Dash harness help, 89 5.0. Electric guru's please post!! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2010, 08:50 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (22)

Dash harness help, 89 5.0. Electric guru's please post!!

Building a 89gt that was a roller. I read 87-89 dash harness's are universal. I bought one on eBay claimed as an 89. 90% of the plugs match up, but I can't figure out the power window wires. On the drivers side, 1 of the 2 remaining plugs that you would assume are for this, does not match up. On the passenger side there aren't even any wires. Up near the radio there are 2 similiar plugs that are capped off ( by ford) using an empty connector. Is this a provision for the power windows? Do I have a harness that was made for manuals? Thanks in advance
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2010, 10:16 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (72)

no all harnesses have the wiring built in for the power windows..pretty sure the door/window wiring harness runs along the base of the windshield under the dash and connects both sides..

there is a gray connector coming from each door..this harness connects them both..let me know if you need it.my car has manual windows and doors locks(87 notch)..all the wiring is still inside though,i'd be willing to sell it at a fair price

Last edited by tripleblackvert; 03-06-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-06-2010, 12:55 PM   #3

Is that seperate?

Is That seperate from the main harness? It looks way to small to be the main. If that's the case I must have got shorted on my purchase! Does that plug into the harness? If it makes a difference, just to be clear, I have power door locks too. So I have 2 connectors coming from each door that don't seem to have a home. Thanks
Old 03-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #4

yeah thats a separate piece..ill have to look to be sure,but i do believe it plugs into the main dash harness soemwhere..or at least the wires inside the doors do anyway..i can check better later for you..i'll eventually be pulling the wiring completely out of the doors as well

this is the main dash harness(semi installed lol)

one of those connectors near the drivers door has to get power from somewhere

Last edited by tripleblackvert; 03-06-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:57 AM   #5

turns out it is seperate!!! theres 3 or 4 on ebay now. I was ready to sell my whole harness. didnt think i had the right one. As for those capped off plugs, they are near the radio(i know they are not for the radio) Any idea........
green plug 8pin only 4 wires(dblue, lblue, yell, white) gray plug 8 pin (filled with red purples and blacks)
Old 03-07-2010, 06:46 AM   #6

yeah i just told you it was separate! lol

not sure on the gray one,but the green one,i have a "capped" off green one as well..there are 2 green ones..one plugs into the EEC harness right near the computer,and the other is just "capped" and a dead end

from the pic it appears i have the gray one there as well..see it next to the green one?(pass side floor)..(near the radio wires)

what i can tell you is that neither of those are needed for the car to run and drive..i had mine out for a test ride..could have been used in a different car from ford..i think they mixed and matched some of these harnesses in different car(lincoln,etc)..
Old 03-07-2010, 06:48 AM   #7

you can see from this pic,it doesnt appear they were ever plugged into anything..this is right after i pulled the dash out..heater box still in place

they must have been tucked up underneath somewhere

let me know if you want to buy this stuff..im going out of town tomorrow morning and wont be back for about a week..i can probably get the inside-door wiring out today..i already have the one that runs along the windshield out..just shoot me a pm if interested..will sell pieces separate as well,if you just want the windshield one..keep in mind this is from an 87 and should be pug&play with your 89 stuff..according to tmoss's website,they changed these in 93

Last edited by tripleblackvert; 03-07-2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:26 PM   #8

Yeah I see in your pic those are the same 2 that are capped( convienent place to find a power wire for guages if I need one) thanks for the help. I'll let you know if/when I need a harness. I've got the ones inside the door. Thanks again now I just hope my injector harness matches my 89 maf harness.( I don't think it was year specific when I bought it, but I understand they are not all the same.)
Old 03-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #9

the injector harnesses were all the same from 87-93..

its the computer and dash harnesses that changed thru the years(when i say computer harness,im referring to the harness with the 60pin connector for the EEC)

for example, an 87 injector harness will work fine with any year(87-93) computer harness..

but you cant use a 90-93 computer harness with an 87 dash harness...only an 87,88,or 89 computer harness will work with an 87,88,or 89 dash harness..

the oxygen sensor harnesses are also slightly different..the position of the looped wire is the difference..this looped wire is how i sent 12v into the SIGRTN and fried my computer..it was in the wrong position for my setup..

its very easy to avoid doing this(i figured this out after the fact,of course lol)..just check for voltage Key ON,then while cranking,clutch down in the #46 pin of the EEC connector with the EEC not installed..if there is voltage present,DO NOT install your computer..this means the jumper wire is looped in the wrong position,and you'll need to correct it first,or fry the EEC

that being said,you can use any year or trans o2 sensor harness,as long as you check first and re-pin the o2 harness connector if/as necessary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement