1992 Mustang convertible roll bar options? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 08:13 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

1992 Mustang convertible roll bar options?

I have looked on the 'net...just did a search of roll bars and roll cages for 92 LX convertible and found very little-the ones I did find were wicked expensive.

I saw a Steeda kit for $300...anybody have on in there car so I can actually SEE the setup? I like the idea of firming up the chassis even more than before...but my real reason is my 9-month-old that rides in the car with me sometimes. My wife and I took her to a picnic today in the 'vert...and all I could think about was what would happen to her if we got in an accident and the car flipped. I'm willing to spend the money to protect her-just need some suggestions before I do.

I would prefer a bolt-in that maybe I'll have welded later...and one that isn't too invasive on the seating positions inside. I do not care if I have to trim the interior pieces around it-no problem in the interest of safety. I'm also not worried about it coming ahead of the driver (picture how a Jeep Wrangler has a cage)...just looking for a basic strong hoop with two legs extending behind it.

Any input would really be appreciated!

92 LX 5.0 convertible stick, project, 43k original miles
09 Fusion SE Sport Appearance Package, 18's, motorsport suspension
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2009, 02:37 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (11)

My friend did the maximum motorsport rollbar in his vert.

turned out real nice. he welded it in.

the only thing I don't like is how the front bars bolt to the floorpan and not rails. However, he solved that flexing issue by welding in a plate between the bottom of the floorpan where the bar bolted on and the frame rail.
-66 mustang coupe...5.0, custom comp cam roller, Eddy perf heads, Pete Jackson noisy gear drive,holley 670 carb, airgap intake,t5 trans, 96 explorer 8.8 rear 373 gears,2005 gt brakes, full suspension roller mods
-01 bullitt true blue
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-06-2009, 01:57 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (25)

I've driven/owned verts for more than 30 years and in all that time, only rolled one car - not the vert. Both of my girls rode around in the verts until they hated the wind mussing their hair - for me, a driving-style adjustment had to occur with the kids in the car. But I certainly understand your concern. To answer your question, I think I'd look at some motorsport rules to see what would be legal in the event you decided to race the car - say in an open track or HPDE rather than a drag event. This is because the 4-point roll bar requirements for the on-track cars are stricter than the same bar for a drag car (I believe the MM bar is legal for drag racing only). Considering the likely driving enviroment where a roll-over would occur with baby on-board, I would want the stronger bar.

IMHO, your bigger concern is the baby's neck during abrubt stops and of course secondary collisions - with interior parts and that roll bar if the baby seat comes loose. Things to consider.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:38 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (13)

I have been looking at these a while myself for my vert. I am wanting to do some open track stuff and would prefer some protection, plus just like you said, family safety. MM, Steeda all seem to be about the same. It's my understanding that Dugan Racing has one, but I have not been able to see one. MM's stuff always seems to be good stuff, but just want to make sure I am getting the right one. I have also considered the 6 point drag race style just to tie in the front subframe, but I would probably just go with the 4 point.

I looked at one on Griggs Racing website that looked good, but the price was crazy!!

Barry
90 LX Triple Black Vert, 306, B303, Cobra 1.7 Roller Rockers, GT40 ported iron heads, Cobra intake, shorties, 65mm TB, 73mm C&L, 24lb injectors, Cobra front brakes, Lincoln rear discs, 3.55 gear, sub frame connectors, strut tower brace, Bilsteins and coilovers, Flowmaster Thunderseries
Old 07-08-2009, 07:29 PM   #5

Thanks to everyone who contributed. I have no expectations for this car to get on a track of any sort...if it did it would race in a "stock" class so I would not expect any requirement for a roll bar but it's a good point.

I drive like I'm surrounded with eggs when my daughter is in the car. I know the chance of a rollover is very, very minor...but my wife and I were driving down to a neighboring town on Sunday with my daughter in the car and I became really concerned. I drive the car to work on nice days...and I pick her up from daycare one night per week for a 40-minute ride home...so I want to be SURE.

I have come across an alternative that might work-I found that competition engineering makes a main hoop that is pre-bent for $59 through Mustangs Unlimited. There is a race car fabrication shop near me-I'm thinking if I buy that main hoop, they could probably tie them and the rear legs to the subframes at least (my car has fully welded connectors in it).

I'll investigate more and share my results. I don't really want to do a 6-point if I can avoid it because I'm big and giving up any more hip space would seriously suck.

Thanks again!

92 LX 5.0 convertible stick, project, 43k original miles
09 Fusion SE Sport Appearance Package, 18's, motorsport suspension
Old 07-08-2009, 11:49 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (15)

You can buy a 4 point with no harness bar. It's not NHRA legal, so you couldn't do any serious drag racing. But, it is a hell of a lot safer than nothing. Or you could buy the 6 point with swingouts and take the swingouts out of the car when you're not racing. I recommend MM for everything chassis and suspension related too.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (1)

i'd say bring it to a chassis shop. the problem with the convertible is that there's really no place to tie in a bar to the frame, unless you put in through the floor subframe connectors. bolting it to sheet metal really isn't going to do too much
91vert: Dart Block, 363 stroker - all forged internals, AFR185s, Trickflow Box-R, 90mm t/b, CI cam, scorpion 1.6's, Kooks 1 3/4" longtubes 3" coll., 3" custom x-pipe, 3" magnaflows w/ tails, 3.73's, Paxton Novi2000, intercooler

670rwhp/655rwtq @ 17psi (belt slip)
Old 07-09-2009, 08:52 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (15)

The bolt in cages that MM sells for convertibles aren't really bolt in. Installing their bar requires you to weld plates to the thin floor where the rear bars attach behind the rear seat. Then you can bolt it in.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:55 AM   #9

I'm not at a computer with pics of the stang on it, but I'll try to repost later. That being said...

I had a cage made for my car by a race shop. This was about ten years ago, and IIRC, the cage, powdercoating, fully welded, and custom making subframe connectors that all tied in ran about a grand. I'm not sure what the going rates in your area are, but for just a cage and having it painted I wouldn't imagine would run more than $500. It's more expensive than your goal, but it would be a no compromise, made to your specs cage, and in my case, after 10 years, it's still looking great. (Mine is a 6 point, btw).

If you search my username here, I'm sure you'll see recent pics, but when I get a chance, I'll try to dig up some pics of when I first had it made, so you can see how it tied in with the stock interior (my stock interior is long gone now).

Thanks for reading, and good luck!
Times: To come after slicks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement