Why is my 93 Fox running so Hot??? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (8)

Why is my 93 Fox running so Hot???

I'm trying to figure out why my 93 5.0 is running so hot. My mods are in my sig, there are 128,000 miles on the car and runs and drives with good power and doesn't leak anything.

I just put in a New Mishimoto Radiator and with new Hi-temp hoses and a 180* thermo stat and that helped but it still runs around 220-230 degrees sometimes.

I plan on taking of UD pullies, and putting on my BBK off road pipe, I figured that would help a little more. But what else could be the Issue?

Yes I do live in AZ and it is like 115* everyday, but I have a good cooling system so I expect my car to run cooler then 220+degrees..you know.
Current Car: 93 GT Vert...BBK cold air,BBK Equal Shortys, BBK Catted X-Pipe,Full MSD 6Al Ignition, BBK 70 TB,UD Pulleys, BBK Grip Subframes, BBK Strut Bar, M&M (4-Point) K-Member 3.73 gears, Steeda Tri-Axe, Mishimoto 2 Core Radiator, 180* Thermo...

Proud owner of 9 former Mustangs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2011, 08:56 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (143)

is this problem at low or high speed?

When The Results Disagree With The Theory: Believe The Results And Invent A New Theory
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-28-2011, 09:16 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (115)

The U/D water pump pulley is probably not a good idea if you live in a climate seeing temps like that.
Also may want to check out your fan clutch.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:22 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankstang View Post
The U/D water pump pulley is probably not a good idea if you live in a climate seeing temps like that.
Also may want to check out your fan clutch.
x's 2... fan clutch is the most undiagnosed cooling problem i ever encountered, everyone says "it looks good." but how is it supposed to look, what matters is on the inside.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostdcoupe View Post
x's 2... fan clutch is the most undiagnosed cooling problem i ever encountered, everyone says "it looks good." but how is it supposed to look, what matters is on the inside.
Good Point..I'm going to replace that ASAP and see if that makes a difference.

It seems to run hot when I'm crusing down the freeway at 80mph with A/C on..I have to run the A/C it's always 110+ out here..lol...Lucky It's my pleasure car so I only drive it once a week or so...But it just pisses me off.

It also will get hot just going 45mph..so it's really not a matter of when..It just gets hot.
Current Car: 93 GT Vert...BBK cold air,BBK Equal Shortys, BBK Catted X-Pipe,Full MSD 6Al Ignition, BBK 70 TB,UD Pulleys, BBK Grip Subframes, BBK Strut Bar, M&M (4-Point) K-Member 3.73 gears, Steeda Tri-Axe, Mishimoto 2 Core Radiator, 180* Thermo...

Old 08-28-2011, 10:34 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (2)

Does it have the little chin spoiler thingy hanging off the bottom of the radiator support? A GT needs all the help it can get to get air into the radiator. Since you're warming up at speed, which is where a healthy car with a new cooling system should run at it's coolest, it sounds to me like the radiator isn't getting enough airflow.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #7

Trader Feedback: (19)

I had similar cooling issues. Not too bad but would be in the neighborhood of 215*+ on a 95* day without getting on the car. I replaced my radiator with a Fluidyne Aluminum 3 core. I also installed a Police Package Clutch Fan. Since I am under driven, I installed a 93 Cobra Water Pump pulley. This over drives the water pump to compensate for the under driven crank. I also installed the side air deflectors on both sides of the radiator (1984-93 Mustang Radiator Side Air Deflector Pair with Attaching Hardware at LRS - Same Day Shipping!). I still have to put on the new lower air damn since mine is cracked.

Overall, my car barely hits 200* even when I have fun with it. Definitely an improvement and I am satisfied with the results. The real test will be when I hit the road course in Sept.
Etc...
Old 08-29-2011, 04:46 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (0)

Have you checked the temp sender and gauge to be sure they are not lying to you?

Also... make sure you have good coolant flow. The thermostat does not seem to be the issue since you just replaced it and the problem is still there.

My brother had an '85ish Olds Cutlass with a 305 that had a mysterious overheating issue at higher speeds. It turns out that it was the vanes on the water pump... I don't know the specifics of how it happened, but they were basically no good (rusted out or otherwise inoperative) and the car was barely getting any water flow. At idle it was ok, but on hotter days in the desert it would overheat badly, especially climbing hills (and there were several 7% plus grades he had to climb in very high desert temperatures near Palm Springs fairly often).

The old stand-by test for this is to squeeze the upper radiator hose after the car has warmed up (thermostat open) and see how much resistance you get.

If it was the fan clutch, you would expect to see normal temps at speed and high temps at idle and low speeds, like at stoplights and in heavy traffic.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustang View Post
I had similar cooling issues. Not too bad but would be in the neighborhood of 215*+ on a 95* day without getting on the car. I replaced my radiator with a Fluidyne Aluminum 3 core. I also installed a Police Package Clutch Fan. Since I am under driven, I installed a 93 Cobra Water Pump pulley. This over drives the water pump to compensate for the under driven crank. I also installed the side air deflectors on both sides of the radiator (1984-93 Mustang Radiator Side Air Deflector Pair with Attaching Hardware at LRS - Same Day Shipping!). I still have to put on the new lower air damn since mine is cracked.

Overall, my car barely hits 200* even when I have fun with it. Definitely an improvement and I am satisfied with the results. The real test will be when I hit the road course in Sept.
Thanks Man..That's the setup I just ordered from PPI. I used to own a SSP Stang out here, and that thing ran cool as could be..and it was supercharged.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:12 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (18)

couple of things

1. Check the clutch fan
2. Are you using the fan shroud? This is often removed but helps to cool
3. Make sure chin spoiler is in good shape
4.U/D water pump pulley needs to go
5. Throw a bottle or 2 of water wetter in
6. Is your antifreeze the correct mixture and system burped- including heater core
7. Are all the hoses new and not bucking internally
8. Check to see your thermostat functions properly
9. An electric fan will do wonders- even a pusher on the front
10. Lastly a good coolant system flush will help

FYI, I ran a griffin radiator, Lincoln MKVII electricfan and never had an overheating issue on my car with a vortech.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement