what can i do for my new exhaust for rust protection? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (26)

what can i do for my new exhaust for rust protection?

i have new mac ceramic shortys...will be buying mac prochamber and dumps...want some sort of rust protection...what are you guys doing?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (7)

Is the car driven in the winter/salt?
Old 10-23-2011, 08:58 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Yount View Post
Is the car driven in the winter/salt?
his location says ney york so id say yes
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-23-2011, 10:34 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (29)

I will be sending all of my exhaust off to get ceramic coated, from my brand new Kooks all the way to the tail pipes.

White '88 LX-FordStrokers 408W
Old 10-24-2011, 12:12 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (1)

Well, to start with, I wouldn't be buying Mac. If you don't want to worry about rust, buy some quality stainless products.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:10 AM   #6

wick - I saw the NY location (not 'ney york' ) - but many cars like these are put away for the winter....hence the question. In fact -- cars like these that aren't put away for all the winters up north since their creation have mostly gone to the junk yard due to rust a while ago...

If the car just sees summer duty, aluminized pipes/mufflers should suffice. Mine have a bit of rust only where they were welded on after 9 years/30,000 miles in TN/NC. If the car sees winter duty and you're serious about wanting low/no corrosion - then either stainless or ceramic coat everything.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:11 AM   #7

yeah it goes away b4 winter but the residual salt left on the road in the spring still does a number...i love the way the macs sound hence my decision to go that route...i was looking into slp at first but preferred the sound of the macs...i was looking into that jet-hot coating but im not sure how much that costs???
Old 10-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #8

Typically a set of long tubes costs somewhere in the $200-250 range; coating the whole H-pipe and mufflers won't be cheap. And shipping it ---
Old 10-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #9

Garage
I would think the exhaust would rust through from the inside out due to the corossive gasses and water inside the exhaust system, yes the outside will show rust but i wouldn't shell out all that money on ceramic coating when the rust will work its way through from the inside out, but i am a skeptic when it comes to most things, like does ceramic coating really keep heat inside the headers so your engine compartment stays cooler, i find that hard to believe and the high price of the stuff just to make your exhaust look pretty. You could buy a set of headers for the price of ceramic coating your exhaust.

Last edited by 4rdnut; 10-24-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #10

Shoot an infrared temp sensor at a set of coated and uncoated headers under similar running conditions and your skepticism about ceramic coating's ability to reduce radiated heat will be allayed. Those coatings were developed for military turbine applications - dealing with header heat is child's play for most of them.

Me - I did it for durability and appearance. They can coat the inside too -- not the mufflers of course. What kills exhaust from the inside out is starting them up and not running them long enough to dry out the condensation - especially when it's cold. My personal record when my wife worked a job .7 mile from our house was - 11 months. That's how long it took to rust the muffler from the inside out.

'Course - most of the new stuff is a bit more durable than VW's mufflers back in the mid 70's...

Last edited by Michael Yount; 10-24-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #11

yeah i would be looking at $600-700 to have my exhaust coated...i can buy a new one for that almost lol...basically more for appearance than anything...my mac shorty headers are ceramic coated so does that mean they wont show surface rust? i hate the way the bbk that came on the car when i bought it look...ruins my engine bay that ive put alot of time into. any cheaper solutions for preventing surface rust? i plan to fully undercoat the car with a por-15 equivalent...and all my maximum motorsports parts are powdercoated....so would like to keep it all looking nice
Old 10-28-2011, 11:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wythors View Post
Well, to start with, I wouldn't be buying Mac. If you don't want to worry about rust, buy some quality stainless products.
I have a tid bit for you about MAC exhausts.

I put a full system on my Capri shortly after I bought it, drove it in PA winters for 3 years, parked it in my yard and decided to rebuild the engine. Didn't have a garage and planned on doing it quickly, but lost my job shortly after I pulled the engine.... so it sat in my yard, in the grass (that eventually turned to dirt) uncovered for the next 5 years. Got a good job and decided to do a resto on it since it had pretty much gone to crap from sitting so long. I ended up replacing just about everything mechanical on the car... except for, and get this.... the MAC exhaust... because it only had surface rust, but was otherwise perfectly intact. I finished that restoration 15 years ago and I'm STILL running the same exhaust with no rust through.

cliff notes:

Put a MAC exhaust on my car.
Ran it for 3 years.
Removed engine and let car sit outside for 5 years.
Restored the whole car except for the exhaust because it was fine.
Have been running the car with that exhaust for the past 15 years.
So my MAC system has lasted a total of 23 years and still going strong.
MAC gets my seal of approval.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:16 AM   #13

Trader Feedback: (20)

I had a local powdercoating shop do my headers, mufflers, flowtubes, and non-polished parts of my tailpipes, coated in Cerakote. The headers have been on for over 2 years and other than dings and scratches from my ham handed installation and working on the car, they look great. The rest of the exhaust has been on less than a year, but has been holding up well as well. It comes in several colors. I had the flowtubes back done in black, while the headers are in silver.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:02 AM   #14

Trader Feedback: (5)

Perhaps some kind of cathodic protection system?
Old 10-29-2011, 10:15 AM   #15

Trader Feedback: (2)

I went with Magnaflow stainless but Im betting if its not driven in the snow it will last a good long time.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:53 PM   #16

Trader Feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capri View Post
I have a tid bit for you about MAC exhausts...
I'm glad you had a good experience. Personally, other than a battery cover if have on my white car, every Mac product I have ever purchased, worked on or seen has been an ill-fitting piece of crap. It's sad because I really like the concept of their Prochamber's, but I'll never buy one because of their lack of quality that I've experienced.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:26 PM   #17

Trader Feedback: (22)

DynoMax SuperTurbos and standard aluminized tubing on mine for the last 5 years. (Pic is a couple years old, but the pipes/mufflers still look the same.)

Car is a fair-weather driver, stored winters in Ohio.

Andy
Old 10-31-2011, 09:45 PM   #18

Trader Feedback: (51)

IF you don't want to spend a lot of money. I have had very good luck with VHT high temp paint. I am kinda cheap and times and will paint exhaust part with the "ceramic" exhaust paint and it holds up very will. You have to make sure you clean it up good and follow the direction.

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=4hrqs83[/url]
Old 10-31-2011, 10:47 PM   #19
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (11)

Garage
exhaust rust

I painted mine with black rustoleum. 3 yrs later, it's still there looking good. from collectors back. no blistering or peeling. 3" duals, dynomax's, turndowns. most systems rust from the inside. silver paint lasts longer(aluminum powwder) painted a boat trailer 8 yrs ago, still there.
90 coupe, 302,9.7 comp,scat rods, ported windsor sr.'s(286 cfm@.600" 2.05/1.60),tfs stage 3 cam, funnel web, 750dp,c4/4000,4.30 gears, aeromotive 140 pump-motor/holley red for nitrous, 16 gal. cell, 2 stage nitrous,M/T 28x9 et drag,5" cowl hood.

Last edited by tim harris; 10-31-2011 at 10:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement