Help 2001 mustang gt with a abs light and traction stuck on - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2009, 10:43 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Question Help 2001 mustang gt with a abs light and traction stuck on

Hey guys, i need some help i have a 01 mustang gt. i bought this car 2 years ago and it had this problem. the problem is the abs light is stuck on and until last week the traction control light was on to but the thing was traction was never off and no matter what it would never go off. now the light is off but it acts the same. i just replaced the switch hoping that was the problem but it is still here i had a shop do an abs auto scan and it kept saying no communication. also my speedometer is always off by 10 mph. ex. it says 55 but im doing 45. i have checked all the fuses and there good. the actual tc switch will not light up when it is pushed but when the headlights r on it will illuminate the trac cont lettering. i have no clue where to go from here maybe someone can help out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2009, 07:54 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (5)

Do you have rear gears?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-30-2009, 10:56 PM   #3

i think so but im not 100% sure, i bought the car used it feels like it does
Old 04-30-2009, 11:09 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (6)

Could an ABS hub/assembly be faulty in the rear?
Old 05-01-2009, 01:11 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (3)

Diagnose the ABS Module no communication fault first. Don't just throw parts at it, that's far too costly. You should at least get a U code to start with, even if you can't communicate with the ABS module. I dunno if aftermarket code scanners can pick up anything other than typical P codes, so get someone at a Ford dealership to scan it with the WDS or IDS system that Ford uses. If you have a buddy that works at a dealership, see if you can borrow your model and year Workshop Manual and PC/ED, it'll come in handy.

Typical ABS concerns involve the Tone ring or wheel speed sensor at one or more wheels.
Old 05-01-2009, 08:24 AM   #6

Well, if the speedo accuracy is off, it's probably because he has rear gears and no compensation for that in the speedo. Wouldn't that throw off the ABS since the speed is different than expected?
Old 05-01-2009, 10:22 AM   #7

ABS and T/C are related, so if you have an ABS light on, that means the system is disabled and so it T/C

Why is the t/c light out?? Perhaps the LED burned out? It happens from time to time. But def if your ABS light is on, they the entire system is disabled

Diagnose your ABS problem first. Once that's working, then chase down the t/c prob and verify if it works or now. (spin the tires and see if the wheel light comes on in the dash)
Old 05-03-2009, 09:52 PM   #8

where exactely is the abs hub/assembly located at? i replaced t/c switch and the vehicle speed sensor and no luck. the green wheel light does not even come on if i spin the tire or if i turn my key to acc. i did the dash test and it came on than. i think it may be worth just paying ford the 90 dollars to diagnose it
Old 05-04-2009, 08:06 AM   #9

On the rear, the ABS rings are pressed on the axles, just inboard of the flange. It looks like a gear with teeth. The ABS sensor is a little doohickey that is bolted to the axle bracket (that's bolted on the end of the axle tube). Follow the cable that goes from the chassis to the axle bracket--that will be your ABS sensor.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:34 PM   #10

ok thanks ill take a look at that tomorrow and see if i can find anything wrong with it, do you think its worth just bringing to ford?
Old 05-05-2009, 07:44 AM   #11

You'll need a mutilmeter. Unplug each ABS sensor and check the resistance in Ohms. Look for any reading that isn't consistent with the other three or open.

Usually the wheel sensor faults and you can detect it with a multimeter by taking a reading.

Beyond that you need the ABS codes read and i beleive only the dealer can do this. Then you'll know what needs to be replaced
Old 05-05-2009, 08:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurPHy4570 View Post
Diagnose the ABS Module no communication fault first. Don't just throw parts at it, that's far too costly. You should at least get a U code to start with, even if you can't communicate with the ABS module. I dunno if aftermarket code scanners can pick up anything other than typical P codes, so get someone at a Ford dealership to scan it with the WDS or IDS system that Ford uses. If you have a buddy that works at a dealership, see if you can borrow your model and year Workshop Manual and PC/ED, it'll come in handy.

Typical ABS concerns involve the Tone ring or wheel speed sensor at one or more wheels.

X10000000000!

Did you check the fuses yet? Powers and grounds at the ABS module? Start simple, then worry about hard parts. A speed sensor will not give you a non com message.

Reasonably priced PROFESSIONAL installs and side jobs done. PM me for info and pricing!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #13

The lights are on because there are is communication to the ABS module. The light is telling you there is a problem. Check the fuses first, but if they are good, voltage drop the power and grounds to the ABS module. Then check continuity on the network wires from the DLC to the ABS module connector. If this is good you will likely need a new module. Check the pin tightness too. Rear gears and speed sensors will not cause the module to be offline. Let me know if you need to know what pins to check at DLC, and/or ABS module connector. I have all manuals and Ford PTS site access.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:59 AM   #14

ok I have checked all the speed sensors and the resistance was the same. can you help me out and let me know what pins to check?
Old 05-23-2009, 08:37 AM   #15

Check ALL the fuses first. Then worry about pinning out the module.

Reasonably priced PROFESSIONAL installs and side jobs done. PM me for info and pricing!
Old 05-23-2009, 08:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordRacer9 View Post
Check ALL the fuses first. Then worry about pinning out the module.
x2!

Check fuses first, could be something simple. HOWEVER! Usually fuses don't just burn out all by themselves, and are only a symptom of the true concern. If you find a blown fuse, don't think that just replacing it will fix your problem. Not often do you get that lucky with a wiring concern.

PS: I hate shorts to ground. Hate.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:29 PM   #17

Hey man I had my ABS light on too and the Trac light said off but it was still working perfect with my 01 Bullitt about a year ago and the ford place, if I remember correctly, told me that the left front speed sensor was out. They took it in and I spent about $200 and i've never had trouble since. Hope this helps.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:33 PM   #18

yea i have checked all the fuses and replaced a couple that looked questionable. and it still has the issue. i def dont wanna have to shoot wires but that might be the only thing left.

bullitt3572- was your speedomter off?
Old 05-25-2009, 09:34 AM   #19

honestly i really dont remember. at that time i only drove it just a little in town so the fastest i got might have been 45 so i'm really not sure, also i got it fixed after the light have only been on being 2 or 3 days.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:00 AM   #20

johnie ryall- hey can you help me out and tell me what pins and wires to check?
Old 05-27-2009, 09:51 PM   #21

does anyone know what pins or wires i can shoot to see if the abs module is good?
Old 05-28-2009, 05:31 PM   #22

Pin 6 LG comes from the central junction box fuse 35 (15A) Hot with brake pressed.

Pin 8 LB/PK from cjb fuse 29 (15A) Hot in run.

Pin 13 YE/LG from battery junction box fuse ABS 1 (50A) Constant hot.

Pin 14 OG/YE from bjb fuse ABS 2 (20A) Constant hot.

Pin 12 BK Ground.

Pin 15 BK/WH Ground.

CJB is under the dash fuse box.
BJB is under the hood fuse box.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:54 PM   #23

ok thanks a lot
when i checked the as speed sensors should the brakes have been pressed for checking the ohms, what would be the best way to do it?
Old 05-31-2009, 12:14 PM   #24

Once again... The speed sensors will NOT give you a non communication issue. Figure that out first, then worry about any other issues.

But if you must check the wss, it does not matter if the brakes are applied or not. They have nothing to do with the hydraulic part of the brake system. You need to unplug the sensor and ohm out each one individually, or you could do it from the ABS module with the plug disconnected. They should be all relatively the same.

For checking powers and grounds at the module, if you don't have ground on one of the pins, it's a simple fix of running an additional ground wire to that pin. If you don't have power where/when you should, check the fuse that supplies it. Power at the fuse, but not at the pin equals broken wire or bad connection. No power to the fuse means we need to see where the power comes from (ignition switch/boo/battery) and diag farther. All powers and grounds OK means bad ABS module.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #25

ok thanks, ford told me to shoot the ohms from the vehicle speed sensor and if its not at least 5 than my computer is probably bad, does that make sense for this problem?
Old 06-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #26

Quote:
Once again... The speed sensors will NOT give you a non communication issue. Figure that out first, then worry about any other issues.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #27

ok but does any of this go through the (ccrm) constant control relay module? if that is bad would it cause this problem?
Old 06-13-2009, 05:35 PM   #28

Pin it out first. See where you have power or don't have it. Then worry about where it comes from.

THERE IS NO POINT IN CHECKING ANYTHING ELSE UNTIL WE KNOW THE CONDITION OF THE ABS MODULE AND THE POWERS AND GROUNDS AT THE MODULE. STOP JUMPING ALL AROUND THE CAR!!!

Old 06-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Pin 6 LG comes from the central junction box fuse 35 (15A) Hot with brake pressed.

Pin 8 LB/PK from cjb fuse 29 (15A) Hot in run.

Pin 13 YE/LG from battery junction box fuse ABS 1 (50A) Constant hot.

Pin 14 OG/YE from bjb fuse ABS 2 (20A) Constant hot.

Pin 12 BK Ground.

Pin 15 BK/WH Ground.

CJB is under the dash fuse box.
BJB is under the hood fuse box.

I;m having a similar problem as alienpimp03 but my ABS light goes on and off.

so if everything pins out, then i guess its safe to say my abs module is going out?

Last edited by Chad_X_Johnson; 06-28-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:39 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_X_Johnson View Post
I;m having a similar problem as alienpimp03 but my ABS light goes on and off.

so if everything pins out, then i guess its safe to say my abs module is going out?
Can you pull codes from the module?

Old 07-17-2009, 05:44 PM   #31

Chad_X_Johnson
did you find the problem?
Old 08-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #32

??????
Old 09-11-2009, 12:06 AM   #33

???
Old 09-29-2009, 06:31 AM   #34

?
Old 09-29-2009, 08:39 AM   #35

Did you have a question?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement