Calling all Foxbody CONVertIBLE Owners - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (13)

Calling all Foxbody CONVertIBLE Owners

Ok decided to tackle the "floppy" rear quarter window issue. I started on the drivers rear side and so far I have the seat out, interior panel out, seat belt removed, and window motor removed. It looks like the window rod at the top is extremely loose. The bottom at the floor is good. I can't seem to figure out how to remove the window assembly or if you can with the top frame still in. Has anyone tackled this?

Barry
90 LX Triple Black Vert, 306, B303, Cobra 1.7 Roller Rockers, GT40 ported iron heads, Cobra intake, shorties, 65mm TB, 73mm C&L, 24lb injectors, Cobra front brakes, Lincoln rear discs, 3.55 gear, sub frame connectors, strut tower brace, Bilsteins and coilovers, Flowmaster Thunderseries
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (3)

remove entire window assembly plate. remove the guides at the top of the window assembly by the felt on the hockey sticks, then you want to move the rod around till the window will slide up and off the guide rod, there are 2 bolts that hold that guide assembly down one on each side unbolt and unit comes out replace guide bushings (5.0resto) grease the rod and reassemble. plastic mount on guide rod may be broken which is causing all the movement in which case you will have to track down a good used one, tried plastiwelding mine but did not hold up. then adjust the guides by the felt and the glass guides on the top assembly think that covers it all
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-21-2011, 11:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcobra88 View Post
remove entire window assembly plate. remove the guides at the top of the window assembly by the felt on the hockey sticks, then you want to move the rod around till the window will slide up and off the guide rod, there are 2 bolts that hold that guide assembly down one on each side unbolt and unit comes out replace guide bushings (5.0resto) grease the rod and reassemble. plastic mount on guide rod may be broken which is causing all the movement in which case you will have to track down a good used one, tried plastiwelding mine but did not hold up. then adjust the guides by the felt and the glass guides on the top assembly think that covers it all
I thought I might have to remove the plate. Can that be done without removing the top frame?

Barry
90 LX Triple Black Vert, 306, B303, Cobra 1.7 Roller Rockers, GT40 ported iron heads, Cobra intake, shorties, 65mm TB, 73mm C&L, 24lb injectors, Cobra front brakes, Lincoln rear discs, 3.55 gear, sub frame connectors, strut tower brace, Bilsteins and coilovers, Flowmaster Thunderseries
Old 03-22-2011, 09:25 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (3)

yep take out all the bolts slides forward and out
Old 03-23-2011, 08:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcobra88 View Post
yep take out all the bolts slides forward and out
I looked at it last night and my plate is bolted and riveted in. There are rivets back behind the top frame and lift cylinder....no way to get to them that I can see.

Barry
Old 03-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (25)

Perhaps this will help --> Mustang Convertible Quarter Window Restoration - LRS Blog - Read Here Shop Here. Otherwise if you haven't already, buy this book ---> 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 Mustang Convertible Top Manual - eBay (item 250643882570 end time Mar-29-11 12:35:08 PDT)
Old 03-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #7

I have read that twice already and its good info, but they did their work with the top frame out. I do have one of those books as well. It has some good info too, but I just decided to put things back together for now. They are not too bad. Decided to wait until I pull the car completely apart.

Barry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement