Quiet exhaust that still flows really good - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 08:27 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (3)

Quiet exhaust that still flows really good

Looking for quiet exhaust for my stang, wanna be able to drive around town without getting messed with by cops just because my car is loud, low drone noise inside car, and still makes good flow, looking for input
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (12)

Exclamation

Magnaflows! Next ?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-04-2011, 09:54 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (36)

dynomax super turbos, preferably with an x pipe.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:23 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (0)

Garage
Any muffler that isn't an empty square metal box with ugly welds will be quiet. I had maremont turbo replacement mufflers on my 86 gt way back that sounded good, not loud, not super quiet, just right. I think they might still have them on the shelves at mieneke or midas.

Last edited by 4rdnut; 10-05-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:38 AM   #5

another vote for a catted x pipe with magnaflow or dynomax superturbos. maybe even flowmaster 3 chambers 50 series
Old 10-05-2011, 10:31 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (6)

Why don't you do the T-pipe mod on the exhaust you have already?
Old 10-05-2011, 04:31 PM   #7

I already have 3 chamber flowmaster, with x-pipe and long tubes and dont like the sound, gonna see if i can find sound clips of magnaflows
Old 10-05-2011, 04:50 PM   #8

do you have cats? i would assume so being in california...i know ive heard some say the dynomax are really quiet. h pipe will be deeper tone.

i have magnaflow on my explorer with a 4.6 but its only a single exit. its quiet at cruising speeds and only loud in high rpm range 4k to redline. ive never had any complaints from neighbors or anything.

my fox had headers with no x or h to flowmasters dumped and they were too loud for me, i switched to a catted xpipe with mac dumps and its music to my ears. couldnt be happier. not as much drone as the flowmasters. of course full length tailpipes would be toned down a bit more but i like to hear my car.

another idea could be to add resonators before your mufflers
Old 10-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #9

No cats, I have full length tail pipes, I think its the drone noise that gets me, outside the car it sounds great, I'll post a video once I put my gas tank back in, sumped it for carb and it rusted so had to get it coated
Old 10-05-2011, 09:30 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (6)

Yep for the drone do the T-piece mod.
A little light reading:
Exhaust Drone is Completely Gone
Old 10-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #11

Trader Feedback: (9)

super turbos like said...quite on my big cam 351
Old 10-06-2011, 02:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3kid View Post
Looking for quiet exhaust for my stang, wanna be able to drive around town without getting messed with by cops just because my car is loud, low drone noise inside car, and still makes good flow, looking for input

Th3kid – What year Mustang do you have? What mods have you done?

Many Mustang owners have liked the Delta 40 because it’s a little quieter than the Super 44 and Super 40 while still having the Flowmaster sound. Some Mustang owners are also finding our HP-2 as an option if they don’t want the chambered muffler sound.

www.flowmastermufflers.com
www.hushpower.com
Flowmaster on facebook
Flowmaster on YouTube
Old 10-06-2011, 04:45 PM   #13

Trader Feedback: (4)

dynomax super turbos.

-Dalai Lama
Old 10-06-2011, 06:05 PM   #14

Exclamation

Let me know, cause I am selling a almost (new) set of Magnaflows with flow tubes for $100.00 plus shipping!
Old 10-07-2011, 12:36 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpediem50 View Post
dynomax super turbos.
I went to this setup with a BBK X pipe with cats FRPP ceramic shorty headers.
On my 93 Cobra, sounds great cruise around town, go wot and you know it is a V8 for sure.
306 gt40x e-cam Deep toned idle, the x-pipe kinda growls nore so than H pipe.
I had Mac headers,H pipe and cat back, was too loud and the drone would make your ears bleed.

Last edited by BiLL1024; 10-07-2011 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:10 PM   #16

Quote:
No cats, I have full length tail pipes, I think its the drone noise that gets me, outside the car it sounds great, I'll post a video once I put my gas tank back in, sumped it for carb and it rusted so had to get it coated
get some high flow cats on there, it will help tone it down. and keep the cops off your back. i know in nj its a pretty steep fine for running without. my cats will come off when i move to a state that doesnt test emissions. granted i havent been stopped and checked out but id rather not deal with the hassle
Old 10-08-2011, 07:43 AM   #17

Trader Feedback: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerxmdd View Post
Let me know, cause I am selling a almost (new) set of Magnaflows with flow tubes for $100.00 plus shipping!
LOL, nice hangers.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:17 AM   #18

Exclamation

Yeah,Yeah,Yeah! Those were just Temp. to hold them up until I could get a the propper hang down bracket welded to mufflers. The car is in the driveway, it still needs to have the brakes bleed and get alignment. While I'm at the shop, I would be getting the exhaust welded up.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:51 AM   #19

Trader Feedback: (7)

The challenge with posts like these is that 'quiet' is in the ear of the beholder. One person's quiet is another person's 'way too loud'. I've probably had 7 different exhaust systems with various combinations of mufflers from Flowmaster, Dynomax, Magnaflow, Bassani and SpinTech on mine. ALL of them were too loud -- for me. And beware anything with packing. The Bassani set up started off PERFECT. But within 3 months and about 3000 miles was louder than anything else as the packing burned up. And trying to pursue a warranty claim was useless. That's one manufacturer I won't be sending any more money too.

The set up I arrived at was using a stock replica/OEM Boss 429 single transverse set up. It fits my particular car (the stock muffler sits in the same location) -- and sounds good without being too loud for my old ears. But I know I'm compromising flow. Having said that - I'm about to go with an in-tank fuel pump - which will free up the area ahead of the rear axle for 2 mufflers just like you Stang owners use. I can feel exhaust system number 9 coming up.....

The only way to know for sure what's going to please your ear (original poster) is to try things. Be prepared to give it more than one shot -- because it's probably luck more than anything else if you get it right on the first go round. The larger the muffler case - the more likely you'll achieve lower volumes with decent flow. And check out the thread listed up above regarding 'drone'. There's a LOT OF GOOD muffler tech referenced in the thread --- above and beyond the drone issue.

Last edited by Michael Yount; 10-08-2011 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:51 AM   #20

Trader Feedback: (8)

I have the dynomax cat back on my car. It's really quiet but I also have a turbo. I still think it wouldn't be to much louder on tour car.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2011, 01:47 PM   #21

Trader Feedback: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerxmdd View Post
Yeah,Yeah,Yeah! Those were just Temp. to hold them up until I could get a the propper hang down bracket welded to mufflers. The car is in the driveway, it still needs to have the brakes bleed and get alignment. While I'm at the shop, I would be getting the exhaust welded up.
Temporary enough to rust out!
Old 10-08-2011, 02:16 PM   #22

Exclamation

Your Killing Me! LOL! Anyway Mufflers Are Off so I can Sell! There!!
Old 10-08-2011, 03:21 PM   #23

Trader Feedback: (86)

I believe Dynomax Ultraflows out flow Maggy's, and are the same style (sound, loudness) muffler... FWIW. Super Turbos are the quietest, but you will definitely sacrifice flow and durability.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #24

Trader Feedback: (20)

Garage
Does anyone make a valved-muffler anymore? I absolutely LOVE my FR500 exhaust as it is very close to stock, even with my off-road X-pipe, at idle and light cruise. Only when I floor it does it go loud from opening the baffles/valves/whatever inside the muffler and go free flow, and even then its nothing like my old 5.0 with Prochamber and Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust.

Its just too bad they stopped making the FR500 exhaust, as well as the mufflers so they could at least then be adapted to other uses, but the second X-pipe at the mufflers is neat-o

'99 Cobra - #256 of 4055
'88 LX 5.0 - Deceased
Old 10-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #25

Trader Feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffManRHA View Post
Does anyone make a valved-muffler anymore? I absolutely LOVE my FR500 exhaust as it is very close to stock, even with my off-road X-pipe, at idle and light cruise. Only when I floor it does it go loud from opening the baffles/valves/whatever inside the muffler and go free flow, and even then its nothing like my old 5.0 with Prochamber and Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust.

Its just too bad they stopped making the FR500 exhaust, as well as the mufflers so they could at least then be adapted to other uses, but the second X-pipe at the mufflers is neat-o
I saw these the other day, and they've got me curious....I'm also looking for something to quiet down my car....

Dynomax® Performance Exhaust | Mufflers | Dynomax VT™ Muffler

I'd love to know if anyone has tried these.
91 GT, AFR 165's, Systemax II, F303, 42lb inj, Aeromotive fpr, 255 + T-Rex, PMAS Velocity, 75mm TB, FC 3000 Ign, MSD ProBillet, BBK shorties, 3" Magnaflow dumps, Auburn w/3.73's, TKO-600, Pro Motion Clutch, Diablosport custom tune, PLX wideband, SQ S-trim @ 12lbs, AFM Powerpipe. 531 rwhp 465 rwtq
Old 10-09-2011, 12:43 AM   #26

Trader Feedback: (40)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keesor View Post
I saw these the other day, and they've got me curious....I'm also looking for something to quiet down my car....

Dynomax® Performance Exhaust | Mufflers | Dynomax VT™ Muffler

I'd love to know if anyone has tried these.
I have a set of these mufflers. I got a decent deal on them from advance auto parts with their online coupons. It will probably be another couple weeks before they are installed and the car is running. I am getting old and I wanted something that is hopefully quiet.

The combo is Explorer engine with FTI custom cam, no name shorties, Mac Prochamber, VT mufflers and Flowmaster tailpipes.

Inlet

Outlet

Griggs GR-40 coil over front suspension with Koni SA Yellows w/350# springs in front with Brembo 13" front brakes, EVM Tri-Link, Leda Coilovers w/275# springs in rear. 8.8/9" hybrid rear axles with cobra calipers and rotors. 17x9 real Cobra R with 245/40ZR17 Sumitos.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #27

Trader Feedback: (20)

Garage
I've never seen the inside of the FR500 exhaust, but I would imagine it looks very close to what has been posted above. I got it since the Cobra is a vert so I was specifically looking for something not terribly loud at idle/cruise since it would be impossible to talk, but when I go driving for fun, I can enjoy the engine/exhaust sound too.

The only question I would have on the Dynomax is if it is stainless steel? I know the FR500 is and thats why I wasn't/aren't worried about it rusting from the inside-out and of course disabling/destroying the valving ability inside the muffler. Is the one posted above stainless?

'99 Cobra - #256 of 4055
'88 LX 5.0 - Deceased
Old 10-09-2011, 09:05 PM   #28

I have Imco turbo mufflers on my 89.

They are pretty quiet with no drone on the highway and still have a performance sound.

No idea on how well they flow.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffManRHA View Post
The only question I would have on the Dynomax is if it is stainless steel?
Dynomax's website says "Stainless steel construction."
91 GT, AFR 165's, Systemax II, F303, 42lb inj, Aeromotive fpr, 255 + T-Rex, PMAS Velocity, 75mm TB, FC 3000 Ign, MSD ProBillet, BBK shorties, 3" Magnaflow dumps, Auburn w/3.73's, TKO-600, Pro Motion Clutch, Diablosport custom tune, PLX wideband, SQ S-trim @ 12lbs, AFM Powerpipe. 531 rwhp 465 rwtq
Old 10-09-2011, 11:31 PM   #30

Trader Feedback: (142)

i have those mufflers, vt, on my turbo car and love them

i run them wiht dumps and it got rid of the drone and made my car SUPER quiet, it was already on the quiet side from the turbo, but this is awesome

When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory
Old 10-11-2011, 11:38 AM   #31

Trader Feedback: (4)

Something else I just thought of is the summit cat back kit. Its not gorgeous, and it probably won't last extremely long on a car daily driven, especially in the rust belt, but the whole kit was $200 several years ago, went in easy, and was pretty quiet.

-Dalai Lama
Old 10-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #32

I was actually looking at the vt's and was searching on youtube for sound clips but i cant find any, got the gas tank back in, car sounds good, fixed an exhaust leak, but lm prob gonna buy the vt's the only other thing i was wondering is if I should go from 2 1/2 inch to full 3 in exhaust. 347, 10:5-1, carb, 1 3/4 long tubes. I guess I just don't like the flowmaster sound lol, Anyone with the dynomax vt have a sound clip?
Old 10-11-2011, 11:09 PM   #33

Quote:
I was actually looking at the vt's and was searching on youtube for sound clips but i cant find any, got the gas tank back in, car sounds good, fixed an exhaust leak, but lm prob gonna buy the vt's the only other thing i was wondering is if I should go from 2 1/2 inch to full 3 in exhaust. 347, 10:5-1, carb, 1 3/4 long tubes. I guess I just don't like the flowmaster sound lol, Anyone with the dynomax vt have a sound clip?
If you're complaining about your exhaust being too loud now, don't move up to 3". And I wouldn't think you'd gain a whole lot of power by going to 3". But I can tell you it will be louder than the 2 1/2", mine was quite a bit louder, that's why I'm searching for some way to quiet it down, but I really hate to go back to 2 1/2" exhaust, because I'm at 500+ RWHP now, and will soon be close to 700 RWHP.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:48 AM   #34

I would like to know how the dynomaxs vt's sound as well! I hate the drone on my car!!
Old 10-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #35

Quote:

th3kid - what year Mustang do you have? Exhaust can be very different depending on the engine and what modifications you've made.

Even though your engine will be different, hearing different mufflers on one engine will give an idea of the diffrent sounding mufflers. This comparison video will demonstrate that and also help if you're looking for a different sound than the Flowmaster chambered muffler.

www.flowmastermufflers.com
www.hushpower.com
Flowmaster on facebook
Flowmaster on YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement