1989 SSP with Speed Density - need help converting it back - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 04:20 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (24)

1989 SSP with Speed Density - need help converting it back

Yesterday I picked up an '89 Government SSP. I was suprised to see that it didn't have a meter in the intake tube, but, the car fired right up and for the money I couldn't pass it up. Once I got home I pulled the kick panel and sure enough it has a "DC" speed density computer. The car still has the MAF connector in the engine bay and I'd like to change it back to Mass Air. I assume that someone changed it from Mass Air to SD. The engine has about 140K on it and its smoking a little bit. I have XB3 motor (345Hp rated) in my garage that I'd like to swap but I've read that the SD computers dont adjust so well to mods since their based on load.

Can I swap in a A9L or A9P computer, Mass Air Meter and unplug the vacuum from the BAP and be good to go? or are there other things that need to be done or confirmed before swapping back?

I have a 73mm Pro-M meter that is labeled for 24's and a set of 42lb injectors but I think the injectors would be a bit too much. I tune my other car with the quarterhorse but I'd rather not have to tune this N/A.
'93 Notch: F150 Coyote swap

Last edited by 87coupe50; 06-21-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #2

well. I got it running Mass Air again... ended up buying A9P computer and a stock MAF and Mass air tube. Confirmed the Maf wires going back to the computer and the thermactor pump wires were in the right slots. (according to this Mustang Mass Air Conversion « )Pulled the vaccum tube off the BAP sensor and capped the Vacuum tree. When I fired it up the check engine light was on. Ran the codes and it came up 31 EVP. Went back under the hood and re-connected the EGR connector. She is running like a champ!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (13)

did you get that from virginia?

11 Toyota 5.7 Tundra 4x4
13 Kawasaki ZX14R
Old 08-01-2011, 11:06 PM   #4

yep, you were there when I bought it... LOL How's it goin?

Got it registered, new windshield, passenger door handle, got the A/C working with a compressor I had lying around. Fuel gauge is now working with a swapped out "anti-slosh module", replaced the antenna, cowl grill and hard window trim from the pick N pull. We started the body work on friday.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:43 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (13)

Talking

was wondering if that was you. weird thing is after i sold that one to you then i sold my truck, then relized i didn't have a daily driver. so i bought another notchback. and it almost looks axcatly like the one i sold. its a 4cyl auto notch. i want to put a 5.0 in it. yall getten it done on it nice. i need to bring my new one up to you for some work.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

11 Toyota 5.7 Tundra 4x4
13 Kawasaki ZX14R
Old 08-04-2011, 08:51 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (0)

You'll want to hook-up with the folks at Welcome to the SSP Mustang Page! a wealth of knowledge over there.

'92 SSP (ex-FHP 797) stock - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement