turn key to on then reverse lights stay on - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (15)

turn key to on then reverse lights stay on

i have an 87 mustang. gt40p engine with a c6 transmission. when i swapped engines i took out the tranny and engine together. when i put back in and turn key to on position the reverse lights come on and stay on. my engine will also not crank over anymore since i rebuild it. i started one time and it will not crank anymore. does the reverse lights have any affect on my engine not cranking up? prior to removal the reverse lights never worked until i swapped engines.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (35)

The reverse light and NSS share a harness by the transmission, since both are not working I would be willing to bet you will find your problem there.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-03-2010, 12:44 AM   #3

so this would cause a crank and no start issue too? where do i need to start looking? i can move the shifter without the keys and can start the car in any position. where are these components located?
Old 04-03-2010, 06:36 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (35)

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorpluto View Post
so this would cause a crank and no start issue too? where do i need to start looking? i can move the shifter without the keys and can start the car in any position. where are these components located?
Above you said it would not crank, now your saying it will crank and not start. Which one is it?
The NSS will keep the car from cranking.
Was the car automatic or stick from the factory?
The tranny harness will be a 4 wire harness coming out of the tranny tunnel, 2 will run to a plug that plugs into the side of the transmission. The plug controls the reverse lights, so when those two wires are touching the reverse lights will come on, the other two wires you have two options depending on manual/auto from the factory. On the manual cars the other two wires will just for a little loop because the tranny cannot sense if its in neutral or not, if its an auto harness the other two wires will have a plug that plugs into the side of the automatic that will basically connect the two if the car is in neutral/park to keep you from starting the car in gear. The NSS circuit does not stop there, it actually runs under the dash to where the clutch pedal is and hooks to the clutch pedal on manual cars or is jumped on auto cars.

You need to crawl under the car and check out this harness, even snap a pic of how you have it wires if possible, also need to know if the car was auto/manual from the factory.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:20 AM   #5

car is an auto and came factory like this. bout to get out the bed and look. and the car wont start. will crank but not start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement