Contour Electric Fan Install. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 04:57 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (5)

Garage
Contour Electric Fan Install.

I just got done installing my contour dual electric fans on my 91GT. I spent ALOT of time on here and searching the internet to gather all the info I needed to get the project started so I figured I would share how I did it.

The reference I followed to get it done was this article here:

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ade/index.html

The only thing I ran into was the fan shroud was a little wider than my Be Cool radiator but I just used some foam strips to seal the gaps.

First I got the fans mounted on my Be Cool Radiator using the push through ties.

Then I got all the wiring done on the fans.

I mounted the Flex a Lite 31147 fan controller on the passenger side fender where the factory air box used to be.

I mounted the 40a relay by the battery.

Once I got the wires ran from the fan controller to the relay I put the radiator and fans in place.

Then i went on and got all the wired tied together and hooked up and got the temp probe installed through the radiator.

Even with the over sized radiator I still have plenty of room between the fans and the crank pulley ( about an inch or so )

It took a few hours to get it all done but it wasn't difficult at all. This is a project that anyone can tackle.

I know there are other threads about this install but I figured I would share my experience and hopefully help out anyone else that is in the same situation I was in.

Let me know what you guys think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2012, 05:25 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (7)

If you don't have the proper plug for the relay, it's always a good idea to fully insulate the female plugs. You've got hot terminals there that are exposed -- easy for 'accidents' to happen.

Other than that - looks like you've got a solution that works for you.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Yount View Post
If you don't have the proper plug for the relay, it's always a good idea to fully insulate the female plugs. You've got hot terminals there that are exposed -- easy for 'accidents' to happen.

Other than that - looks like you've got a solution that works for you.
That is a very good point, I never even thought about that. Im definitely gonna get that changed to the ones with a cover. Thanks man
Old 05-24-2012, 06:49 PM   #4

Garage
Much better now.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (0)

awsome! i think i might just how to try this. Did you end up reusing the stock overflow tank?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxBoxGT View Post
awsome! i think i might just how to try this. Did you end up reusing the stock overflow tank?
No, I don't have an overflow on it yet. I'm not sure if the stock one will fit, it might but I think I'm gonna run an aftermarket one somewhere else. I haven't quite figured out where yet.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (6)

Does anybody have a wiring diagram to use these fans, just curious...?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrock1109 View Post
Does anybody have a wiring diagram to use these fans, just curious...?
Are you wanting to wire it up with the relay and fan controller?
Old 05-26-2012, 10:15 PM   #9

Yes sir.... Relay and fan controller just like you used bro! Now I bought a bosch relay that had a wiring harness socket that plugs into the relay, but the wiring gauge is only 16-14awg at best, I probably need to use 10awg everywhere right and fuse the constant 12volt source to at least 40 amps right...?
Old 05-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #10

Garage
For wiring, we used a T-tap connector to pick up the key-on positive signal from the coolant overflow sensor harness and connected that to the key-on source on the temperature control unit. From there, we ran a wire to the 40-amp relay and its switch terminal (86 pin). The relay was then grounded on the 85 pin and a 12-volt constant power source was fitted to the 30 pin. The positive 12-volt output (87 pin) was then connected to the electric fan positive leads.

This is exactly how I wired mine up. I just followed the article.

Yea you don't want to use to small of wire. I would use the 10g wire.
Old 06-07-2012, 02:27 AM   #11

Did you fuse that 30pin wire on that relay...?
Old 06-07-2012, 05:51 AM   #12

Trader Feedback: (22)

good work! good pics!
Old 06-07-2012, 08:56 PM   #13

That coolant overflow sensor key on source keeps blowing the 20 amp inside TE car, but with a 25 amp it will buy not right away and with a 30amp fuse it won't blow, just curious if I used the right key on source, but the mustang article mentioned using it so just wondering.....
Old 06-07-2012, 09:04 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Did you fuse that 30pin wire on that relay...?
No not yet. I forgot to do it when I did the install. There will be one on there though.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostdcoupe View Post
good work! good pics!
Thanks man
Old 06-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #16

Garage
Quote:
That coolant overflow sensor key on source keeps blowing the 20 amp inside TE car, but with a 25 amp it will buy not right away and with a 30amp fuse it won't blow, just curious if I used the right key on source, but the mustang article mentioned using it so just wondering.....
That's where I hooked mine up to. I haven't had a chance to turn them on yet. My car isn't all the way back together yet. Once I try it out I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #17

How big of a fuse do I need to use you think on that 30 pin wire, you think a 40amp fuse would be to big?
Old 06-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #18

Garage
Quote:
How big of a fuse do I need to use you think on that 30 pin wire, you think a 40amp fuse would be to big?
Im pretty sure that's the one you wanna run. A buddy of mine is running pretty much the same setup and I think that's what he is using.
Old 06-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #19

Ask him about that key on issue I'm having would you, I really not liking overamping the coolant overflow circuit....
Old 06-07-2012, 11:31 PM   #20

Garage
Quote:
Ask him about that key on issue I'm having would you, I really not liking overamping the coolant overflow circuit....
I'll ask him tomorrow and let you know. You could always run it to the fuse that runs the cigarette lighter or tie into the the 12v for the stereo. They are both key on sources and might handle a little more juice. Just a thought.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #21

Thanks again bro, definitely get back with me please.....
Old 06-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #22

Garage
He said he is using a 40amp fuse and either ran the wire to the opposite side of the solenoid or to the fuse panel. He said he can't remember. Hope this helps.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #23

Does the alternator need upgraded for these fans like with the Mark VIII fans?
Old 06-11-2012, 09:28 AM   #24

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddyfiveo View Post
Does the alternator need upgraded for these fans like with the Mark VIII fans?
Yea it will need upgraded. I used a powermaster 140a or you could do the 3G upgrade.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #25

Seems to me your key-on source should just be used to 'trigger' the relay -- it will take virtually no current at all for that. Your power "in" to the relay can then use an inline fuse (whatever size you need) and be run straight from the positive terminal of the battery or the output bolt on the alternator. If you're blowing 20A and 25A fuses, you're pulling the power for the fan through the coolant circuit. Makes no sense at all to me.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #26

70 amp relay should be used,no t-taps as there are better ways to do it,ron francis makes a really nice affordable relay kit
Old 06-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #27

Old 06-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #28

heres a pic of the ron francis unit,comes with a maxi fuse
Old 06-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #29

My question is this what is generally the trigger pin on the relay, 86?
Old 06-18-2012, 08:36 PM   #30

Contour Fan

I am about to tackle this mod, but wanted to know if the dual fans from a Contour had to come out of a V6 model? I found only four cylinder models in the junkyard this weekend, and two of them had dual fan setups.

Will the dual fans out of the four cylinder cars work too?
Old 06-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #31

Trader Feedback: (21)

Garage
Sub'd for possible use in the near future.

Install looks really good BTW!

'99 Cobra - #256 of 4055
'88 LX 5.0 - Deceased
Old 06-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #32

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakedoc257 View Post
I am about to tackle this mod, but wanted to know if the dual fans from a Contour had to come out of a V6 model? I found only four cylinder models in the junkyard this weekend, and two of them had dual fan setups.

Will the dual fans out of the four cylinder cars work too?
I do believe you want the one out of a V6... Correct me if I'm wrong

I bought mine from summit though.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #33

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffManRHA View Post
Sub'd for possible use in the near future.

Install looks really good BTW!
Thanks man
Old 06-18-2012, 09:51 PM   #34

Trader Feedback: (21)

Garage
How does this unit compare to the Taurus 3.8 fan? I've found those in my research as an alternative to the Mk8, just like the Contour fan is also, but how do the Contour and Taurus fan compare to each other? Or are they the exact same fan?

'99 Cobra - #256 of 4055
'88 LX 5.0 - Deceased
Old 06-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #35

Keep an extra relay handy in the car. I don't know if those fans will cook it or not. After my experiences with electric fans 75amp minimum is what I use for the relays if I'm not using a fan controller.
03' Sonic Blue Cobra 497rwhp 481tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement