DIY Oil Accumulator? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 01:38 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (22)

DIY Oil Accumulator?

I was looking at oil accumulators and I found the 1.5qt Moroso gravity fed accumulator part# 23930. I get to looking at the design and the install notes. I have a remote oil filter now and it just seems like this accumulator is really just another form of a catch can if you will and the oil is just gravity fed into the motor when the psi drops.

I thought well hell I could get an empty fire extinguisher bottle add some fittings and make the same damn thing...am I wrong some where?

If I'm not mistaken the pump will pressurize the oil so there would no need for a gauge or nozzle at the top? The nozzle at the top seems to be just for blowing oil out during oil changes. Hell I don't do that now nor have I ever.

www.cleanfeetpetcleanup.com
www.omahapetwasteremoval.blogspot.com

Last edited by goatnipples2002; 04-08-2010 at 01:47 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (7)

A gravity feed accumulator won't do much of anything to help with oil pressure drops. You need something that will store under pressure --- accusump was what I used in the race car. http://treperformance.com/c-62634-oi...umulators.html
Old 04-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (4)

You can not compress a liquid,so a true accumulator must have some sort of bladder(or other mechanical devise) to maintain the pressure.If you do not have this,the accumulator would pressurize,and then as soon as the first drop of oil leaves the accumulator it would loose all of its pressure.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #4

X2 - exactly how an accusump is set up - with a bladder. You simply close the valve before shutting the engine off - and you've got an 'accumulation' of oil stored under engine oil pressure. Open the valve before starting - and the engine starts with oil pressure and of course, in the event of a loss of oil pressure from the pump, the accumulator will cover you - for a short period of time.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (22)

So you guys are saying Moroso has it wrong? I am not looking at this for prelube, but for extra capacity and in case there is a psi drop.

This is what Moroso designed (710-23930 jegs part#, 23930 summit part#)
http://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/23930/10002/-1

www.cleanfeetpetcleanup.com
www.omahapetwasteremoval.blogspot.com

Last edited by goatnipples2002; 04-08-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #6

I was responding to your 'gravity fed' comment in the original post. I didn't bother to look up the part number. Now that you've provided a link -- #23900 is similar to the Accusump unit I mentioned. It's pressurized. Can't imagine the gravity fed unit doing much of anything helpful -- which is perhaps why they suggest it only for 'light duty' applications. Like - your lawn mower.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #7

Trader Feedback: (4)

To be honest I do not know how that would work if it does not have a bladder.If it was mounted 20 ft above the car it might build enough pressure,but mounted inside the car I don't see it generating more than a few psi.It appears to be nothing more than an oil reservoir that could restore another 1.5 quarts of oil to your system.It will not be anywhere near operating pressure for more than a fraction of a second.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #8

X2 - it can't help 'restore' oil pressure as it will essentially be AT oil pressure all the time - when system pressure drops, the pressure in the gravity feed tank will drop too. Has to have a bladder to function as a backstop to pressure loss. One of them does; the other is essentially a storage tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement