Exempt from odometer reporting - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

Exempt from odometer reporting

I'm looking at a car built in 1987 and a carfax report showed that it had 39,000 miles in 1992, when titled again in 2000 it didn't show the mileage and said 'Exempt from odometer reorting'.
It was titled 3 times after that and didn't show the mileage until 2010, mileage showed 43,000 and it said it was sold as a fleet vehicle at an auto auction.
In your opinion does this carfax devalue the car?

Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (15)

yes, if you look at it it appears during those 10 years there was only 4,000 miles put on it, but in reality it was probably 104,000 miles. Very common problem. The best way to tell is by the condition of the car, its usually easy to tell the difference between a 39,000 mile car and a 143,000 mile car.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrady92gt View Post
yes, if you look at it it appears during those 10 years there was only 4,000 miles put on it, but in reality it was probably 104,000 miles. Very common problem. The best way to tell is by the condition of the car, its usually easy to tell the difference between a 39,000 mile car and a 143,000 mile car.
It was picked up in an auction by the dealer who now owns it in 2010 and occording to the carfax it had 43,000 on it. Today it has 44,000 miles on it and it looks like a 40k car, or better.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (36)

What States was it registered in during the span from 2000-2010?

Has it been sitting in storage or something?

Just be careful of cars and/or owners who claim "low miles" or "original miles" these days, because Fox Mustangs are desirable and everyone and their mother is trying to pawn off "low mile" Foxes to the public... If it were me, I'd be up and all under that car checking out everything about it, looking closely at everything to confirm (or deny) the mileage claim.

Does the owner have any other paperword to back up the low mile claim? Any previous paperwork, such as maintenance, titles, registration docs, etc?

Not doubting low mile cars exist, just saying, be very aware of someone trying to make more $$$ off something that may not be legit.
1994 Cobra coupe SVT #0013, 2011 Genesis Coupe
Old 02-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #5

A couple of things...

One, any car that has reached ten years of age (2002 and older as of 2012) is exempt from mileage reporting requirements. At the dealership I work at, if it is 02 or older we just simply write "Exempt" in the odometer area. It is reported this way during registration. In and of itself, this is not a problem and is perfectly legal and normal for older cars.

Secondly, due to the fact that the majority of our cars have only a 5 digit odometer, they tend to have rolled over, and when the mileage gets reported it shows as lower than they actually have. Honestly, unless the seller is an original (or maybe second) owner of the vehicle, I would always expect that the car has over 100K without some really good documentation. Really, how many people have cars that are over 20 years old and have only logged 40K? Ebay would have you believe that they are all over the place.

Now, as to the value of the car. I don't think that you can make the claim that this car truly has low mileage. Clearly, it had 39K put on in the first five years, it has likely rolled over at least once in its lifetime. So, the value is going to come down to how nice the car is, and how much someone is willing to pay (as usual) for a nice car.

Personally, I wouldn't be deterred by a higher mileage Fox that was in good condition. If the car is straight and hasn't been in any major accidents, that is fine. Would a documented low mileage car bring more? Probably, but it will naturally lose that value quickly if you start putting miles on the car. If I was buying the car as a collector, I would hold out for a low mileage car that I could store away. If I was just a guy buying a fun car, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:44 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (7)

"Clearly, it had 39K put on in the first five years,"

With a 5 digit odo there's simply no way to be sure. It could have had 139,000 miles put on it from '87-'92.....
Old 02-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Yount View Post
"Clearly, it had 39K put on in the first five years,"

With a 5 digit odo there's simply no way to be sure. It could have had 139,000 miles put on it from '87-'92.....
You are right, of course... More than likely it was 39K in 1992, but it is a possibility that it was 139K at that point, especially if it was bought by someone who used their car for work.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #8

I'm sorry, I should've specified that the car is a 1987 Grand National, not a Mustang.

Here's a copy of the report.

Detailed History

08/23/1991 38,000 Minnesota
Inspection Station Failed emissions inspection

08/24/1991 Minnesota
Inspection Station Failed emissions inspection
Passed emissions inspection

09/10/1992 39,000 Minnesota
Inspection Station Passed emissions inspection

01/18/2000 Minnesota
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Saint Paul, MN
Title #H0180M396 Title or registration issued

11/01/2000 Minnesota
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Minneapolis, MN
Title #F3060M408 Title or registration issued
Loan or lien reported

06/04/2008 Florida
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Orlando, FL
Title #0100819015 Title issued or updated
New owner reported
Vehicle color noted as Black

07/26/2010 43,600 Auto Auction
Pennsylvania Listed as a fleet vehicle
Sold at auction

10/08/2010 Pennsylvania
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Elizabeth, PA
Title #68812433EL01 Title issued or updated
Dealer took title of this vehicle
while it was in inventory

Looks like it wasn't registered (and probably not driven) between 1992 and 2000 and since it was over 10 years old they put the 'Exempt from odometer reporting' on the new title.

I'm not sure how they do it in MN but I made sure here in PA that the odometer status on the title for my 92 coupe shows actual mileage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement