Replacement Door VIN Stickers? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 07:20 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Replacement Door VIN Stickers?

My '88 GT suffered a sideswipe before I owned it, and now wears the driver's door from a '93 LX. Unfortunately, it also has the VIN tag from that '93, which is a bit confusing.

Is there anywhere I can get a new, correct, door tag for my '88?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 08:06 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (6)

ask that same question at www.mustanggt.org

If anyone would k now, those guys would. They are fox resto nuts.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:50 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (5)

stickers

i talked to guys at saleen and they told me that i would have to contact ford. but must of the time on foxbodys they only have them for special editions. that is what they said. i will tell you more in a couple of days when i call ford.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-21-2009, 02:48 AM   #4

there is not much alternative other than

a saw and 4 rivets...

you still need to have the other ORIGINAL CHASSIS v.i.n. able to be easily seen...
there aint no shortcuts to doing it RIGHT....
Old 10-21-2009, 11:22 AM   #5

I still have the correct VIN on the cowl and on the hatch sticker, so I know which car I have, and it got through CA DMV. Just hoping to find the door sticker. If not, this one will just get removed when I paint the car, and it will be missing rather than obviously wrong. Thanks, all.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #6

Hell, leave it on. at least that sticker proves that it is an OEM door, and not an aftermarket jap door.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (11)

You may want to check out Phoenix Graphix.

www.phoenixgraphix.com

They might be able to make one for you.
90 GT Convertible- Triple Black- Cobra intake and MAF, 24lb inj., "P" heads, Cobra 1.7 rr, Lunati cam, 73 mm fronts, 3:73, 190 lph, etc, etc, etc.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90topdown View Post
You may want to check out Phoenix Graphix.

www.phoenixgraphix.com

They might be able to make one for you.

not sure on the legality of that
Old 10-22-2009, 03:15 PM   #9
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (36)

You cannot get replacement VIN decals anywhere - not aftermarket and not through Ford. Once the original VIN decal has been marred, damaged, removed, painted over, etc - that's the end of it, period.

It is a liability risk - this is why Ford will never reprint those VIN decals for anyone. This also holds true for the metal VIN affixed to the top of the dash and the large white B-pillar or door decal. Also, no aftermarket Company is authorized to make such reprints either.

The only replacement VIN decal you will ever see on a genuine Ford replacement body panel or sheet metal is one that looks exactly like the original VIN decal, however, there is no VIN # on it. The decal is white, the background has small Ford Blue Ovals and on the actual decal will be printed "DOT-R" - which is a replacement crash panel, approved by DOT.

Ford also will not replace VIN decals that have come off of the vehicle due to moisture or water getting underneath of them or if they were hit w/ a pressure washer, etc... Even if the decal is peeling back, it cannot be replaced.
1994 Cobra coupe SVT #0013, 2011 Genesis Coupe
Old 10-22-2009, 06:45 PM   #10

Legality? its a sticker on a body panel. it isnt for identifying the body's actual vin tag lol. The vin tag you can goto prison for is held down with rosette rivits. rivits that are illegal to possess unless you are a body shop owner.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:04 PM   #11

Trader Feedback: (23)

I need one as well on my 88. Some dumb a** decided to paint the jambs and half way tape the sticker.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:13 PM   #12

easier to remove the paint off it
Old 10-22-2009, 11:03 PM   #13

Which "sticker" are we talking about here? The small sticker of just the VIN that is on every major body panel on the car OR the large sticker on rear face of the the driver-side door (Vehicle Certification Label) with the scheduled build date, VIN, exterior and interior colors, radio, axle ratio, and transmission?
Old 10-23-2009, 12:45 AM   #14

We are talking about the stickers on the hood, bumper cover, fenders, doors, quarter panels inside the trunk/hatch, on the trunk/hatch and rear bumper cover.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #15
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (36)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chads93GT View Post
Legality? its a sticker on a body panel. it isnt for identifying the body's actual vin tag lol. The vin tag you can goto prison for is held down with rosette rivits. rivits that are illegal to possess unless you are a body shop owner.

For argument's sake - The Federal Government mandated that all vehicles manufactured after 1986 has to have a VIN labeling system. The reason for this Federal law was to cut down on theft of not only vehicles, but vehicle parts. The VIN could be etched or attached by the means of a decal.

So, sure, it may be just a "sticker" on a body panel, but it identifies which vehicle that part belongs to (or came from).

Quote:
The Federal Motor Vehicle Theft Law Enforcement Act of 1984 became law on October 25, 1984. The standard applies to both major parts and all motor vehicles produced during the 1987 model year and all sequential models produced thereafter.

The 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number must be inscribed on the engine, transmission, both front fenders, hood, both doors, both bumpers, both rear quarter panels and the deck lid or hatchback (whichever is present). The VIN taken from the stated locations shall provide a true description of the vehicle to which it is assigned.
good site for checking VIN's: https://www.nicb.org/cps/rde/xchg/ni.../vincheck.html

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=content;col1

I don't know about any of you, but when I come across a used vehicle that has either missing VIN decals or I see no VIN decals, there are questions that do arise.

Also one other important note to VIN labels on aftermarket crash replacement panels: There is NO aftermarket Company around that is allowed to place a VIN "DOT-R" label on ANY of their reproduced parts. If you have a vehicle that was involved in a collision and those parts replaced were done so w/ aftermarket replacement crash panels, there will not be any "DOT-R" sticker. This is because the part was not approved by DOT, as it may not meet the traditional crash safety standards as those of the ORIGINAL manufactured part.

Many Dealer genuine replacement crash panels will have a "DOT-R" decal affixed to them and these labels are not to be removed, as it shows that the panel was replaced w/ a DOT approved part.

1994 Cobra coupe SVT #0013, 2011 Genesis Coupe
Old 10-23-2009, 06:39 PM   #16

Trader Feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chads93GT View Post
Suddenly I have the urge to possess said rivets.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
Which "sticker" are we talking about here? The small sticker of just the VIN that is on every major body panel on the car OR the large sticker on rear face of the the driver-side door (Vehicle Certification Label) with the scheduled build date, VIN, exterior and interior colors, radio, axle ratio, and transmission?
Well, _I_ was talking about what you call the Vehicle Certification Label, which CA DMV seemed concerned was wrong. Some others seem to have gone another way with this thread. My take is that no one has a source for the VCL, which is really too bad, since it is affixed to a part that does indeed get damaged in crashes that are far from totalling the entire car.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:52 AM   #18

...you are referred to as being ...ANAL-RETENTIVE...
there aint no shortcuts to doing it RIGHT....
Old 10-25-2009, 04:18 AM   #19

Marti Auto (.com) re-prints VC Labels for I think around $35 but I'm not sure how far forward they go. I know they do them for the four-eye cars. And I'm pretty sure that they need the data from the old label, so you're going to have to figure out what it all was.
Old 10-25-2009, 09:06 AM   #20

Trader Feedback: (12)

what's the best way to protect them when you do get it painted. just blue tape?
Old 10-25-2009, 06:30 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray III View Post
Suddenly I have the urge to possess said rivets.

Me too...just because
Sponsored Links
Advertisement