Wiring a Contour Dual Fan setup - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (18)

Arrow Wiring a Contour Dual Fan setup

I'm fixing to install my Contour dual fan setup and I'm wondering what the easiest way to wire it up would be? I know lots of people swear by using a DCC controller but for now I'm only using the car at the dragstrip so I want to either use a switch inside the car or wire it up using an ignition on source.

What amp relay would I need to buy to use this dual fan setup with a toggle or ignition on?

Also to anyone currently using a Contour fan setup how did you mount it to the radiator? Where did you mount your overflow bottle?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2010, 04:58 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (3)

Use 70A. relay or turn on low speed 1st. then kick in high and use a 30A. Low speed is green stripe white. Both fans pull 28A. on my application.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (13)

I am using only the high speed and running it just fine with a 30/40 relay triggered by a temp switch in the water neck. To mount mine, I trimmed the side brackets off with a dremel, then flipped it upside down so that the clip rests on the top edge of the radiator and then I bought two flat brackets at lowes, mounted them to the fans so that they fit into the factory spring clips at the bottom of the core support.
90 LX Triple Black Vert, 306, B303, Cobra 1.7 Roller Rockers, GT40 ported iron heads, Cobra intake, shorties, 65mm TB, 73mm C&L, 24lb injectors, Cobra front brakes, Lincoln rear discs, 3.55 gear, sub frame connectors, strut tower brace, Bilsteins and coilovers, Flowmaster Thunderseries
Old 07-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #4

I was going to use mine on a constant low speed but when I tested it a second ago I could only get the high speed (green/blue) wire to cut the fans on. Why won't the low speed work?

The high speed sounds like a tornado..lol. I was concerned that the high speed would burn up a relay?

Which relay should I go buy at Advance Auto?

I have mine where I use the factory clip on the fan at the top of the radiator and I'm going to use some of the hayden radiator zip ties to mount the bottom to the radiator. I've mounted a few fans with those ties before and they seemed to work well.

Last edited by try this1; 07-19-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #5

I got mine mounted just before dark. I am waiting on the underdrives and 3G alternator to arrive so I can get it back together. I bought two 40amp relays that I want to wire together so they can handle a 80 amp load. Unless ya'll think one 40 amp would be enough with a toggle switch?

And the car waiting to be driven again soon...lol.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
ACJ

Trader Feedback: (10)

DCC Controler.

http://www.dccontrol.com/fancontrol.htm

Our 2sp controller will control all of the two speed Ford cooling fans, including the 3.8L Taurus fan correctly, the low speed circuit is calibrated to turn the fan on low at 185F, but is adjustable over a wide range of temperatures. The high speed circuit turns the fan on high at 10 degrees higher in temperature while disabling the low speed circuit
Old 07-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #7
D.K

I'm using one of the Advance Auto controllers on my Contour/Cougar fan setup. It seems to work okay wired up as is, right out of the box, but the 20 amp fuse it comes with will blow...completely apart.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.K View Post
I'm using one of the Advance Auto controllers on my Contour/Cougar fan setup. It seems to work okay wired up as is, right out of the box, but the 20 amp fuse it comes with will blow...completely apart.
I saw they had a Imperial brand fan controller setup that came with a 40amp relay. It showed that it would work with two fans. I was scared to buy it because I didn't know the reliability of it and also whether it would turn both fans on at once or one at a time. I want both blowing.

Anyone used one of those setups and had luck with a two fan setup?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...7CGRP2061A____
Old 07-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #9
D.K

Quote:
Originally Posted by try this1 View Post
I saw they had a Imperial brand fan controller setup that came with a 40amp relay. It showed that it would work with two fans. I was scared to buy it because I didn't know the reliability of it and also whether it would turn both fans on at once or one at a time. I want both blowing.

Anyone used one of those setups and had luck with a two fan setup?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...7CGRP2061A____
That's the same controller I have. I have the high speed wire hooked to the #1 fan connector from the controller. Both fans come on at the same time. I can't speak much on the controller's reliability, but it works. It may be beneficial to hook up a light so you know everything is working when it should be.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.K View Post
That's the same controller I have. I have the high speed wire hooked to the #1 fan connector from the controller. Both fans come on at the same time. I can't speak much on the controller's reliability, but it works. It may be beneficial to hook up a light so you know everything is working when it should be.
Ok I think I'm going to go back to advance and go ahead and buy one of those controllers. I will put a 40amp fuse in it instead of the 20 and go from there.

When this setup poops out I will just buy a DCC setup.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:10 PM   #11

Trader Feedback: (43)

Quote:
Ok I think I'm going to go back to advance and go ahead and buy one of those controllers. I will put a 40amp fuse in it instead of the 20 and go from there.

When this setup poops out I will just buy a DCC setup.
let us know how it works.

stocking out 11/13
Old 07-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikstang View Post
let us know how it works.
I wired it all up yesterday and got my underdrives on today. I also mounted my jaz catch can today as well. 3G hopefully will show up tomorrow and then I will have some drive time to test out the fan controller.

It came with a 40 amp relay and I put a 40 amp fuse on it as well instead of the factory supplied 25 amp.

I will report back as soon as I get some time on it.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:56 PM   #13

Quote:
I wired it all up yesterday and got my underdrives on today. I also mounted my jaz catch can today as well. 3G hopefully will show up tomorrow and then I will have some drive time to test out the fan controller.

It came with a 40 amp relay and I put a 40 amp fuse on it as well instead of the factory supplied 25 amp.

how did you wire it up? are you able to wire it up where both fans operate seperately, meaning 1 fan on for low speed and both on for high or are both wired to work together on high speed?

stocking out 11/13
Old 07-22-2010, 09:15 PM   #14

Quote:
how did you wire it up? are you able to wire it up where both fans operate seperately, meaning 1 fan on for low speed and both on for high or are both wired to work together on high speed?
I wired both fans onto the #1 fan wire so both will be on high. I will probably experiment with it and wire both them up using both fan wires from the controller later so I can see how that works.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:44 PM   #15

Quote:
I wired both fans onto the #1 fan wire so both will be on high. I will probably experiment with it and wire both them up using both fan wires from the controller later so I can see how that works.
so the controller does have two fan wires...one for high speed and one for low and you just have both fans wired to the high speed wire?

stocking out 11/13
Old 07-23-2010, 05:48 AM   #16

Quote:
so the controller does have two fan wires...one for high speed and one for low and you just have both fans wired to the high speed wire?
The controller has a #1 fan wire and a #2 fan wire. In the instructions it says nothing about the function of them. I just ended up putting both fans on the #1 wire.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #17

Finished it up today after my 3G showed up.

So far the controller is working great. It's factory preset at 160 and it comes on dead at 160 according to my autometer gauge. I might move the setting up to around 180 or so that way I don't have to worry about the thermostat possibly opening and closing every time the fan comes on/off.

Mounted a JAZ recirculating catch can on the factory bracket where the charcoal canister used to be. I mounted the controller right under the msd box and 2 step.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #18

Short video of everything working like it should:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpzR03MoIEQ
Old 07-31-2010, 03:43 PM   #19

Quote:

Quote:
Mounted a JAZ recirculating catch can
where did you purchase the catch can? can you get some better pics showing the mounting points?

thanks

stocking out 11/13

Last edited by kwikstang; 07-31-2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: i found the 40amp fuse....
Old 07-31-2010, 09:47 PM   #20

Trader Feedback: (2)

I have the contour fan set-up on my car and use the $35 controller @ advance auto. It kept blowing the 30 amp fuse so I bought a 40 and it works. If I drive the car for a long period of time the relay gets (30/40amp) stuck in the open position and the fans want to run all the time, even with the car off. I need to run a bigger relay.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.MUSSIN View Post
I have the contour fan set-up on my car and use the $35 controller @ advance auto. It kept blowing the 30 amp fuse so I bought a 40 and it works. If I drive the car for a long period of time the relay gets (30/40amp) stuck in the open position and the fans want to run all the time, even with the car off. I need to run a bigger relay.
whats the next size relay you gonna try? maybe its the relay itself...it's made in china. i'm going to install one made in the usa.

stocking out 11/13
Old 08-06-2010, 11:59 PM   #22

any updates running the advance controller? is it still holding up? been running one for a week now no problems yet.

stocking out 11/13
Old 08-07-2010, 12:04 AM   #23

Trader Feedback: (30)

How does this fan compare to the Taurus fan (CFM?).. I really had to trim the taurus fan a TON to get it to fit (SN95 with fox body brackets FTL)... Is this fan really thick? Sorry to hijack the thread!
2008 Harley Davidson VRSCDX Night Rod
Old 08-07-2010, 12:42 AM   #24

Quote:
any updates running the advance controller? is it still holding up? been running one for a week now no problems yet.
Still working great. Haven't had any problems at all out of it. Matter of fact I just got back from running the car at the track tonight. Fans and controller are doing their jobs nicely.....
Old 08-07-2010, 12:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo308 View Post
How does this fan compare to the Taurus fan (CFM?).. I really had to trim the taurus fan a TON to get it to fit (SN95 with fox body brackets FTL)... Is this fan really thick? Sorry to hijack the thread!
I don't have a clue as to cfm of the fans but I do know that when they are on there is a TON of air coming out the back of my cowl hood....

The contour fan is about the thinnest of all the popular fans that fit a stang. Lots of people that run superchargers use them because of the limited space.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #26

Trader Feedback: (30)

Quote:
I don't have a clue as to cfm of the fans but I do know that when they are on there is a TON of air coming out the back of my cowl hood....

The contour fan is about the thinnest of all the popular fans that fit a stang. Lots of people that run superchargers use them because of the limited space.

What year and motor combo do you use? I may have to make a run to the Junk yard to try it out!
2008 Harley Davidson VRSCDX Night Rod
Old 08-07-2010, 05:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo308 View Post
What year and motor combo do you use? I may have to make a run to the Junk yard to try it out!
I have a 92 model 302 in my car(TF TW's, TF cam, victor jr, holley 650dp, WC T5, ..etc..Runs 8.1@91mph on motor). You can see the ton of clearance between the water pump and fan in the pictures I posted above.

You will want a Ford Contour fan from years ranging 1995-2000 that came with a V6. I have also found that there are several 4 banger contours of the same years that came with the same fan despite what some say on here. The local junkyard I went to had 5 four bangers and 3 of them had the dual fan setup. They only had 3 V6 contours and all but one had already been stripped of the fan.

They charged me $26.50 for each fan. A single fan setup they only charge $15 for but since it had two fans they charged me more...

I have another for sale and by the time I pay the $25-30 for ups ground shipping I won't make squat with the listing price of $80 shipped. The $20 profit I would make hardly pays for the gas to make it to the junkyard that's 25 miles one way from my house..lol.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #28

Here are some thickness pics:

By the looks of it around 3 1/4" at the motors and roughly 3 1/2" at the thickest point where the pigtail plugs into the motors.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:03 PM   #29

what is that resistor/relay or whatever it is in the upper lefthand corner used for?

stocking out 11/13
Old 08-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #30

Quote:
what is that resistor/relay or whatever it is in the upper lefthand corner used for?
Are you talking about the factory contour temp probe?
Old 08-08-2010, 12:15 AM   #31

Quote:
Are you talking about the factory contour temp probe?
yes...how does it work and did you use it?

stocking out 11/13
Old 08-08-2010, 08:23 AM   #32

Quote:
yes...how does it work and did you use it?
Many people have tried to get that to work correctly and can't. So I didn't even bother with it.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #33

Trader Feedback: (26)

I installed mine with a 40 amp relay, and toggle switch. Works great. Using stock alternator but other than lights I'm not running anything. Volts gauge does not even move when I turn them on. Fans pull air like crazy.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:56 PM   #34

Trader Feedback: (23)

can this be hard wired to a switch?

i have a pusher fan thats hard wired to a switch and turn the fan on as i need. i want to put a puller style fan but just want to hard wire it like my pusher, is it fin to do with thei or a mark 8 fan?
FORD STROKERS #1 in customer service and customer satisfaction!
Old 08-13-2010, 09:46 PM   #35

Trader Feedback: (168)

Quote:
DING DING DING - Common misconception. That is a factory resistor used for factory 2 speed operation, and you will need to use that to get 2 speed operation with a 2 speed controller. If you are trying to use one fan on and one off for low, half your airflow will be entering from the engine bay thru the no-running fan, not thru the radiator like you want.

Factory contour diagram:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement