Wiring Harness Differences 1987 - 1989 and 1990 - 1993 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2009, 09:52 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (10)

Wiring Harness Differences 1987 - 1989 and 1990 - 1993

I'm wondering what the differences are between the engine wiring harnesses from 1987-1989 and 1990-1993? I happen to have a 89 harness laying around and need a harness for my 92. The body harness plug in the 92 is brown, the 89 engine harness is gray, but it does plug in. Anyone know off hand what the differences were that would preclude me from using the 89 harness in this car?

Thanks much!
DW- 92 LX, modified Tremec 3550, trac-loc, hydroboost cobra brakes, custom chrome-moly subframe connectors w/ x-brace and driveshaft loop, bestline UCAs, front & rear coil-overs... New engine in-progress
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2009, 10:07 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (4)

oh no!!!! you might catch some sh#t for this one
try to fing a matching harness from the same year. do a search on here you'll find your answer, there are several different harness's among the yrs,
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-25-2009, 10:10 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (4)

this might help

You guys can post other things, but the only thing im going to post is the computer harness issue. IN the past weeks ive been doing a 4cyl to 5.0 conversion on my 92 4cyl convertible. As some of you know, 92-93 mustangs had the fuel relays mounted on the inner fender well's just below the mass air sensor. 87-90 mustangs had their fuel relay's mounted under the driver's seat as well as the 91's.

When converting a 92-93 4cyl to 5.0 you cannot use a mass air computer harness out of an 89-91 5.0. There are two suttle differences. The 89-91 harnesses do not have a fuel relay in it, and there are two large pin connections located next to the code test wires.

The 91-93 mustangs only have one large pin connectoin next to the brake booster, and the fuel relay is mounted on the harness next to the MAF sensor except for the 91 year. The fuel relay is still mounted under the seat..

When you try to use an 89-91 MAF computer harness on a 92-93 car, you run into two problems.

One, your body/dash harness only has 1 plug next to the brake booster to plug into the large pin connections of the computer harness, leaving one connector dead and unused, as it has nothing to plug into, and 2nd, there is no fuel relay next to the MAF.

why is this a problem? Simple. Since the 92-93 cars do not have a fuel relay under the seat, and since there is no relay on the 89-91 harness, when you try to use the harness on the car you get a car with no fuel relay, therefore the car will NEVER start, and NEVER run. The only way to make it work is to also to change the main body harness inside the car.

The 91-93 cars only have 1 large plug next to the code test plugs, therefore they need the correct MAF computer harness from 91-93 cars. If you are confused go outside and look at your car. Make note a 91 harness will not work with a 92-93 car, becuase the fuel relay is not located on the computer harness.

If its an 87-91, you will have 1 large relay mounted under the MAF
If its a 92-93, you will have 2 large relay's mounted under the MAF

If its an 87-90, you will have 2 large plugs next to the code plugs by the brake booster. One brown, one black.
If its an 91-93, You will have 1 large plug next to the code plugs by the brake booster. brown only.

So, to summarize.

if you are converting an 87-90 4cyl to a 5.0, you need a MAF harness out of an 89-90.

if you are converting a 92-93 4cyl to a 5.0, you need a MAF harness out of a 92-93.

if you are converting a 91 4cyl to a 5.0, you need a 91 harness as the 91 year is unique in its own.

When people are selling a computer harness and advertise that it is for 87-93 this is very misleading and false. Although you can MAKE it work by swapping out other harness's inside the car as well, it is not a simple plug and play as it would be for using the correct years.

This is all i am posting for now. Feel free to add to this thread with other information pertaining to this subject.

I had to edit this because I found out that 89-90 is the same, 91 is unique but similar to 92-93, and 92-93 is the same.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:16 PM   #4
Formerly MustangSandi

Trader Feedback: (109)

87-88 are the same, 89 is specific, 90 is specific, 91-92.5 is the same, 92.5-93 is the same.. Don't waste your time trying to splice them, get the appropriate one. 89 can be used in 87-88 to convert it to mass air.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:18 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (23)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ourobos View Post
87-88 are the same, 89 is specific, 90 is specific, 91-92.5 is the same, 92.5-93 is the same.. Don't waste your time trying to splice them, get the appropriate one. 89 can be used in 87-88 to convert it to mass air.
X2. I didnt know that before I started now I have had to make it work. Can it be done yes... is it right ... NO. I just have to make this work until I can find a complete car and get the entire harness from it.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:29 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (156)

sorry to sidetrack the thread..
...but i have a 86 and am wanting to convert it but am also curious as to what harness i can use?

thanks
Old 05-26-2009, 01:38 AM   #7

Trader Feedback: (3)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmustang91 View Post
...but i have a 86 and am wanting to convert it but am also curious as to what harness i can use?

thanks

You should just buy the MAF sensor harness and add it to your existing Main EEC harness

Xbox Live = TwoRockTwo
Old 05-27-2009, 04:04 AM   #8

Trader Feedback: (156)

thanks and to not clutter this anymore i sent u a pm..
Old 05-27-2009, 04:36 AM   #9

Trader Feedback: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ourobos View Post
QFT I have one rule for conversions... buy a clean 4 banger coupe, then find the same year v8 car with a rusted out #### box for a body. There all over the place here and there cheap.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:36 AM   #10

Trader Feedback: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmustang91 View Post

thanks
you need the 1989 5.0 harness
Old 05-27-2009, 11:57 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo12 View Post
you need the 1989 5.0 harness
the '86 dash harness is different you know.

the best and easiest way to go MAF on an '86 is the add on MAF harness and swap a few pins.

Xbox Live = TwoRockTwo
Old 05-28-2009, 12:04 AM   #12

Trader Feedback: (31)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92fox50 View Post
this might help

You guys can post other things, but the only thing im going to post is the computer harness issue. IN the past weeks ive been doing a 4cyl to 5.0 conversion on my 92 4cyl convertible. As some of you know, 92-93 mustangs had the fuel relays mounted on the inner fender well's just below the mass air sensor. 87-90 mustangs had their fuel relay's mounted under the driver's seat as well as the 91's.

When converting a 92-93 4cyl to 5.0 you cannot use a mass air computer harness out of an 89-91 5.0. There are two suttle differences. The 89-91 harnesses do not have a fuel relay in it, and there are two large pin connections located next to the code test wires.
I did this same thing.. bought a 91 donor car to convert a 92 4cyl... got everything but the exu harness LOL... Could not figure out for the life of me why my fuel pump was only getting 6v's LOL! glade im not the only one LOL!
Old 05-28-2009, 08:37 PM   #13

Trader Feedback: (1)

I would agree, Get the year harness for the same year car. Im doing a 4cyl to 5.0 1990 coupe right now. One big reason I had to go year specific is in 1990 they used airbags... So my 1989 donor car's harness wouldnt plug and play.......
Good Luck!
Old 05-28-2009, 10:20 PM   #14

Trader Feedback: (31)

You need to count the wires in the round grey plug that is by the ecm and goes to the dash. If if has six then you need the early 92 haness. If it has 4 then it is the late 92 and 93. If you need that one with 4 wires I have one
Old 09-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #15

the harnesses can be swapped if your savvy with a wiring schematic
Old 09-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #16

Hello, sorry to hijack this thread but I have a question that pertains to this as well. I got a 90gt, I am not sure of the model computer or wiring harness thats currently in the car. It has a relay under the mass air. Does this mean its most likely not a 90 model harness. Also can someone tell me how to tell the model computer I have, or are the computers more interchangeable than harnesses? Cause this car will start and run....for about 5 or 10 minutes then the check engine light blinks and it shuts off for about 10 or 15 min.......maybe an incompatable harness/computer combo is to blame? could that cause such symptoms?.....Thanks alot
Old 09-10-2009, 12:31 AM   #17

Garage
The V8 EEC's can all be interchanged between 89-93, it really doesn't matter. The only special one is the Cobra EEC, which will also work if you use the Cobra MAF meter and the 24# injectors.

Having only 1 relay under your MAF means that it is NOT a Late 92 - 93 harness.

Since your car starts and runs, I don't think your problem is related to the wiring. Usually they don't start at all if the wiring is wrong.

It could be a number of other things, possibly bad TFI.

You just gotta pull the codes and go from there.

Xbox Live = TwoRockTwo
Old 11-19-2011, 11:53 PM   #18

Trader Feedback: (0)

Can you help me out please?

Hello, I converted a 93 mustang convertible from a 4 cyl. To an 8. I have an 87 harness that was converted to mass air. Can I use this harness?

The 91-93 mustangs only have one large pin connectoin next to the brake booster, and the fuel relay is mounted on the harness next to the MAF sensor except for the 91 year. The fuel relay is still mounted under the seat..

When you try to use an 89-91 MAF computer harness on a 92-93 car, you run into two problems.

One, your body/dash harness only has 1 plug next to the brake booster to plug into the large pin connections of the computer harness, leaving one connector dead and unused, as it has nothing to plug into, and 2nd, there is no fuel relay next to the MAF.

why is this a problem? Simple. Since the 92-93 cars do not have a fuel relay under the seat, and since there is no relay on the 89-91 harness, when you try to use the harness on the car you get a car with no fuel relay, therefore the car will NEVER start, and NEVER run. The only way to make it work is to also to change the main body harness inside the car.

The 91-93 cars only have 1 large plug next to the code test plugs, therefore they need the correct MAF computer harness from 91-93 cars. If you are confused go outside and look at your car. Make note a 91 harness will not work with a 92-93 car, becuase the fuel relay is not located on the computer harness.

If its an 87-91, you will have 1 large relay mounted under the MAF
If its a 92-93, you will have 2 large relay's mounted under the MAF

If its an 87-90, you will have 2 large plugs next to the code plugs by the brake booster. One brown, one black.
If its an 91-93, You will have 1 large plug next to the code plugs by the brake booster. brown only.

So, to summarize.

if you are converting an 87-90 4cyl to a 5.0, you need a MAF harness out of an 89-90.

if you are converting a 92-93 4cyl to a 5.0, you need a MAF harness out of a 92-93.

if you are converting a 91 4cyl to a 5.0, you need a 91 harness as the 91 year is unique in its own.

When people are selling a computer harness and advertise that it is for 87-93 this is very misleading and false. Although you can MAKE it work by swapping out other harness's inside the car as well, it is not a simple plug and play as it would be for using the correct years.

This is all i am posting for now. Feel free to add to this thread with other information pertaining to this subject.

I had to edit this because I found out that 89-90 is the same, 91 is unique but similar to 92-93, and 92-93 is the same.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #19

I have a 87 notch that someone started ripping out wires like crazy! so i bought a 91 gt doner could i slowly just swap all the wiring over to the notch! slowly trying to get it all done right. that means dash and all.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:24 PM   #20
Formerly MustangSandi

You'd need the driver side engine harness also.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:09 PM   #21

So, if I don't have matching harnesses, I should spend $hundreds$ to find one that matches? Why is rewiring so out of the question? I'm sure someone has done it. I just need to know who and how.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:14 PM   #22
Formerly MustangSandi

Because it's simple and cheap to get the correct harness. See post #4 for direct plug and play ECU harnesses. The rest of the wiring can stay if converting from 2.3 to 5.0, you'd need to extend the alternator wiring, or you can get a headlight harness also and nothing needs to be spliced. Headlight harnesses are 87-89 and 90-93 interchangeability.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #23

Trader Feedback: (51)

Headlight harness are the same from 87-89 90-mid92 and mid92-93. The small 2 wire plug that they changed to blue plug in mid 92 will not plug into the 90 - early 92 dash harness.

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=4hrqs83[/url]
Old 02-28-2014, 07:29 AM   #24

Trader Feedback: (45)

The reason they R referring to mid 92 > 93 is that Ford moved the fuel pump relay from under the drivers seat to over by the MAS mid year 1992. NO the harness that has 1 plug by the MAS isn't wrong, it simply is an early 92<....
Old 02-28-2014, 08:02 AM   #25

Trader Feedback: (13)

I have done several of these swaps including a 86 where I had to change the entire dash harness and currently in the middle of a swap on a 92 where the po hacked up the dash harness so its getting swapped as well. It sure makes it easier if you have the correct harness and I would think it would make life alot easier going that route over rewiring if you have wiring issues down the road.

If you shop around and aren't in a hurry you can find the right harnesses pretty cheap.

Lots of good info here

OFFICIAL FOUR CYLINDER to V8 CONVERSION Do's & Don'ts MERGED THREADS
Old 02-28-2014, 01:51 PM   #26

When the term "dash harness" is used, are you refering too everything from the dash to the rear of the car? Or is there an engine harness, dash harness, AND another harness going back from the dash?

Is there a difference between hatch/notch?

I'll be looking for a 93 dash/interior harness.
Old 02-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #27

headlight harness,efi harness,injector harness,o2 harness,dash harness ,and body harness.
Old 02-28-2014, 03:01 PM   #28

Garage
Yes, there are many other harness's inside the vehicle, ... Door's, body, trans, etc., It doesn't just end with the Dash harness.

Xbox Live = TwoRockTwo
Old 02-28-2014, 05:14 PM   #29

I was just wondering if THE DASH harness continued to the back of the car. So, the engine harness connects to the dash harness. And the dash harness connects to the chassis harness. And ALL 3 must be from the same year. Correct?
Old 02-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #30

And does the body style matter?
Old 03-01-2014, 09:01 AM   #31

Trader Feedback: (51)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate.shirk View Post
I was just wondering if THE DASH harness continued to the back of the car. So, the engine harness connects to the dash harness. And the dash harness connects to the chassis harness. And ALL 3 must be from the same year. Correct?
I have used a 87 dash harness with a 90 chassis harness without a problem before. Colors on the wires did not match up but everything worked. Now you could not use a chassis from a mid 92-93 because the fuel pump relay would not be there. I would try using all the same year harness if you can, for the simple reason if you ever have trace wires it is just easier.

http://video.tinypic.com/player.php?v=4hrqs83[/url]
Old 03-01-2014, 03:01 PM   #32
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (172)

Lets just make this as easy as possible.

87-88 (EXCLUDING California Mustangs, which in 1988, were MASS AIR), are Speed Density. To Convert these to Mass Air, you "have to have" an EFI Harness from a 1989 Mustang or one from a California 1988, ONLY! The only other option is to buy a Painless Wiring Harness. NOTE: The 1988 Calif. MAM "Plug" is OBLONG and can be converted to the 1/2 moon shape with the proper connector (No Splicing is required. Re-Pin it!).

Now, from here on in, this information is for the purpose of Converting a 4 Banger Mustang (I DO NOT CARE If it is a COUPE, HATCHBACK or a CONVERTIBLE)! AND, I could CARE LESS "What You Have Been Told"! I've done HUNDREDS of these Conversions MYSELF and "I" have been doing so for the past 22 plus Years!

87-89 Use a 1989 EFI Harness. How do you tell? It will have the Round Gray and Round Black Connectors near the Brake Booster BUT, NO WHITE Connectors anywhere on this Harness (except for the White 10 Pin Connector).

1990 is a "one year only" Harness. How do you tell? It will have the Round Gray and Round Black Connectors near the Brake Booster (just like the 87-89 but WITH 2 White Connectors on the Harness near the MAM). Build Date of the car will be within 1990.
NOTE: NO, you cannot use this harness on a 87-89!

91 through Mid 1992. How do you tell? It will have a Brown Connector near the Brake Booster. Due to Factory "Overlap", look also for the Fuel Pump Relay that will be a Black/Green "BOX" under the Drivers Seat which is the fuel Pump Relay. If it is not there, you have a Mid 92 through 93 Harness.

Mid 92 through all of 1993. How do you tell? Look for the Brown Connector near the Brake Booster but also Confirm that it Does NOT have the Black/Green "BOX" under the Drivers Seat. Also, Confirm that there ARE 2 Black "Boxes/Relays" by/near the MAM.

QUESTIONS? Feel free to e-mail me at mustangman@goldenwest.net Don't bother trying to make it sound like you want to buy something, just tell me what you want to do, Buy, Sell or Confirm Information.
YES, I have ALL of the Harnesses that you will need and/or Information!

Thanks All (and the Corral too)
Jon
93 Coupe. DECIDING Calypso Green, Black Interior.
94 GT Convertible 5.0 5 Sp. Red Black/Gray Interior.
95 GT Coupe 5.0 5 Sp. Red, Black Interior.

Last edited by Jon Evenoff; 03-01-2014 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Up-Dated with minor changes
Old 03-01-2014, 03:28 PM   #33

Trader Feedback: (15)

Garage
↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

11.52@116.23 during NMRA Factory Stock qualifying @ Norwalk. 11.56@117.01 in eliminations on the new 308 w/unported P-heads and Explorer intake @ 3050lbs. ALL MOTOR. Now for a good clutch!
Old 03-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #34

Jon is a wealth of knowledge. He helped answer my questions while putting together harnesses for my current swap.
Old 03-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #35

My question was wether the body styles were interchangable. Yes, I get the years are specific. But will a 93 hatch chassis harness work (fit) in a 93 coupe. I don't see why not. Just want to confirm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement