Smells like gas!? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 12:48 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (2)

Smells like gas!?

i have two mustangs, a 89 GT and a 91 GT. They were both getting low on gas so i took them and put gas in on Monday. Tuesday everything was fine, but then Wednesday morning the garage smells heavy like gas? After checking under both cars i found no leaks? one other interested bit of info is the 89 GT does not take fuel well, the gas pump starts and stops a few times before you can put gas in normally...if you try putting gas in to fast at the beginning it will run out the over flow tube?

any idea's what could cause such a strong gas smell?
'91 GT,410W,10.5 to 1 comp,Victor Jr. heads,Victor 5.8 intake,FTI cam,Accufab 90mm TB,80mm maf,42lbers,Mac 1 3/4 long tubes,3"catback,3"powerchamber,3.55 gears,Tremec TKO,Spec stage 3 clutch,FMS driveshaft,PRO 5.0,Mcloud bell
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 01:04 AM   #2

Check gas cap and maybe your running so rich it's coming out if the exhaust. Air your garage our, if it happens again then I would look further, one time thing ehh I would let it go assuming you checked everything. Try the grommet on the fuel neck that goes into the gas tank, those dry rotten all the time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:45 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced408W View Post
Try the grommet on the fuel neck that goes into the gas tank, those dry rotten all the time.
This is where my fumes are coming from (VERY strong for some reason), along with the box the filler pipe connects to being broken. Just waiting for some extended downtime to R/R it all...
Old 10-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #4

i was actually thinking gas cap. i thought maybe it had been so long since i put gas in that when i removed the cap it finished it off. im almost positive each car has the original gas cap.

what is weird to me is that they both sat in the garage for a day with no smell? both cars have pretty much full tanks also, not sure if that would matter?

i know my 91 runs pretty rich, what fuel pressure should i be looking at with the 91? i think i have it set a few PSI above factory?

im going to park one of the cars outside over night to try to determine which car is causing the stink.
'91 GT,410W,10.5 to 1 comp,Victor Jr. heads,Victor 5.8 intake,FTI cam,Accufab 90mm TB,80mm maf,42lbers,Mac 1 3/4 long tubes,3"catback,3"powerchamber,3.55 gears,Tremec TKO,Spec stage 3 clutch,FMS driveshaft,PRO 5.0,Mcloud bell
Old 10-13-2011, 12:30 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (21)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced408W View Post
Check gas cap and maybe your running so rich it's coming out if the exhaust. Air your garage our, if it happens again then I would look further, one time thing ehh I would let it go assuming you checked everything. Try the grommet on the fuel neck that goes into the gas tank, those dry rotten all the time.
Same thing happened on my Cobra, and it wasn't too hard to replace, just a PITA really. When it started leaking I could smell it when I parked in a garage, but at the time I was at an apt so it didn't build up in the carport, obviously. I couldn't fill it past 1/2 or so, otherwise it would leak out the grommet

'99 Cobra - #256 of 4055
'88 LX 5.0 - Deceased
Old 10-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #6

not sure about the 89 but the 91 has a new gromment
Old 10-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (21)

Garage
Have you pressurized the system by running the car and looked underneath the tank and along the framerail to make sure that there isn't a leak at a line?

'99 Cobra - #256 of 4055
'88 LX 5.0 - Deceased
Old 10-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #8

i seen no evidence of a leak anywhere.

could a bad gas cap cause such a stink?
Old 10-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #9

Yes I would say so, no different then leaving a portable tank with the cap off.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:26 PM   #10
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (8)

See if it's coming from the charcoal canister in the engine bay
Old 10-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #11

found something interesting, i had left one car outside and it smelled still so i put that car back in and put the other car out and it still smells like gas so it seems it my becoming from both? whats the chances of that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement