EFI to carb conversion - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 03:59 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

EFI to carb conversion

what would i need to go from EFI to carb?

other than a carb obviously, i mean all the other little things

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost331 View Post
Bcam or Bscammed.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2010, 08:14 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (2)

You are probably going to get told to do a search b/c you should know by now that this thread has been beat to death ,but I will try and help you out because I am doing the same thing in the garage now.First off you need an intake,I bought an Edelbrock performer RPM(used off of Corral),A carb,or course.I bought a Quickfuel 650.You need to sump the tank or buy a sumped tank or do the pickup on your stock tank.I sumped mine,not real sure how reliable those pickups are.you will need a new Distributor,I got an MSD from Summit,ignition box,external fuel pump,and some new fuel lines,Summit sells a package deal for about $250,I think.I just bought a smaller fuel filter to go with mine though.
I am sure that there is something I am forgetting,but I went all out with mine and rebuilt the motor,new heads and all.I am running fuel lines now and getting ready to do the wiring.Everything is pretty simple and straight foward,I am gonig to need a little wiring but other than that,it should be good to go.
if you have any questions I will try to help out as much as I can,but there are quite a few other guys on here that are good with carbs and can add to somethingsd that I have said.

About to start a new ratrod project.........
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-13-2010, 05:55 PM   #3

not to mention he already had a 3page thread about this
Old 03-16-2010, 01:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow87GT View Post
not to mention he already had a 3page thread about this
and you guys turned it into a 3 page argument on which is better

Quote:
Bcam or Bscammed.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:14 PM   #5

Why is converting from EFI to Carb an advantage? I am by no means an expert, but I am asking because I bought my 1991 LX Mustang last spring that had been converted and I wished it weren't. It is much more "cold natured" on those fall mornings
Peace
Old 03-16-2010, 08:17 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (74)

Quote:
Originally Posted by createaneutron View Post
Why is converting from EFI to Carb an advantage? I am by no means an expert, but I am asking because I bought my 1991 LX Mustang last spring that had been converted and I wished it weren't. It is much more "cold natured" on those fall mornings
Peace
There advantages and disadvantages.Iike carbs for race cars and efi for street cars.some older guys like carbs because they know how to tune one and can't turn a laptop on. A carb is also cheaper to upgrade than efi. As far as horsepower they are pretty equal if both are tuned right.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:20 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (1)

I am just going to touch on something MustangGuy said as he pretty much covered it all pretty well. I am currently running a carbed 351 in my '87 and for the fuel pump/pickup what I did was pull the stock in tank pump out and replace it with a piece of fuel line. That way you are still reaching the bottom of the tank with your pickup and you don't have to sump your tank if you don't want to. Just be sure to take the strainer off the pump and attach it to the end of your fuel line. I was using a mechanical fuel pump but am about to swap over to a electric inline one. If you have any more questions feel free to ask and I will try and help out best I can from my experience playing with mine.

As far as to why I went carbed. Simple it has a lot cleaner look and less things to go bad imho. Yea you can wire tuck a EFI setup but you still have a bunch of sensors and what not that can go bad. My carb setup the only wiring I have (that I can remember off hand) is for my distributor and igniton.

Proudly supporting gay marriage as long as both chicks are hot.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:59 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87blacklx View Post
I am just going to touch on something MustangGuy said as he pretty much covered it all pretty well. I am currently running a carbed 351 in my '87 and for the fuel pump/pickup what I did was pull the stock in tank pump out and replace it with a piece of fuel line. That way you are still reaching the bottom of the tank with your pickup and you don't have to sump your tank if you don't want to. Just be sure to take the strainer off the pump and attach it to the end of your fuel line. I was using a mechanical fuel pump but am about to swap over to a electric inline one. If you have any more questions feel free to ask and I will try and help out best I can from my experience playing with mine.

As far as to why I went carbed. Simple it has a lot cleaner look and less things to go bad imho. Yea you can wire tuck a EFI setup but you still have a bunch of sensors and what not that can go bad. My carb setup the only wiring I have (that I can remember off hand) is for my distributor and igniton.
Pretty much what I sent to him in a PM. MustangGuy has it all but there are things on his list that aren't required.

Sump isn't required
Ignition box isn't required (depending on dizzy)
And the factory lines will work until you get up there in HP
Old 03-17-2010, 01:18 AM   #9

ok. thanks guys! these were the answers i was looking for

Quote:
Bcam or Bscammed.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:20 AM   #10

Trader Feedback: (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsstnotch View Post
Pretty much what I sent to him in a PM. MustangGuy has it all but there are things on his list that aren't required.

Sump isn't required
Ignition box isn't required (depending on dizzy)
And the factory lines will work until you get up there in HP

you SHOULD have a sump as almost all aftermarket external pumps dont like pulling fuel, they like pushing it.

ignition box SHOULD be used if you are building a higher performance than stock motor, it will like a better spark

the fuel lines SHOULD be replaced, as carbs like low pressure and high volume, which is not what the factory efi lines were designed for.

bottom line is you can 1/2 assed your way around the car, and cut corners to get it done cheaper, but its much easier to use your whole ass the first time, and no go chasing problems because you didnt do things right the first time.

if its worth doing, its worth doing right
Old 03-17-2010, 01:57 AM   #11

Trader Feedback: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347 LX View Post
you SHOULD have a sump as almost all aftermarket external pumps dont like pulling fuel, they like pushing it.

ignition box SHOULD be used if you are building a higher performance than stock motor, it will like a better spark

the fuel lines SHOULD be replaced, as carbs like low pressure and high volume, which is not what the factory efi lines were designed for.

bottom line is you can 1/2 assed your way around the car, and cut corners to get it done cheaper, but its much easier to use your whole ass the first time, and no go chasing problems because you didnt do things right the first time.

if its worth doing, its worth doing right
So all you're saying is you SHOULD spend $1000 to change a bunch of parts becuase OVERKILL is necessary... Pass.

Just throwing a sump on a tank will work like garbage... no baffles etc. Can't go overkill on everything unless you have REALLY deep pockets becuase face it... there is almost ALWAYS a better part.

Stock lines, aftermarket RTR dizzy and an unsumped pan with a good external pump will be just fine in MOST applications. Especially for a street/strip car. To spend $350+ on a properly sumped tank for a street car is just a waste of $350. Another $300 on lines and fittings, $200 on pump and reg, and $500+ on dizzy and box.

My last coupe ran high 11's without all that junk. With built e7's, 130,000 mile bottom end, TFS1 cam, hurricane intake and holley carb. i drove the car daily for 2 years and never had a single problem with anything aside from a bad balancer and a grinding 2nd gear. Not bad for an old beat up street car.

Now if you are building a drag car with a big stroker 351 base that you plan to push over 500hp.. ya, then that stuff doesn't become overkill.

My current car is getting a 357w... guess to "wholeass" it I'd have to do an all aluminum 460w with a dry sump oiling system, Complete fuel system, etc etc etc $100k later. lol

You ARE right though. To go all in and build the fuel system to handle anything you MIGHT throw at the car in teh future, a good sumped pan, an ignition box, and aftermarket lines would be necessary. But to the OP wanting to swap EFI to carb with a holley blue pump.... he's either within the limits of the stock lines, ignition, and tank... or his Blue pump is going to be too small anyways.

Cheers
Old 03-25-2010, 12:47 PM   #12

fsstnotch what dizzy and pump did you use?

could you give me some more details on the motor in your car?

thanks for all the help so far guys

Quote:
Bcam or Bscammed.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:24 PM   #13

Definitely,I am still learning alot myself.When I first started my project,I had conidered the pick up and it is definitely cheaper to go that route.I just didnt want any future problems and I had taken advice from several people who told me to sump my tank,so I did.As far as running an ignition box.I did it b/c I will step up to a bigger motor down the road and I wanted all the good stuff now,I decided to spend my money now instead of later.The car is yours and you definitely make your own decision as I have told you,I am still learning here.Most of the people that are posting know a whole more than I do,just take the advice and go with what you can afford and get what you want out of your car.
The choice is yours at the end of the day.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:06 PM   #14

Trader Feedback: (12)

what about a throttle cable will the v8 efi cable work attached to a bracket it is kind of long.?
Old 03-25-2010, 07:53 PM   #15

I bought a Lokar duo pack from Summit but,i think you can use a throttel cable from an 85.May be cheaper,my set up was $70 and came with a cable and a bracket.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:56 PM   #16

Trader Feedback: (45)

Re: EFI to carb conversion

You want the shorter cable from an 85gt works perfect with the aed bracket should only be 30 new at advance auto
Old 03-31-2010, 03:47 AM   #17

so what should i use for a fuel pump? recommendations?

Quote:
Bcam or Bscammed.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1988montecarloss View Post
so what should i use for a fuel pump? recommendations?
i kinda want to use a mechanical one

thanks

Quote:
Bcam or Bscammed.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy911 View Post
You want the shorter cable from an 85gt works perfect with the aed bracket should only be 30 new at advance auto
does the cable come with the aed bracket? or do i need to get that too?

Quote:
Bcam or Bscammed.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #20

Trader Feedback: (23)

I used a holley blue on my old ride with a 351W. I added hose to the stock pick up where the efi pump was.

I couldn't for the life of me get that blue pump to "suck" fuel. Tried mounting it lower than the tank, up near level with the tank no dice. If i syphoned the fuel from the tank and got the pump started it would go ok untill i shut the car off and it all ran back. Ended up putting a drain spout in the bottom of the tank and it ran fine after that. Was a backyard fix, but it worked.
89GT 357W H/C/I, SOLD
Old 04-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #21

Yea,from what I have learned about the external fuel pumps,they do not pull,they push.Its best to sump the tank,but some use the pick up and it works fine for them.That doesnt mean it will work for everyone though.
As I stated before,do it right the first time and you will be much happier with the end result.
As far as your cable,you will most likely need the cable,bracket and all.I bought one of the Lokar duo kits and it worked flawlessly,given it was about $70.
Its your decision though.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement