Manual Trunk Release - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Manual Trunk Release

I just bought a 89 GT and can't get into the trunk! the glove box release doesn't work and the key has been changed (swapped ignitions) so it no longer works for the hatch. I can get all the way to the back and look at the two clamps over the pin but don't know how to release them?

I've tried leveraging the black bracket that sits atop the power release mechanism but no luck - maybe a dose of WD40 to loosen things up.

Any help is appreciated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (20)

My old car had an emergency pull release under the carpet and somewhat behind the plastic near the tail lights.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50GT View Post
I just bought a 89 GT and can't get into the trunk! the glove box release doesn't work and the key has been changed (swapped ignitions) so it no longer works for the hatch. I can get all the way to the back and look at the two clamps over the pin but don't know how to release them?

I've tried leveraging the black bracket that sits atop the power release mechanism but no luck - maybe a dose of WD40 to loosen things up.

Any help is appreciated.
The ignition and door/trunk key are different, two separate keys unless it's an SSP which it's not cause it's a GT. there is a retainer clip on the bottom of the hatch that holds the lock cylinder in. Drill out the rivet remove the clip, remove the cylinder, stick a flat head screwdriver in the latch and open it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95slobra View Post
My old car had an emergency pull release under the carpet and somewhat behind the plastic near the tail lights.
That was for the fuel door release.
Daniel, Previous car's: Grey 85 GT, Black 93 5.0 LX Hatch, White 85 GT w/T-tops. Current car: 2006 Freestyle. As funds allow will be getting a 90 or 91 5.0 LX Coupe and then will do a T-top conversion to it.
Old 04-20-2013, 08:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneQwikGT View Post
The ignition and door/trunk key are different, two separate keys unless it's an SSP which it's not cause it's a GT. there is a retainer clip on the bottom of the hatch that holds the lock cylinder in. Drill out the rivet remove the clip, remove the cylinder, stick a flat head screwdriver in the latch and open it up.
Will see what I can do - still have the plastic cowling around the outside so don't have full frontal access to the mechanism. Might have to break the plastic and worry about that later.

Probably the only way in so needs to be done. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (20)

Haha yup. Retard moment there sorry.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50GT View Post
Will see what I can do - still have the plastic cowling around the outside so don't have full frontal access to the mechanism. Might have to break the plastic and worry about that later.

Probably the only way in so needs to be done. Thanks!
The clip is accesible from the outside, right between the license plate lights.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2
Daniel, Previous car's: Grey 85 GT, Black 93 5.0 LX Hatch, White 85 GT w/T-tops. Current car: 2006 Freestyle. As funds allow will be getting a 90 or 91 5.0 LX Coupe and then will do a T-top conversion to it.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #7

Do you drill through the clip? Had a look yesterday and it doesn't look "screwdriver" friendly with the rivet in the middle. Don't want to take the power tools to it without having a good understanding of what's involved.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #8

Garage
Use a bit about half way between the size of the hole and the outer diameter of the rivet and just drill through the head of the rivet. Go slow so you don't go too far, you most likely won't damage the clip. Once you have done that the clip will just pull out of the hatch. GL.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:59 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (1)

This is scary, but get an old pocket knife. Wedge it into the trunk tip first just above the license plate, between the hatch and the weatherstripping, just right of center, like 1/2". Wiggle it flat, up and down while you push slightly, it;ll slip past a small ride, and wedge into place. Now, wiggle the tip back and forth. *click* Enjoy the oldest FOX thief "how to" in the book. Just did it in 20 seconds after not having thought about that trick for 10 years.

Now to fix it, run a bead of weld or Epoxy (JB Weld) over the edge of the plate metal where the latch is bolted to the hatch on the ends only. The slit there is what we just took advantage of to pop the hatch.

I can get under the hood of any FOX without being in the car, and without breaking anything, either in jest a few second. Just takes a familiar touch to know what to look for.

:shrug: There was a reason these cars were #1 stolen for a long long time. Funny I never broke into one, only legitimate helping hand situations when friends locked themselves out of cars, hood cables broke, etc.

FYI:

2013 Focus SE 5Door MT - Babymobile

Last edited by Slo86GT; 04-22-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:30 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo86GT View Post
This is scary, but get an old pocket knife. Wedge it into the trunk tip first just above the license plate, between the hatch and the weatherstripping, just right of center, like 1/2". Wiggle it flat, up and down while you push slightly, it;ll slip past a small ride, and wedge into place. Now, wiggle the tip back and forth. *click* Enjoy the oldest FOX thief "how to" in the book. Just did it in 20 seconds after not having thought about that trick for 10 years.

Now to fix it, run a bead of weld or Epoxy (JB Weld) over the edge of the plate metal where the latch is bolted to the hatch on the ends only. The slit there is what we just took advantage of to pop the hatch.

I can get under the hood of any FOX without being in the car, and without breaking anything, either in jest a few second. Just takes a familiar touch to know what to look for.

:shrug: There was a reason these cars were #1 stolen for a long long time. Funny I never broke into one, only legitimate helping hand situations when friends locked themselves out of cars, hood cables broke, etc.

FYI:

Wow, can't believe I have never heard of this. I know how to open the hood but never knew about the hatch trick. Nice Gerber EZ Out btw, I used to have one years ago. I switched to Spyderco since,
Old 04-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #11

I can confirm it works... thank you for the tip. Now to figure out how I can set it up so that I can always get in without a knife...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement