How to identify a Wide Ratio AOD? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2001, 08:44 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (2)

How to identify a Wide Ratio AOD????

A friend of mine has a Lincoln LSC, I have heard some of them came with the Wide Ratio AOD's what distinguishing marks are there to identify his as being a wide ratio or normal AOD?

By the way he just installed 3.73's and went from 14.99 to 14.50!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Scott
Full exhaust, and 3:55 gears, Homebrew AOD,
Best E.T to date 14.02 @ 98.7
Unofficial Baumann Spokesperson
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2001, 10:36 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (1)

Not until 93 did they put a Wide ratio gear set in a Lincon. And then it was be hind a 4.6 DOHC motor. To my knowledge, Ford (or any division of) never put a the wide ratio in the AOD.
1989 LX 5.0 - AFR 165 heads, FTI cam, ported Edelbrock Performer, 70mm TB, Tweecer R/T, 306 w stock crank/rods and Ross pistons, MAC 1 5/8 long tubes, Lentech Strip Terminator Lockup and 3800 stall, 3.55 gears, Zex 125 shot

Running on E85
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-28-2001, 11:02 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (0)

I beleive you can tell if its a wide ratio unit by a large "W" stamped on the tailshaft. Isnt this rite guys?
Old 11-28-2001, 11:11 PM   #4

Yep, the Large W does indicate that it has the wide ratio gear set. But you will only find it stamped on the 4R70W which will not bolt up to a 5.0
1989 LX 5.0 - AFR 165 heads, FTI cam, ported Edelbrock Performer, 70mm TB, Tweecer R/T, 306 w stock crank/rods and Ross pistons, MAC 1 5/8 long tubes, Lentech Strip Terminator Lockup and 3800 stall, 3.55 gears, Zex 125 shot

Running on E85
Old 11-29-2001, 01:38 AM   #5

This is a quote from the Baumann Engineering Web site:

" Ford's AOD-E and 4R70W transmissions are undoubtedly the best choice for a street performance small-block transmission. Affording all of the advantages of an old AOD transmission, plus increased strength, greater reliability and (for the first time) complete electronic control of all transmission functions. This transmission completely replaced the old AOD in 1994 (when the 3.8/5.0L case version was introduced) and is now becoming readily available on the used market. "

Actually, I think i had one in my old 96 F150 that i traded a few months ago. It had a 5.0 in it.
Old 11-29-2001, 09:53 AM   #6

All the parts that offer increased strength and reliablity can be built into an AOD. Mine for instance has the 2" OD band, Mechanical Diode, and the Wide ratio gear set as well as added clutches in the needed places. If you go with a AOD-E or 4R70W in a earlier model car, you will need the Baumann shift controller to handle the shifting.

What transmission do you think you had in your truck? It could have been the E4OD with a 2.71 1st gear.
Old 11-29-2001, 12:02 PM   #7

you know, im not 100% percent sure, but i remember measuring the pan to find out and it seems like it was the shorter 14 inch pan which made it a 4r70w.....that seems rite anyway....i mite still have the old pan gasket laying around from where i changed the fluid, if i can find it ill let you know for sure....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement