DIY Tremec, TKO Girdle support - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2012, 02:00 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (47)

DIY Tremec, TKO Girdle support

For anyone who is running big HP on their TKO500/600 a transmission girdle is smart investment but it doesn't have to be costly. There are other upgrades to strengthen the transmission like Liberty threaded front bearing support Explained below.

**Liberty's Exclusive Threaded Front Cluster Bearing Support eliminates oil leakage from the front cap and more importantly it supports the front cluster bearing preventing the cluster shaft from improper movement. Since the stock cap is only held in place by the o-ring, it can allow the cluster shaft to move and alter shimming. This movement decreases the overall integrity of the transmission. Liberty's Exclusive Threaded Front Cluster Bearing Support corrects all of the problems associated with the stock cap.

However the TKO case becomes the weak point where the front of the case meats the bell under heavy load the case can flex allowing the main shaft and counter shaft gears to separate causing gear carnage and sometimes the case can even crack.

Swarr Auto came up with a solution called the Trans Girdle, Swarr Girdle like a clam shell it bolts between the Bell and the transmission front case supporting the transmission alum case from flexing. These sell for $185 from Swarr or
Pro Motion and Pro Motion says is a must for 650hp or above.

Here are some images and what gave me the idea to make my own.

I used .25 inch steel plate 10.25" long to clear the transmission bolt ears, this leaves room to weld on the round bolt guides where the bolt goes through to clamp the 2 halves together. The top plate or clamp is 2" wide and I went with 3.5" for the bottom as it has more room and needs the added with due to the cutouts needed to contour the bottom of the trans case.

I used the steel plates to scribe on by putting them right up against the front of the case upper and lower then tracing with a pencil so I new what to cut out.

With a metal cutting blade on my trusty old chop saw and a hand grinder I shaped both plates to contour the very leading edge of the case so it supports the front aluminum plate that holds the main and counter shaft.

Here is the drawing of my design with measurements. I was able to build this for under $10 using some of my stuff and buying one steel plate 11"x 3.5" and the long threaded nut. Beats paying $185 plus I had fun making it. Also used my trusty old Harbor Freight 90 amp Flux core MIG welder to weld the round bolt guides to the steel plate. I'll post up some more pics of the the actual girdle soon.
"The sound is unnatural and not of this world, like a screeching velociraptor with the flames of hell licking it's ass"

Last edited by 92rohcp; 12-22-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 07:17 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (34)

Thanks for posting this, will be making one!!!!!!

Last edited by rkloehn; 12-20-2012 at 07:25 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (26)

That top pic is my trans girdle. I bought it here off the corral, and will be installing it a soon as I finish my new engine. Once I got it I realized how easy it would have been to make. I'm glad to see someone makin one. I'm sure if you built these an sold Jen for a decent price you could sell them pretty easily.

84 Mustang GT, Vic jr intake, quickFuel Q650 double pumper, GT40heads, TFS stage1 cam w/ 1.7RRs, NOS crosshair plate, BBK X-pipe, TKO 500, aluminum drive shaft, sub frame connectors, MSD Digital 6 Plus box, 3.73 gears
Old 12-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFreak300 View Post
That top pic is my trans girdle. I bought it here off the corral, and will be installing it a soon as I finish my new engine. Once I got it I realized how easy it would have been to make. I'm glad to see someone makin one. I'm sure if you built these an sold Jen for a decent price you could sell them pretty easily.
I thought about it but you should see how I made it, not very cost effective in that all the grinding of the plate mostly bottom shaping done by hand trial and error grinding fitting grinding. May also be patent rights infringements involved in selling these. Really though your right not really hard to do if you have the time and inclination.

Did you get the instructions for installation, I would like to know what to torque the girdle bolts to??
"The sound is unnatural and not of this world, like a screeching velociraptor with the flames of hell licking it's ass"
Old 12-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #5

It's finished now and I did have to make some changes to my original design. As you can see from my drawing above the changes have been made so you can go by those numbers. The plates were made shorter 10.25" and then the tubes welded on I also had to cut the top piece down so it could fit inside the tunnel. Also I cut and recessed the top piece so it could fit lower over the transmissions top plate. It's dam near the same as the Swarr girdle now.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #6

I did not get instructions with it but I have the torque specifications around here some where I will try to find them for you really fast.

84 Mustang GT, Vic jr intake, quickFuel Q650 double pumper, GT40heads, TFS stage1 cam w/ 1.7RRs, NOS crosshair plate, BBK X-pipe, TKO 500, aluminum drive shaft, sub frame connectors, MSD Digital 6 Plus box, 3.73 gears
Old 12-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #7

You torque the bolts to 5ft lbs

Old 12-23-2012, 04:36 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (2)

Very nice, thank you
Old 12-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #9

Don't forget to weld a nut on and put a set screw in to keep the bolts holdin it together from coming loose.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:08 AM   #10

Trader Feedback: (2)

I'm gonna safety wire it.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFreak300 View Post
Don't forget to weld a nut on and put a set screw in to keep the bolts holdin it together from coming loose.
Yes...thanks I was gonna use a nut on the bolt to lock it down. I talked with Walt at promotion 2 years ago about this girdle and he warned me not to overtighten it, could damage the trans. He said they overtightened one and it actually squeezed the main shaft gear and counter shaft gear together and caused resistance making it hard to turn the input shaft by hand.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:23 PM   #12

I heard the same thing.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:42 PM   #13

Trader Feedback: (23)

Great post! About how much would you torque it down?
Old 12-24-2012, 04:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrain2000 View Post
Great post! About how much would you torque it down?
Your very welcome. I've gotten a lot of help here from others and try to return the favor and add to the quality of this forum.
Fordfreak300 posted up 5ft lb he had this from his directions that came with his girdle.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #15

Trader Feedback: (18)

Nice write up...Hey the pic with the blue girdle looks familiar....Oh that's my car lol. I think it's a fairly cheap investment if you ask me....Nice job in making one!
Old 01-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarterhorse_2 View Post
Nice write up...Hey the pic with the blue girdle looks familiar....Oh that's my car lol. I think it's a fairly cheap investment if you ask me....Nice job in making one!
Yeah I stole some pics as it was hard to find any good pics of the girdle so thanks for yours. Your right their price is fare at $189, but since I had the welder and the metal I though it a good time to practice plus save me $$$ for my new twin disc clutch
Old 01-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarterhorse_2 View Post
Lol he made both of our girdles famous

Old 01-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #18

Trader Feedback: (23)

I posted a link to this post on another forum, and got a question from a member there.

Why wouldn't just bolting it to the STEEL bellhousing make it stiffer?
Old 01-17-2013, 08:43 PM   #19

Yep thought of that and it would work. Not everyone has a steel bell and with me in the end it seemed easier to make the clam shell clamp. It could be done with the steel bell though.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:08 AM   #20

Your just clamping the case together so it can't flex. Your basically trying to keep a square object from becoming a circle so to speak.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:54 AM   #21

Trader Feedback: (0)

Although spreading is a serious problem with big HP, it seemed funny to listen to a bunch of guys talking about a GIRDLE.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #22

Trader Feedback: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmeaux View Post
Although spreading is a serious problem with big HP, it seemed funny to listen to a bunch of guys talking about a GIRDLE.
^^^really, seriously!!!!! grow up!

there are lots of girdles used in big HP applications, guys use engine girdles to hold the main caps in place, they use rear axle girdles to hold the differential caps in place....

BTW, to the OP, great thread, very informative. I'll be shy of that 650 mark by about 100HP when my build is complete..... but might just pick one up "just in case"

Thanks.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:08 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCA_Stang View Post
^^^really, seriously!!!!! grow up!

there are lots of girdles used in big HP applications, guys use engine girdles to hold the main caps in place, they use rear axle girdles to hold the differential caps in place....

BTW, to the OP, great thread, very informative. I'll be shy of that 650 mark by about 100HP when my build is complete..... but might just pick one up "just in case"

Thanks.
Always glad to give back to the corral. I realize not everyone needs one of these or would want to make one, but thanks for the appreciation and looking in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement