Clutch fork walking out of my TR3650 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 01:06 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Clutch fork walking out of my TR3650

I have an '03 GT with stock TR3650 tranny, Spec 2+LPR clutch and flywheel. Occasionally after driving for a while, the clutch fork tends to back out of the tranny and start rubbing against the cover. It did it about a year ago right before I got to my destination. I let the car sit for a few hours, and then somehow it fixed itself. The other day I was driving and I started hearing a weird noise when I depressed the pedal, and then it refused to go down all the way, so today I had to jack the car up, take the cover off and pop the fork in the rest of the way. Is it a poorly adjusted cable? Should I not be pushing the pedal so far? Or is it just time to pull the tranny and replace the fork? Ive been a mechanic for 10 years and Ive never replaced a clutch fork, or seen one go bad. Please let me know what you think, thanks!
'03 Sonic Blue GT STOCK engine 5spd, Procharger P1SC 10?psi 413rwhp 5200RPM, Accel coils, 42lb injectors, 90mm MAF, Walbro 255, MAFia AFM Powerpipe, SPEC 2+LPR clutch & fly, FRPP driveshaft, UPR subconnectors control arms springs, Cobra swaybars, Mach1 shocks, Moser 31 axles, , Eaton diff, 373 gears
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (63)

assuming the clutch fork has been removed before (thinking when the clutch was done if the TOB was replaced also) the clip on the ball stud could be stressed. Buy a new fork, they are only about $26.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (17)

Yea sounds like one of the two "fingers" that holds itself onto the pivot ball broke off or moved outward or something

Bunch of parts for sale..306, fully forged 347, 0 mile 357, Fully Forged 408, tremec trans, clutch, and more....
Old 07-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPINTAURO View Post
assuming the clutch fork has been removed before (thinking when the clutch was done if the TOB was replaced also) the clip on the ball stud could be stressed. Buy a new fork, they are only about $26.
Thats what I was thinking, Ive replaced many clutches and TO's, an have never seen this, but I do think I remember being concerned about the clip. Even ifi it was $1, I dont feel like pulling the tranny out again. Oh well, I guess it's gonna happen unless someone else has any ideas.
'03 Sonic Blue GT STOCK engine 5spd, Procharger P1SC 10?psi 413rwhp 5200RPM, Accel coils, 42lb injectors, 90mm MAF, Walbro 255, MAFia AFM Powerpipe, SPEC 2+LPR clutch & fly, FRPP driveshaft, UPR subconnectors control arms springs, Cobra swaybars, Mach1 shocks, Moser 31 axles, , Eaton diff, 373 gears
Old 07-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #5

Ford Racing sells them through Summit Racing and Jeg's... Anyone have any experience or know of any better brands?
Old 07-21-2009, 10:52 PM   #6

I always use the Ford ones.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPINTAURO View Post
I always use the Ford ones.
So you have replaced some before? WHat was wrong with them? Ford Racing says theirs are stronger other than that I guess its the same, its not more expensive either
Old 07-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #8

The problem i had was the same you had. The clip on the fork that attaches to the pivet ball gave way and made the fork fall out. This only happened after taking it apart. The spring clip will bend when you take out the fork to replace the TOB and because the clip is spring steel it will lose its strength once it is stretched out. I replaced the first clutch in my 98 with out this happening, when I did the second one, well, of course the fork fell out after I had put the trans back in the car
So any time I do a clutch for anyone, i say spend the few bucks and buy the new fork for cheap insurance and less headaches.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown03GT View Post
So you have replaced some before? WHat was wrong with them? Ford Racing says theirs are stronger other than that I guess its the same, its not more expensive either
And also to answer your question, on a modular car, the fork is pretty secure. It is reinforced from the factory and the one from Ford racing looks identical to the original. I'm almost 100% sure its the same, probably just there marketing strategy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement