Fox Body Weight Reduction - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Garage
Exclamation Fox Body Weight Reduction

Hey guys I need your help... I have a 1987 GT and i was wondering what all i can take off my car reduce it's overall weight. Since it is a daily driver I have to keep most of the interior except rear seats, front seats will eventually be race seats. Id like to keep speakers and I'll be keeping my heat but a/c doesn't work. Since the car is an 87' theres no smog pump or emissions. I'd like to get it as light as possible. Thanks in advance for all the help you can give. - Ben

Last edited by Hebeb394; 04-08-2013 at 08:54 PM. Reason: change description
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (17)

With what u want fiberglass or carbon fiber.. if not a 6" holesaw and if its not structural other wise its not happening

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
MAX EFFORT CUT AND WELDED SYSTEMAX 2 $650 24lb maf $125 and injectors $75
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-04-2012, 08:08 PM   #3

Aluminum heads, ditch the smog pump, you can also ditch the power steering and switch to a manual steering rack, fiberglass hood.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:09 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (2)

2700lbs ain't happening sorry.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (17)

this^

Sent from my SPH-D700 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
MAX EFFORT CUT AND WELDED SYSTEMAX 2 $650 24lb maf $125 and injectors $75
Old 11-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (8)

How light is your stang?
Old 11-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (92)

Garage
alum driveshaft, alum flywheel, mini starter, the little weight on the rear-end, do dumps on the car lose the tail pipes, tear out all the padding behind the carpet, put in quick roof heat/ sound sheild, save some weight.

get some light weight seats, take out the foglights and the brace that holds them in, take off front and rear sway bars, all though a LOT of people say its unsafe to do that, depends on your driving habits, routines.

I've done a few of these, and can tell the cars a little lighter, but not all of them, and I've not weighed in yet, doing a new motor now, and over the winter. not saying what you'll get to, just more options..
2003 Cobra, K. B. 2.3 , installed and tuned by Tim @ MPH , with a 4:10 gear, 571/581 on street gas. Gone but Never forgotten.
and a 70 Cuda , back in the day, I had the heads rebuilt, and blew it to smithereens,
Old 11-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (43)

Getting a light car and being a daily driver do not go in the same sentence...

If you want it light, rip out everything except the drivers seat and drivers seatbelt...Manual steering and brakes, no front sway bar, aluminum heads, tubular front suspension, no radio, no A/C, no heat, get a 1 core aluminum radiator, small electric fan that is just big enough to keep it running cool. Remove all the speakers and wiring you can, relocate battery to the truck and make it a small battery from Summit. If you want to get crazy, 8 gallon aluminum fuel cell...

Keeping a full interior and everyday creature comforts is not going to happen with you're goal, just doesnt work like that.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:47 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebeb394 View Post
Since it is a daily driver I have to keep full interior including speakers and I'll be keeping my heat/ac. I'd like to get it to 2700 lbs if that's possible.
You could lose up to ~200lb without losing the AC or stripping out the interior but to reach 2700lb, you'd pretty much have to gut the car and leave only the driver's seat.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:56 AM   #10

I love how everyone is so skeptical about 2700 pounds. That's absolutely hilarious. My fox is 2720 and doesn't even have weld wheels or skinnies and it's a GT.

Cut the door bracing
Remove the steel bumpers
Lexan Windows
Remove back Seats
Fuel cell
Fiber glass hood
No ac/smog/heat
Fiber Glass seats.

Done.
And there is still so much more that can be done to make it even lighter!

Swaybar removal.
Welds
Skinnies
Fiberglass doors
Fiberglass front clip.
Aluminum Heads.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #11

Trader Feedback: (41)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
I love how everyone is so skeptical about 2700 pounds. That's absolutely hilarious. My fox is 2720 and doesn't even have weld wheels or skinnies and it's a GT.

Cut the door bracing
Remove the steel bumpers
Lexan Windows
Remove back Seats
Fuel cell
Fiber glass hood
No ac/smog/heat
Fiber Glass seats.

Done.

Swaybar removal.
Welds
Skinnies
Fiberglass doors
Fiberglass front clip.
Aluminum Heads.
Did you read the OP? You have now completed violating almost every condition the OP clearly stated was not acceptable to him on his DD. He didn't ask how to build a gutted single purpose drag car.

Old combo- 306,AFR165,FTI,12.88 @108 NA, 11.82@116 on 100 shot.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #12

I wasn't responding to the OP, I was responding to those saying 2700 pounds isn't going to happen. But my car is my daily driver too. Even if he wanted to keep his interior and heat and air. That would only add another 100-200 pounds and welds would fix that.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #13

Trader Feedback: (5)

^the context of"2700# aint gunna happen" is in respect to keeping it a DD.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #14

Garage
Quote:
I wasn't responding to the OP, I was responding to those saying 2700 pounds isn't going to happen. But my car is my daily driver too. Even if he wanted to keep his interior and heat and air. That would only add another 100-200 pounds and welds would fix that.
Can the OP reduce his vehicle weight to 2700lb? Yes.
Can the OP reduce his vehicle weight to 2700lb with a full interior, stereo, speakers, heater, and AC? No.

Is that clear enough for you?

Quote:
Cut the door bracing - Bad idea unless it's a dragstrip only car. The bars are there to protect you if you get hit from the side.
Remove the steel bumpers - Not street legal and bad idea on a daily driver. Needed for collision protection.
Lexan Windows - OK.
Remove back Seats OK if you never have more than two occupants.
Fuel cell On a daily driver? I don't think so.
Fiber glass hood OK.
No ac/smog/heat The OP wants AC and heat.
Fiber Glass seats After 5 minutes your ass will be sore in a DD.

Done.

Swaybar removal. OK as long as you don't go round corners.
Welds OK.
Skinnies OK.
Fiberglass doors Not unless you have a full rollcage.
Fiberglass front clip. OK but I thought it was already fiberglass.
Aluminum Heads. Yes.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:50 AM   #15
MFE
Super Moderator

There's a giant thread about this going back years that can be found where this one should have been posted, which is General Mustang Tech, not in Engine Tech.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #16

I suppose it all just depends on your preference. I prefer my daily driver to be light as possible safe or not because as of now it's all I have. So to each their own I suppose. But if you wanted to get ridiculous with it, it could be made to work.

Oh and when I said Fiberglass front clip I mean the front clip that is the bumper cover and fenders. It is all one piece and weighs 35# Sorry for the Confusion.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:36 AM   #17

Trader Feedback: (43)

You say that now...Wait till you get in a 10mph fender bender that totals you're car due to not having any integrity...On a car driven ont he street, everything you mentioned is not only illegal but also a serious hazard to driver safety even in the slowest of crashes. And if you actually get to that point you will be adding a roll cage and weight int he process...
Old 02-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #18

Garage
Thanks everyone for helping me out, i knew this was a long shot lol didnt mean to cause a debate but thanks for all the ideas if i ever turn this into a drag car... doubt it but just maybe lol all comments were greatly appreciated!
Old 02-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #19

Quote:

Cut the door bracing
Remove the steel bumpers
Lexan Windows
Remove back Seats
Fuel cell
Fiber glass hood
No ac/smog/heat
Fiber Glass seats.

Done.

Swaybar removal.
Welds
Skinnies
Fiberglass doors
Fiberglass front clip.
Aluminum Heads.

Im with you. The last time i weighed my notch it was 2650 with out me in it. It was a full interior minus passenger seat, as that is how i had it at the track. Doesnt have ac but still has heat, stereo, speakers, rear seats, carpet, belts all the way around, stock doors, no lexan anywhere. Its got a glass hood, alum heads and no smog pump, coilovers and a k member with a manual rack.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #20

Garage
I don't know about the hood. I just had a stock Fox in not too long ago. The hood on that car felt quite a bit lighter than the fiberglass hood on mine.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:03 PM   #21

Trader Feedback: (1)

Fiberglass Hood & Hatch, Removal Dog Bone, Tubular k member & a arms,coilovers ,Front sway bar removal, Carpet padding remove, Lighter aftermarket seats, remove metal bracing on rear seats, fuel cell, Go through the wire harness and take out any unwanted wires and shorten the other wires thats in there, I think I removed Dash Bracing this only leaves the glove box unfunctional but can be worked around and fabd to work, lexan side windows, remove bumper braces and/or install lighter aftermarket ones, alum DS , alum FW ,alum heads, lighter wheels, remove any smog equipment, use manual steering rack , etc thats just some ideas & I know not all are going to apply to a DD to some people...

Last edited by 89CamminGT; 02-13-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:11 PM   #22

Trader Feedback: (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked03GT View Post
You say that now...Wait till you get in a 10mph fender bender that totals you're car due to not having any integrity...On a car driven ont he street, everything you mentioned is not only illegal but also a serious hazard to driver safety even in the slowest of crashes. And if you actually get to that point you will be adding a roll cage and weight int he process...
Wait until you insurance company finds out that you removed those items and tells you to go pound sand on the insurance claim.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #23

Trader Feedback: (10)

Quote:
Getting a light car and being a daily driver do not go in the same sentence...
+ 1

Quote:
Wait until you insurance company finds out that you removed those items and tells you to go pound sand on the insurance claim.
He'll find out the hard way.
87 Mustang GT Boss 363 Stroker, JE Pistons Eagle Crank-Rods, Anderson Cam 80# Inj AFR 205s, TFS R Box, MSD Ign,90 TB, 3.73 31 Spline, TKO 600 PT7675 CEA Turbo, Custom Stainless Turbo -Big Dog Fab. SCT Custom Tune (SOON)

90 Mustang GT On3 Turbo Stock Block/Cam 535HP 575 TQ Mustang Dyno 10.88 @ 128
Old 04-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #24

Garage
well i decided im not keeping all the interior lol i did a back seat removal including all brackets and insulation, everything except carpet lol im looking to get race seats and do an a/c delete... the a/c doesnt work but heater does! i have a set of jegs street/drag stars meats n skinnies, what else you think i can do WITHOUT buying expensive replacement parts or damaging structural integrity? much help appreciated btw
Sponsored Links
Advertisement