Easy way to drain / siphon gas tank??? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2008, 11:25 AM   #1
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (16)

Easy way to drain / siphon gas tank???

Thinking ahead a bit to springtime... I'd like to be able to drain / siphon as much pump gas from my tank as possible before I add my race gas. I have Glenn's Performance Sleeper Tank, so it has the outlet fitting at the front of the tank, behind the pass. side rear wheel... I suppose I could remove the line there, but it would most likely be very messy and spray / dump gas everywhere. Anyone have a good siphon setup that might work??? Although, I'm not sure siphoning would get as much gas out of the tank...

Any ideas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2008, 11:44 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (1)

The sump on mine has two outlets, one which is plugged. I just take the plug out and drain it into a oil drain pan.
I would guess that yours only has a single outlet? take the line off, fill a drain pan, put a plug in it til you dump the drain pan, remove plug, fill drain pan, replace plug, repeat til empty.

Or maybe make a drain line with a barbed fitting, fuel line, and a 1/4 turn ball valve on the other end. You wouldn't have to keep crawling under the car.

Or take the fuel line off at the front of the car and use the fuel pump to pump it out. You'd have to make a small hose up again to get it out of the engine comp. When the pump cavitates, shut it off and remove the fuel line from the front and finish draining the tank.

TOO MUCH IS...JUST ENOUGH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellos88gt View Post
fine. I'm out. I don't need this place.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-23-2008, 11:52 AM   #3
Corral Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTTSGT View Post
The sump on mine has two outlets, one which is plugged. I just take the plug out and drain it into a oil drain pan.
I would guess that yours only has a single outlet? take the line off, fill a drain pan, put a plug in it til you dump the drain pan, remove plug, fill drain pan, replace plug, repeat til empty.

Or maybe make a drain line with a barbed fitting, fuel line, and a 1/4 turn ball valve on the other end. You wouldn't have to keep crawling under the car.

Or take the fuel line off at the front of the car and use the fuel pump to pump it out. You'd have to make a small hose up again to get it out of the engine comp. When the pump cavitates, shut it off and remove the fuel line from the front and finish draining the tank.
Yes, it has an internal sump, single outlet. I like the ball valve idea, however, I was trying to think of the easiest way with the setup I have right now.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (5)

I use a bosch inline off a Benz with two hoses hooked up, the long one goes into the tank through the filler and the other into a suitable receptacle. I use a empty 15 gallon drum. It doesn't get it all but you can get the rest out when it's down.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
Corral Charter Member

Good idea also, but I need something quick to do this at the track.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #6

Then make a "T" in the engine compartment and pump it out from the front of the car.

TOO MUCH IS...JUST ENOUGH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellos88gt View Post
fine. I'm out. I don't need this place.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:57 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (9)

Corral Elite Member #1

** 89 LX 5.0 ** blower whine, better brakes, and faded paint
Old 12-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #8

take the valve core out of the valve on the rail and hook up a piece of fuel line and pump it out, i do it all the time when switching back and forth between 114 and 91.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #9
Corral Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevins89notch5.0 View Post
I have one of those, not sure if it would work or not (hose long enough, right diameter to fit into tank etc.)... I can try it when the weather gets warmer, too damn cold to dick with the car, hehehe...
Old 12-23-2008, 01:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO MANRZ View Post
I have one of those, not sure if it would work or not (hose long enough, right diameter to fit into tank etc.)... I can try it when the weather gets warmer, too damn cold to dick with the car, hehehe...
They have worked for me. I had a gas tank that was starting to leak. It still had 10 gallons or so in it. I got my 89 as close to the 90s tank as I could(with the 89 being very low on gas), and got the pump working. I would say it got all but about 1-2 gallons out. Once I had the tank off, I then tipped it more on its side, and got the rest out with the pump.
Corral Elite Member #1

Old 12-23-2008, 02:17 PM   #11
Corral Charter Member

Hrm... is that the exact siphon pump you have, or just a reference picture??? That long part would never make the bend down into the filler tube into the tank I wouldn't think??? Unless you could add a flexible piece of tubing to the end and fish that section down inside the tank...

I know I'm not going to get every last drop out of the tank, but if something like this would work, it'd be perfect for me.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:14 PM   #12

The dark piece is just a piece of rubber hose. Its sorta bendable. Its worth a shot, and doesn't take much time.
Corral Elite Member #1

Old 12-23-2008, 03:30 PM   #13

Trader Feedback: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO MANRZ View Post
Good idea also, but I need something quick to do this at the track.
The pump I use is similar to the BOSCH 360 and it'll empty a tank pretty quick, never put a stopwatch to it but about 15min's for a half a tank. Unless you have one laying around though it would probably be the most expensive proposition.

Last edited by Stalkan; 12-23-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement