Anyone adapt aftermarket seats to their stock seat tracks? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (21)

Garage
Anyone adapt aftermarket seats to their stock seat tracks?

I'm looking at a set of seats from Summit that are black leather and at a VERY good price for what they are, and without the ridiculous shipping charges of the ones on eBay. That and they are blank so they don't have some random word or logo on there - in fact, might get COBRA stitched in to match the Cobra script on my '03 style rear bumper.

Anyway, I'd like to save money by using my stock seat rails and attaching them to the seats. Obviously there will be some fabricating involved which is fine, but I just wanted to see if anyone has done it and has pics, how difficult it was, etc.

Wasn't sure if this question would go in this forum, but it seemed to fit!

EDIT : Maybe I could get some ahead of time and get them welded to the track on the bottom of the Summit seat?

Here is the Summit seat : http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1159-2/

As for mounting them I would these to then mount to the Summit seat track, right? : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...item1e644c56d8

'99 Cobra - #256 of 4055
'88 LX 5.0 - Deceased

Last edited by DuffManRHA; 06-29-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2011, 01:52 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (9)

Those are the exact seats I have in my t-top car. All it took was to bolt a piece of flat bar across the seat track at the front and one at the rear; drill some holes and bolt the seats to the flat bars. Pretty simple.

FYI they are not leather but simulated leather, aka vinyl. They're alright, the foam is pretty hard but for a cheap seat they'll work.

Last edited by buffhomer; 06-30-2011 at 01:55 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-30-2011, 12:28 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (45)

From what I have learned, you can reuse your factory track to mount them. Or you could use the Holcomb motorsports brackets to mount them.

To use your factory mounts you need to drill holes in either the seats or the brackets. The Holcomb brakets have lots of mounting holes in them and come in either steel or aluminum.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #4

Garage
buff - any chance you have some close up pics of the seats? regardless for that price, that is NOT bad at all - are they comfy enough to sit in for extended amounts of time?

wicked - I found the Holcomb brackets reading a thread on AFM or MM, I can't remember which, but when I checked out their website it said for both the aluminum and steel that they are not for street use?

'99 Cobra - #256 of 4055
'88 LX 5.0 - Deceased
Old 06-30-2011, 05:39 PM   #5

MUSTANG 79-04 SEAT BRACKET STEEL - HOLCOMB MOTORSPORTS INC

It does say Not for street use...I cant imagine why a seat bracket would say that? I would suggest giving them a call and ask why its not for street use.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffManRHA View Post
buff - any chance you have some close up pics of the seats? regardless for that price, that is NOT bad at all - are they comfy enough to sit in for extended amounts of time?
I dunno, to me they are pretty hard, I wouldn't wanna drive more than an hour or so honestly. Seriously, you don't need aftermarket brackets, just a couple pieces of 3/4" wide 3/16" thick flat bar to lay across the stock ones. Works fine.

These pix are when I first fit them in, excuse the messy project car.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:44 AM   #7

Dont happen to have any pictures of the brackets you fabbed up do you???
Old 07-01-2011, 03:45 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked03GT View Post
Dont happen to have any pictures of the brackets you fabbed up do you???
Seconded!

'99 Cobra - #256 of 4055
'88 LX 5.0 - Deceased
Old 07-02-2011, 10:36 AM   #9

I'll pull a seat out and get one today.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffhomer View Post
I'll pull a seat out and get one today.
Are they hard in the sense that the seat foam is pretty hard, or that there is not enough seat foam and you can feel the frame of the seat through the padding?

EDIT : thanks for taking a pic btw!

'99 Cobra - #256 of 4055
'88 LX 5.0 - Deceased
Old 07-02-2011, 03:55 PM   #11

Installed some Recaros in my 93

Anyway, picked these up about a month or two ago.

These are aftermarket seats and the guy had them in a volvo for the past 8 years or so. For $400, I couldn't say no. I did some measurements, and the brackets were WAY to wide for a fox.

I could have bought the correct mounting brackets for about $150. **** THAT! I then stripped off the recaros brackets, and did some measurements.

The red dots are distance apart the factory fox body seat brackets mounting points would be. I got a set of seat brackets from a friend who had a spare set of seats paying around, as I didn't want to mess with the cobra's brackets.

$150 or simply $3 at Lowes?

The nut in between is because the bracket needed to be spaced out a little from the actual seat.

Feels great so far. They sit lower than the factory seat, so it may take a little getting use to though.
Corral Elite Member #1

** 89 LX 5.0 ** blower whine, better brakes, and faded paint
Old 07-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #12

Garage
Are Corbeaus the ones that people gripe about? I like those Recaros too though, so many damn options!

I'd love to be able to sell my stock Cobra black leather ('99 so no suede ) front and rear seats and use the money to get a pair of nice seats and rear seat delete. I'm looking for some that are comfortable, but still have adequate side bolsters to minimize side to side movement, and that have harness holes already for future roll bar/harness bar down the road.

'99 Cobra - #256 of 4055
'88 LX 5.0 - Deceased
Old 07-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Are they hard in the sense that the seat foam is pretty hard, or that there is not enough seat foam and you can feel the frame of the seat through the padding?
Hard as in the seat foam is pretty hard. Very firm, right at the edge of what I'm comfortable with.

I realized taking the seats out woulda been a pain with my harnesses and seat bar and all that, so I got a couple pix installed. The viewing angle is from the floor looking up underneath the front of the seat.

The first pic is looking toward the inner side of the seat, against the trans tunnel. You can see the flat bar I laid across, it's tacked in place but it's also bolted to the stock rails (can't see that though).

Second pic is looking toward the outer part of the seat, the side toward the door.

Last pic is outside the seat track, you can see the round allen-head bolt holding the seat to the flat bar on the outside of the stock track. Pretty simple and stout enough for a 10 second car.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:48 PM   #14

Trader Feedback: (7)

Leave it to the old man to be a safety wet blanket. The seat is an integral part of the shoulder harness/seat belt assembly. Manufacturers spend a lot of money engineering the brackets/frames/seats themselves/fasteners to be sure they can take a big impact and stay intact. All that kind of goes out the window if you don't give a lot of thought (and preferably some actual design) to how you mount the seat.

Just sayin' - the best harnesses and cages in the world don't do you much good if the seat comes loose/apart upon impact. You need to actually ENGINEER the mounting system. Welds need to be high quality and with enough surface area that the weak link is the metal itself, and not the weld. All fasteners should be Grade 8 or better. Any steel you add needs to be of equal or greater strength than the factory brackets you're attaching them to.

The tracks on the bottom of the Recaros up above look awfully familiar...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement