SN95 brake booster is a fox - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 12:27 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (3)

SN95 brake booster is a fox

Does anyone have an easy way to do this. I have fooled with putting a SN95 brake booster in my fox for 2 hrs. After taking the intake loose, wiper motor off, and apart some of the wires, I still can't get it to go all the way in. Looks like I need to bet the inner fender in some, but really don't want to do that. Have any of you had this problem, or know a good easy fix? Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2010, 02:05 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (9)

The SN95 Booster has a slightly different stud pattern if i remember correct, make a cardboard template of the booster and then hold it on the firewall and elongate as needed.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-16-2010, 04:43 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (7)

Elongate the holes, and take a BFH to the strut tower. I had to dent mine in pretty far to get my booster in.
03' Sonic Blue Cobra 497rwhp 481tq
Old 03-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy211 View Post
Does anyone have an easy way to do this. I have fooled with putting a SN95 brake booster in my fox for 2 hrs. After taking the intake loose, wiper motor off, and apart some of the wires, I still can't get it to go all the way in. Looks like I need to bet the inner fender in some, but really don't want to do that. Have any of you had this problem, or know a good easy fix? Thanks!
There's a pinned thread that talks about this... Sounds like your almost there.. You will need to "massage" the strut tower to provide the clearance and as mentioned above, the bolt pattern is slightly different and will need to be elongated..
Old 03-16-2010, 03:06 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (4)

I just did this yesterday. Yes the bolt pattern is different. Make a template and just drill another hole. I also elogated the remaining holes to make it easier to get in. And yeah you will probably need to "massage" strut tower. I did on mine just a little. Tried and tried without doing it but just no way. Banged it in just little and it slipped right in.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg90coupe View Post
...Banged it in just little and it slipped right in.
What he said I also had to elongate the holes in the firewall and dent the strut tower a tad. Was the worse part of my SN95 Disk Brake conversion.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:11 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (23)

brakes

There is a whole thread on modular fords about using sn 95 pedals and booster on a fox and you could say you have to elgongate the holes alright. Then you have to cut the pushrod and weld the fox pushrod onto the sn95 booster Personally I using the sn95 pedals and hydroboost no cutting and welding the pushrod.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (6)

Here's a thread from 2007 when I did my five lug swap and had to clearance the strut tower (with pictures). It really helped that I happened to have the engine out of the car while doing the swap. It gave me a lot more room to swing the BFH.

SN95 conversion

Last edited by stu11926; 03-16-2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Forgot to put in the link!
Old 03-16-2010, 11:22 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (11)

Is there a viable alternative to the SN95 booster if you are running SN95 brakes front and rear?

SVO? 93 Cobra? etc?

Seems like a big hassle...may just stick with rear drums till I pull the engine out.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:04 AM   #10

Trader Feedback: (7)

They are the same installing a 93 Cobra one. Thats whats in my car.
03' Sonic Blue Cobra 497rwhp 481tq
Old 03-17-2010, 02:16 AM   #11

The 93 Cobra Booster is a much better choice, the studs have the same thread pitch and pattern.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:20 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakerhood View Post
The 93 Cobra Booster is a much better choice, the studs have the same thread pitch and pattern.
What about the SVO, same as the cobra? Or a turbocoupe?
Old 03-17-2010, 02:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnQ View Post
What about the SVO, same as the cobra? Or a turbocoupe?
No idea on the SVO or TC, I imagine those would be more expensive and alot harder to find than the 93 Cobra. The 93 Cobra Booster came in my M-2300-K Kit, Excellent Pedal Feel.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:08 AM   #14

on 87+ mustangs, it is not necessary at all to massage the strut tower.

elongating the holes is all that is necessary.
-66 mustang coupe...5.0, custom comp cam roller, Eddy perf heads, Pete Jackson noisy gear drive,holley 670 carb, airgap intake,t5 trans, 96 explorer 8.8 rear 373 gears,2005 gt brakes, full suspension roller mods
-01 bullitt true blue
Old 03-17-2010, 09:29 AM   #15

I got mine in my '88 with little hassle. To be honest, i think i worked myself up on it reading the horror stories that I was afraid to do it and avoided it leaving subpar brakes. In the end...it was no big deal. putting the nuts back on to bolt it in was more of a headache. Just make sure you have extensions and universals. I dropped the lower panel of my dash too

I used an SN95 booster, and trimmed about 1/2" off each stud. I redrilled the lower hole using a cardboard template and then slotted them all to the pass side. I removed the upper intake, and wiggled it right in. Never touched the fender with a hammer.

Sometime around 91 or 92, Ford redesigned the shock tower, so the later cars are even easier.

93 cobra boosters are the easiest to install...just because the bolt stud pattern is the same as a fox booster. However they tend to cost more since they are usually purchased new. Sn95 boosters are the same, but have a metric stud and 1 stud moved slightly. 94-95 all and 99-04 V6 boosters are the ones to use. All tandem 205mm boosters...same as '93 cobra. There is no other booster to use.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #16

Trader Feedback: (3)

Thanks for the help. Just needed to drill another hole. Didn't have to do anything to the strut tower. This is the first I have heard of having to cut the plunger out of the old one. Why is this necessary?. I have mine hooked up and everything already. I am almost done. Just lack putting axles in and mounting the calipers on the rear. Curious about the plunger deal. All of the reading on this and that is the first time I have heard that.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPURTELLII View Post
There is a whole thread on modular fords about using sn 95 pedals and booster on a fox and you could say you have to elgongate the holes alright. Then you have to cut the pushrod and weld the fox pushrod onto the sn95 booster Personally I using the sn95 pedals and hydroboost no cutting and welding the pushrod.
I think we need to see this thread because there is no need to cut and weld. The 94-95 and 99-04 vac boosters share the same type of pushrod rod as the fox.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang5L5 View Post
I got mine in my '88 with little hassle. To be honest, i think i worked myself up on it reading the horror stories that I was afraid to do it and avoided it leaving subpar brakes. In the end...it was no big deal. putting the nuts back on to bolt it in was more of a headache. Just make sure you have extensions and universals. I dropped the lower panel of my dash too

I used an SN95 booster, and trimmed about 1/2" off each stud. I redrilled the lower hole using a cardboard template and then slotted them all to the pass side. I removed the upper intake, and wiggled it right in. Never touched the fender with a hammer.

Sometime around 91 or 92, Ford redesigned the shock tower, so the later cars are even easier.

93 cobra boosters are the easiest to install...just because the bolt stud pattern is the same as a fox booster. However they tend to cost more since they are usually purchased new. Sn95 boosters are the same, but have a metric stud and 1 stud moved slightly. 94-95 all and 99-04 V6 boosters are the ones to use. All tandem 205mm boosters...same as '93 cobra. There is no other booster to use.
I was originally worked up a little too after reading prior to installing the Booster, in all honesty it was really not too bad.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:22 AM   #19

Trader Feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8only View Post
on 87+ mustangs, it is not necessary at all to massage the strut tower.

elongating the holes is all that is necessary.
He's right, I've done it twice. Grab a Dremel and get to work, it's no big deal -seriously!
Old 10-31-2010, 06:18 PM   #20

so if you use the sn95 rears and 01 fronts a cobra brake booster will work? or do you need to stay with the sn95? I've read the cobra brake booster is the same as the sn95 just fits directly in. Autozone carries cobras brake boosters for 120 bucks.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:19 PM   #21

82 dollars with a 38 dollar core charge.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:24 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
so if you use the sn95 rears and 01 fronts a cobra brake booster will work? or do you need to stay with the sn95? I've read the cobra brake booster is the same as the sn95 just fits directly in. Autozone carries cobras brake boosters for 120 bucks.

1993 cobra, 94-95 all and 99-04 v6 are all the same booster.

Only difference is the 1993 cobra uses the sae pitch and stud pattern of the fox booster.

The 94-95 and 99-04 booster use metric thread and one stud is in a different spot.

96-98 v6 boosters have a straight pedal arm and should not be used.

Honestly, the install difference between sn95 and 1993 cobra booster is notmthat different. You have to slot the holes anyway...but the sn95 bolstered just need a new hole drilled. Make sure you have the metric nuts first. The stock fox booster and 1993 cobra booster use sae threads.

I got my sn95 booster in by slotting the holes, and cutting the studs down about 1/2". Didn't need to touch fender at all. I did take the intake off, but the valve cover, and wiper motor stayed. I just moved the wiring out of the way.

Looks right at home
Old 11-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #23

the cobra booster should drop right on in shouldnt it?
Old 11-01-2010, 11:35 PM   #24

Nope. Still need to slot holes to the pass side slightly.

Fender changed in 1991...so 91-93 cars will have the easiest time of it
Old 11-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #25
Formerly David Claflin

Trader Feedback: (27)

I just used a fox booster and I think it was a 15/16 bore master cylinder on the LTD, I've done the SN booster on a couple different cars before that.

Read this
How many people have had good luck w/ the stock booster & sn95 or 1993 cobra master

Last edited by superirish; 11-02-2010 at 09:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement