Bypass neutral safety switch - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 10:22 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (12)

Bypass neutral safety switch

Is it possible to bypass this switch for troubleshooting purposes?
I purchased a car that is not running, and I want to take this switch out of the starting loop.
Thanks
Terry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (11)

yes you can. the safety feature of "not starting in gear" will be circumvented, but i would not be concerned with that. I had two seperate manual BMW's, and neither had to have the clutch engaged to start.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Rom 5:8
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-10-2010, 01:14 PM   #3

I had this done for me on a car when a 5spd swap was done, but how can I bypass it myself.
What is the procedure?
Old 11-10-2010, 11:47 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twbrown44 View Post
Is it possible to bypass this switch for troubleshooting purposes?
I purchased a car that is not running, and I want to take this switch out of the starting loop.
Thanks
Terry
This a manual or auto trans car?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-11-2010, 07:19 AM   #5

Manual
Old 11-11-2010, 08:56 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (2)

Ok,first just wondering what led you to jump out the clutch safety switch? Are you getting 12 v to the small stud on the starter solenoid?
Anyway,all you have to do is make a small jumper and plug it in the switch which is located at the clutch pedal. I think you plug it in to the wires though instead,its been so long since I have had to do that.
I am not responsible for anything that happens as a result of this though.
Good luck with that. I have had mine on my car jumped out forever with no problems,just don't start it in gear.

About to start a new ratrod project.........
Old 11-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGuy29651 View Post
Ok,first just wondering what led you to jump out the clutch safety switch? Are you getting 12 v to the small stud on the starter solenoid?
Anyway,all you have to do is make a small jumper and plug it in the switch which is located at the clutch pedal. I think you plug it in to the wires though instead,its been so long since I have had to do that.
I am not responsible for anything that happens as a result of this though.
Good luck with that. I have had mine on my car jumped out forever with no problems,just don't start it in gear.
I bought a car that is not running. It looks like the owner was trying to find out why he had no spark, the dizzy is out and the clutch pedal is clicking when you push it. I just wanted to bypass the switch to eliminate it for troubleshooting purposes.
I will try jumping it at the pedal switch.
Thanks
Old 11-12-2010, 03:56 PM   #8
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (173)

Take the bypass Wire from an AOD Harness and just plug it in. DONE! or make your own. Little piece of wire with a (female) spade connector on both ends.
I did this on my 92 Daily Driver with a T-5 and I just leave it in Neutral so I don't accidentally start it in gear.
Simple 1 minute install. Hurts nothing!
If you need any further info., PM me

Jon
93 Coupe. DECIDING Calypso Green, Black Interior.
94 GT Convertible 5.0 5 Sp. Red Black/Gray Interior.
95 GT Coupe 5.0 5 Sp. Red, Black Interior.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:12 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (6)

When my clutch safety switch died on my clutch pedal, I simply removed the plug from the switch and put some 5a blade fuses in the plug. They fit perfectly and was kinda convienent.

I was careful to start car with clutch in and in nuetral anyway, but something about having something on the car "broken" and not working like it should made me fix it and start it the way it should
Old 03-04-2011, 06:21 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5 View Post
When my clutch safety switch died on my clutch pedal, I simply removed the plug from the switch and put some 5a blade fuses in the plug. They fit perfectly and was kinda convienent.

I was careful to start car with clutch in and in nuetral anyway, but something about having something on the car "broken" and not working like it should made me fix it and start it the way it should
Which plug did you put the 5A fuse in? My switch had two plugs attached to it. One was black and the other grey.

I've just had this problem with my car. It turned over a few times then nothing. This used to happen all the time but I would just depress the clutch pedal a little more then it would work. This made me want to bypass it. I just put a new solenoid on the starter so i hope it's not this.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #11

Trader Feedback: (2)

Its black I think. It is the one that is on the pigtail not the pedal,if that helps u any

About to start a new ratrod project.........
Old 03-04-2011, 08:17 PM   #12

Trader Feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGuy29651 View Post
Its black I think. It is the one that is on the pigtail not the pedal,if that helps u any
I think i'm just going to try and use a single fuse to connect the two plugs together (grey to white) to complete the circuit. When I checked it on my car at the lot I left it at, it seems that this was really easy to do. But it's way to late and cold to try this out now.

Can someone correct me if i'm wrong here?

I'm not sure what you mean by the one on the pigtail not on the connector.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #13

Trader Feedback: (6)

Just use 2 fuses. Stick one in each plug.

I think only the black one needs to actually be jumped.

Basically removed the two plugs from the clutch pedal switch, and stick the fuses in the wiring side. They do not connect together. The black one is the neutral safety. I forget what the white one is, but not needed to start the car. However it is important...somehow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement