. If anything is wrong with it, they MUST fix it.

My advice is find a friend or go buy a welder. My Craftsman does did just fine with flux core, but setup as a MIG does much better.

"Life is tough....Its tougher if you're stupid"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (6)

I took my MM full length subs to the exhaust shop and spent $40. Took no more than a half hour. I'd tell that shop to eat ####.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
kim
Moderator & USAF (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBox View Post
I took my MM full length subs to the exhaust shop and spent $40. Took no more than a half hour. I'd tell that shop to eat ####.
Not to crush your hopes and dreams, but I wager for $40.00 your install is no-where near the install as recommended by MM. I just browsed the install process as recommended on there sight, and I agree, IF the chasis isn't bent so bad as to require a bunch of tweaking to the sub-frame connectors, 3 hours is about an expected time of service, between carpet lifting for the floor slot, to the trimming of the existing panels, to the proper tack then final weld recommendations.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #5

I was quoted $175 by a local speed shop, but they didn't give me a time frame.

The best way to do it is with a drive-on lift, but it's supposedly do-able with a regular post lift with some horsing around.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #6
kim

Cant do on a post lift, your going to put spring tension in the car. They are to get welded on, as car sits on ground, IE weight on wheels. Can be done with jack stands under A arm and rear axle tube, so springs are still supporting car. If you lift a car off pinch rails, the nose and tail will sag, which will weld the connector in "short" so the connector is stressed with weight on wheel.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:11 AM   #7

Trader Feedback: (8)

I have installed about 15 sets at my shop. It takes me a 1.25 hrs. I charge 100 bucks. That includes painting the welds. I drive car on my drive on rack. Thats the way they need to be done. Not on a lift with tje wheels off the ground.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF91GT View Post
My advice is find a friend or go buy a welder.
If you go this route, make sure you or your friend actually know how to run a good bead and have the right equipment. Beginners doing horizontal or overhead welding isn't exactly a good mix
Old 11-07-2013, 12:36 AM   #9

Trader Feedback: (1)

There is a HUGE difference in flat rate and actual - I had a muffler shop put mine in on a slow day for $50 cash and a 12 pack (they have mostly drive on racks and if anybody can weld it's an old school exhaust guy). In the industry you got what is refered to as "THE SCARE OFF PRICE" ,it's hard to believe that someone coming in with their own parts and full of "KNOWLEDGE" was not taken seriously. You could look into a trade school in your area ,welding in hot rod parts is sexier than the other bread and butter stuff they are asked to do.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim View Post
Not to crush your hopes and dreams, but I wager for $40.00 your install is no-where near the install as recommended by MM. I just browsed the install process as recommended on there sight, and I agree, IF the chasis isn't bent so bad as to require a bunch of tweaking to the sub-frame connectors, 3 hours is about an expected time of service, between carpet lifting for the floor slot, to the trimming of the existing panels, to the proper tack then final weld recommendations.

I think we might be talking about something different. I didn't have to lift any carpet, and I didn't trim anything either....

OP, is this what you have?

Old 11-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #11

Trader Feedback: (18)

I would think anywhere from 150-200 is a fair price. I paid around $150 for mine and had it done by a shop I've known for 20 years that specializes in Mustangs. Do not go to the cheapest bidder and/or someone learning on your car. You need to prep the bottom of the car correctly- especially a convertible. If they weld in these things all wrong you just permanently set your car's frame and suspension crooked.

I've found you always have the money to do it right the second time.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #12

Trader Feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBox View Post
I think we might be talking about something different. I didn't have to lift any carpet, and I didn't trim anything either....

OP, is this what you have?

Doesn't look like to much is holding the connectors to the rear subframe,kinda defeats the purpose if your trying to tie the front and rear subframes together.I would look into running a longer bead at the rear and a support plate below the bend of the connectors.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eyefever View Post
Doesn't look like to much is holding the connectors to the rear subframe,kinda defeats the purpose if your trying to tie the front and rear subframes together.I would look into running a longer bead at the rear and a support plate below the bend of the connectors.

And it may be broken already, I don't know. Last time at the track I made 3 low 1.5x 60' passes and took the car home and parked it. I haven't been under it since so I can't say for sure if it's held. I don't think it needs welded all the way down the front or at the seat bracket, but I do agree with continuing it further down the lower torque box.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:32 AM   #14
kim

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/co...iff/MMFL-5.pdf

That is how the thing is supposed to be installed.

And why $40.00 and $50.00 installs with a 12r of beer, might not be worth your time/money.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim View Post
There is trimming of existing panels and carpet removal?
Old 11-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #16

Carpet removal...No. I didnt have to, but trimming panels is only required on a vert.

I welded mine in a few weeks ago on my 91 vert. Took me the better part of an afternoon.

"Life is tough....Its tougher if you're stupid"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement