TANK FUEL LEVEL SENDING UNIT (was "Fuel Gauge wont work..... Anyone got an answer") - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2002, 11:15 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Fuel gauge problems!!

The fuel gauge in my '89 coupe just doesnt fuction right. The needle stays tacked to the top showing I have a full tank even though I may only have a 1/4 tank. It used to fall back down showing the correct fuel level once the amount was at or below a 1/8 of a tank but it didnt do that today and I ended up running out of gas on the interstate because of it. Once again the gauge was showing a full tank of gas when I ran out.

From what I have heard there can only be three possibilities that could cause this. The fuel level sender in the fuel tank. The gauge itself or the slosh module located behind the gauge. Does anyone have any experience with this?

thanks

Moderator Edit: Replies 1 through 10 are an older thread merged to the current one.

Last edited by HELMUT RONER; 11-15-2005 at 01:04 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2002, 12:07 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (3)

mine does something very simular, it sits at the top till it is about a half left, then goes down to show a quarter is missing, then goes back up, sometimes when i get in after it has set off for a while it will show the correct but then moves back up. the stock gauges are off a little bit any way so that might be what you were thinking about. chances are its your sending unit, i am positive that is what mine is, and it drives me nuts, i do not have the extra $ to spend on one right now, so i am having to watch my milage and hope that i get close to the same everytime. if you get one when you drop your tank, you will be able to find out if it is the float also or not.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-25-2002, 12:19 PM   #3

i have the exact same problem... bought a new sending unit... havnt installed it yet though. i hope it solves the problem.
Old 04-25-2002, 12:37 PM   #4

I have the same problem. Please post your fix if you find one. Thanks!
1987 Mustang GT - 59000 miles.
Cobra Upper/Lower Intake
65mm TB
Underdrive pullies
1 5/8 inch unequal length headers
Off Road H-Pipe
2 Chamber Flowmasters
3.73 gears
Bumped timing
Removed air silencer
FMS 9mm wires
16" Chrome pony rims
Old 04-25-2002, 12:41 PM   #5

I have the same problem with mine and everyone I asked says its the sending unit. Bad Karma, how much was yours and where did you buy it from?
Old 04-25-2002, 12:56 PM   #6

I belive it is a ford only product and it is pretty expencive... usualy are with ford only products
Old 04-25-2002, 12:57 PM   #7

Sounds like either your sending unit is bad, or the float is stuck in your tank... Good lick on the fix..
Old 04-25-2002, 01:08 PM   #8

Re: Fuel gauge problems!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Horspwr

From what I have heard there can only be three possibilities that could cause this. The fuel level sender in the fuel tank. The gauge itself or the slosh module located behind the gauge. Does anyone have any experience with this?

thanks
If it was the slosh module the gauge would behave erratically. Typically not the gauge since they're more robust than a fuel level sender. I've replaced quite a few fuel level sending units that did the same as you described. They loose their linearity and don't come back down until about 1/8 tank.
Old 04-25-2002, 02:14 PM   #9

does anyone know what other ford/mercury models might have the same sending unit as the mustang???

Last edited by mudtang89; 04-25-2002 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-25-2002, 05:00 PM   #10

A buddy of mine had the same problem in his "88. replaced the sending unit and it was fixed. I had the opposite problem, mine stayed on empty. I replaced the sending unit 1st but that wasn't it. It was the little "amplifier" behind the gage. You can buy a new sending unit for about $67.00 on fordpartsonline.com. The part # for my 1991 (I think they are all the same 87-93) was E7ZZ-9275-A

Last edited by HELMUT RONER; 11-15-2005 at 12:58 AM. Reason: edited out sale offer
Old 07-01-2002, 10:36 PM   #11

Question TANK FUEL LEVEL SENDING UNIT (was "Fuel Gauge wont work..... Anyone got an answer")

I have a 90 lx coupe and I can’t get the gas gauge too work. I tried a new gage in the cluster and checked the sending unit in the tank with no luck. What do I need to do now? Or can I buy a after market gauge or what

Darryl

Moderator edit: Link to other thread telling how to check ohms in the sending unit.

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=256004

Last edited by HELMUT RONER; 11-03-2005 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-05-2002, 03:35 PM   #12

Trader Feedback: (2)

How did you check the sending unit in the tank??? 9 times out of 10 it is the sending unit... I took mine apart and all there is is about 12 very very thin strips of metal on a plastic computer board... as the float goes up and down it rakes accross these tiny wires triggering the gauge to go up and down.... these tiny wires were all worn off when I took it out to replace it. I wish you could just buy that tiny little circuit board.. thats the only thing that usually goes out on the sending unit unless your float has a hole in it.....
Full exhaust, and 3:55 gears, Homebrew AOD,
Best E.T to date 14.02 @ 98.7
Unofficial Baumann Spokesperson
Old 07-05-2002, 03:48 PM   #13

My guess is the sending unit.

I have one that im *pretty sure i one be using...
87GT, T-tops, 72K, 302cu, GT-40P heads, EH'd Cobra upper, Fox-lake Stage 3 lower, 24#rs, 70mm PRO-M MAF, 65mm TB, Scorpion 1.6" RR, F-303 cam, GT-40P headers, Dr. Gas X, Spintech sportsmans, Tremec 3550, Spec 1 clutch, 3.90 gears, MAF/A9L, 16x8 ROH Snyper
HP-266.5 TQ-286
87GT.com-->Possessor of the Corral's best pic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottus
All hail Tiresmoke.....
Old 07-05-2002, 03:49 PM   #14

When the fuel guage stopped working on my Ranger it turned out to be the lil float thingy in the fuel tank. It had gotten a hole in it and filled up with fuel causing it not to work. I was told it was a pretty common problem for cars/trucks after they get some age on them . My Ranger is a 90 model also.
Old 07-05-2002, 03:58 PM   #15

Where did you end up picking a sending unit, because I have the same problem in my 87 GT.
140 Amp Alternator
Mods Coming...
Edelbrock RPM ll, Twisted Wedge Heads, Cam?, Pistons?, Rods?, Eagle Crank,Rockers?, MAF Conversion,Pro-Flow MAF, BBK Cold Air, Throttle Body...
Old 07-05-2002, 05:09 PM   #16

Trader Feedback: (2)

I got mine from Ford for like $95 I think... It came with both the sending unit and float assembly... Just undo the ring that holds the unit in place. replace the unit and replace the fuel tank O-ring thats included and just plug it in... it is truly a swap out, swap in thing... the hardest part is dropping the tank...
Full exhaust, and 3:55 gears, Homebrew AOD,
Best E.T to date 14.02 @ 98.7
Unofficial Baumann Spokesperson

Last edited by MYLITTLEHO; 07-05-2002 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:24 PM   #17

Trader Feedback: (22)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYLITTLEHO
How did you check the sending unit in the tank??? 9 times out of 10 it is the sending unit... I took mine apart and all there is is about 12 very very thin strips of metal on a plastic computer board... as the float goes up and down it rakes accross these tiny wires triggering the gauge to go up and down.... these tiny wires were all worn off when I took it out to replace it. I wish you could just buy that tiny little circuit board.. thats the only thing that usually goes out on the sending unit unless your float has a hole in it.....

Resurrecting this old thread. Since I have my tank down and out. My fuel level gauge was always stuck up until the fuel was down to about 2 or 3 gallons. When I removed the fuel level sender from the tank it was a bit stiff to move. I moved the float up and down a few times lightly and it would stick a lot. Now that it's out it's not sticking anymore. I took mine apart and those strips you described in your post are worn away. I have to replace it no matter what. Sites like www.partsamerica.com and www.autozone.com no longer list them. I think the replacements ARE in their parts look-up, but not correctly listed by car so I can't crossreference any aftermarket part numbers. I found a new old stock Ford one online and have to wait for it to get here.
Couldn't figure out the lighting with my 3.2MP Sony so these two are the best pics I could come up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE
Do you want to get the bolt out, or do you want to worry about getting your skirt dirty?

Last edited by HELMUT RONER; 02-09-2011 at 10:41 PM. Reason: updated links to images
Old 10-28-2005, 01:01 AM   #18

I went through this on my old 90'. For me it turned out to be the replaceble printed circuit board that slides into the back of the instrument cluster. I believe it is a voltage regulator for the guages. I ended up replacing my sending unit first unfortunatly. I bought both parts from the local Ford parts house. Good luck, Dave.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowhatch
I went through this on my old 90'. For me it turned out to be the replaceble printed circuit board that slides into the back of the instrument cluster. I believe it is a voltage regulator for the guages. I ended up replacing my sending unit first unfortunatly. I bought both parts from the local Ford parts house. Good luck, Dave.
What you are referring to is called an anti-slosh module

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE
Do you want to get the bolt out, or do you want to worry about getting your skirt dirty?
Old 10-29-2005, 11:29 PM   #20

I also have a 90 notch and the guage isnt working?? The needle is always buried like its out of fuel, so does the fuel pump assembly have to come out to replace the sending unit???? Or is there another assembly on the top of the tank that has to come out??
Old 10-29-2005, 11:38 PM   #21

Trader Feedback: (4)

if its buried it sounds like the float is filled up, if its over full its the sending unit
Old 10-29-2005, 11:50 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satin03Cobra
I also have a 90 notch and the guage isnt working?? The needle is always buried like its out of fuel, so does the fuel pump assembly have to come out to replace the sending unit???? Or is there another assembly on the top of the tank that has to come out??

The hole in the center is where the fuel level sending unit goes. The hole on the right is where the fuel pump goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE

Last edited by HELMUT RONER; 02-09-2011 at 11:02 PM. Reason: updated image links
Old 11-03-2005, 12:59 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE

Last edited by HELMUT RONER; 02-09-2011 at 11:05 PM. Reason: updated image links
Old 11-03-2005, 04:19 AM   #24

Trader Feedback: (-1)

ouch.....i need a new sending unit for for 95 bucks ill just continue waiting for those last 2-3 gallons for it to drop down
Old 11-03-2005, 09:34 AM   #25

Finally!

This thread has come-up again and has some great info. I replaced my sending unit 2 years ago w/ an Advance auto unit and it still didn't work, didn't want to drop the tank again. Pulled the anti-slosh module and cleaned it - didn't look fried. How do you remove that red guage-thing Helmut? Where do you get one? Can you spray some electrical lube on it? Yours looks fried! My needle is stuck on the near-empty position all the time. Guess Ford parts will be required on this one. Any wiring to check near the tank. Sick of watching the trip meter all the time!
Old 11-03-2005, 12:56 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddylu
How do you remove that red guage-thing Helmut?
That red gauge thing is the fuel level sending unit after taking it apart. In this picture you see a single tab to the right side of the middle section. You push that clip to open the housing. One the left those two tabs just unhook after you've released the clip to expose the board pictured above. I never took the board out of my old one. Now that the new one is in the tank I haven't messed with the old one anymore.

Quote:
Can you spray some electrical lube on it? Yours looks fried! My needle is stuck on the near-empty position all the time. Guess Ford parts will be required on this one. Any wiring to check near the tank. Sick of watching the trip meter all the time!
I'm inclined to believe that the fuel would wash the electrical grease off of the board since this is in the tank. I wouldn't do it.

Quote:
I replaced my sending unit 2 years ago w/ an Advance auto unit
Do you recall their part number? Don't know when they stopped doing so, but doing the parts search for this on their website by make, model, and year doesn't bring it up anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE

Last edited by HELMUT RONER; 02-09-2011 at 11:10 PM. Reason: updated image link
Old 11-03-2005, 01:24 PM   #27

No part number

it was 2 years ago. Ok, I see where it is. Is a new o-ring included with the unit? Thanks for the visual aids!!!
Old 11-03-2005, 01:29 PM   #28

No. At least not with mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE
Old 11-03-2005, 01:49 PM   #29

OEMfordparts.com

I entered this number into their website, but nothing appeared. Guess I'll have to get it thru the "our parts are gold" Ford dealership.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS1KLR
ouch.....i need a new sending unit for for 95 bucks ill just continue waiting for those last 2-3 gallons for it to drop down
Thats exactly what I am doing now before and after having installed a brand New fuel sending unit.I think my problem may be the Anti-slash Module.Maybe it just needs to be cleaned??Who knows?? Im not even sure where it is or what it loooks like??I assume its under the dash somewhere's.Sure wish I could finally fix this problem that I have had for over 6 years freakin years now.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:19 PM   #31

Anti-slosh

is behind the RH side of the back of the instrument panel. You have to take the umpteen screws out the panel, pull it back and the thing has flat pins that hold it in. Everytime I pull a dash, some brittle plastic item cracks I took mine out, cleaned the pins, but no dice. Guess it's the sending unit. I've ruled-out the guage and someone posted that the guages are not avail. anymore. Dropping the tank is the easiest part. Don't forget to use some motor oil on the filler neck when reinstalling into the tank.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:29 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddylu
is behind the RH side of the back of the instrument panel. You have to take the umpteen screws out the panel, pull it back and the thing has flat pins that hold it in. Everytime I pull a dash, some brittle plastic item cracks I took mine out, cleaned the pins, but no dice. Guess it's the sending unit. I've ruled-out the guage and someone posted that the guages are not avail. anymore. Dropping the tank is the easiest part. Don't forget to use some motor oil on the filler neck when reinstalling into the tank.
Doesn't seem like fun,I may have to take my front seat to fit under there. I hope in your case its just the fuel sending unit but in my case its the Gauge or the Anti-Slosh Module.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:56 PM   #33

No, don't remove seat

You just remove the instrument panels screws and pull it back - don't remove the dash panel itself. Mine doesn't have a tilt steering wheel, so I was having fun. You pull it back (can't go far unless you undo speedo cable and reach you hand back there. It really isn't bad - you can see it if you pull the inst. panel out and go outside of the car and look thru the windshield. Sorry for saying "dash", been a long day here after spending a week in a Ford truck plant for 11 hours a day. I need to pull my tank and install Hawk pads, but could care less about working on the car this week!

Last edited by Buddylu; 11-03-2005 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:17 PM   #34

Trader Feedback: (26)

www.cjponyparts.com part # FSU12 $79.95 This is where I got mine from, just make sure you check the float arm adjustment before you put the tank back in your car, mine was hitting on the tank causing a false level, you may have to bend it a little to get the full arm swing.

http://www.parts123.com/PartFrame.as...=CJ_Pony_Parts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLAiQkqcr2w
Old 11-04-2005, 02:56 AM   #35

Helmut, thanks for the pics. Very helpful stuff since I've never dropped a tank before. My gauge stays at full until there's about 1/8 left.
2008 Buell XB12R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement