Pro's & Con's on Powerglide for street use... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 09:50 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (5)

Pro's & Con's on Powerglide for street use...

I Built a 408W with a 500hp nitrous kit (fogger system) looking to run 9.0's high 8's possibly.. Car will be driven on the street on weekends and nice days. I need a transmission, Im either looking at a C4 or powerglide. Whats the pro's and con's or either for street/strip use. IS the powerglide going to help my et's vs the c4? Im also going with probably a 4000 nitrous stall converter,
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2008, 09:55 PM   #2
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (15)

TH400 is where you should be looking

TONS of Build Photos Ck at Facebook

Make sure to sign up for
SBFBuilding.com The single most exciting thing to happen to the small block ford community in a LONG TIME.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-05-2008, 09:56 PM   #3
kim
Moderator & USAF (Retired)

Trader Feedback: (0)

How heavy is the car?
Old 12-05-2008, 10:39 PM   #4

Car probably weighs around 28-2900lb's.. its a 89 notch, full tubed front end, full coil overs kirkleys racing seats , aluminum heads, pretty much everything done to the car to lighten it up besides gutting it and trunk isnt glass yet. i only weigh a buck 40.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:42 PM   #5

how heavy of a trans is a th400? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem= heres a tranny I was thinking of buying, powerglide with converter, Let me know what you guys think.. Thanks..
Old 12-05-2008, 11:26 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (3)

Dude, you're really thinking about driving a car with two forward gears on the street? Don't even think about going on a road with a posted speed limit over 40MPH, if that's the case.

4R70W would be my choice, you NEED overdrive for the highway. BUT! I wonder if there are any that can survive that power level.

Perhaps you should look into doing trans swaps reguarly? Race trans for track, overdrive trans for street?
Old 12-05-2008, 11:30 PM   #7

thats why i was looking at like a pro comp c4 or mighty might c4.. id have plunty of tranny, car will go to the track probably 5-6 times a year, Thats what i thought about the power glide my self.. I think it will be to much strain with a power glide.. I think a build c4 and a good converter to match my cam will do me good.. Ill be using the trans brake at the track every once n a while as well
Old 12-05-2008, 11:39 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurPHy4570 View Post
Dude, you're really thinking about driving a car with two forward gears on the street? Don't even think about going on a road with a posted speed limit over 40MPH, if that's the case.

4R70W would be my choice, you NEED overdrive for the highway. BUT! I wonder if there are any that can survive that power level.

Perhaps you should look into doing trans swaps reguarly? Race trans for track, overdrive trans for street?

hmm, i thought powerglides came in cars a long long time ago that went over 40mph?

dont think a 4r70w will last, and whether its a glide, 400, c4 it still has a 1.1 final gear, so highway rpm will be the same. and i dont think he will be driving it that much anyway. 8's, street car?

i think a glide will do fine, the car is not that heavy, and he will be making enough power to overcome only 2 gears. i would also look at a th400, honestly.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:47 PM   #9
kim

The 400 is almost as heavy as a C6, and there are people that have gotten the C6 to perform very well in drag racing. It is bullet prof when done...

A mighty might C4 will probably do better, a glide is nice when HP exceeds 1000... no need for the ultra low gearing of the 3 speed, and you don't have to deal with the weight and shifting. The Glide in stock form is fine, but most are using an SFI rated case, Deadenbear etc... NOT CHEAP.

Honestly for something that you lable street strip... ie a fair amount of street time. The 4r70w with non-lock-up converter would work nice. Cruise at 2500RPM, but be able to race.. the 4r70W is basically a C6 with overdrive.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:52 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinjason5074 View Post
hmm, i thought powerglides came in cars a long long time ago that went over 40mph?

They also used to make cars that got single digit MPG figures, and they used to have highways that had 55MPH posted speed limit. They also used to have asbestos as an insulator. They also used to use DDT as a pesticide. They used to use R-12 refrigerant. They used to put lead in gasoline.

My point is, just because things were done a certain way in 1930 or 1950 or 1980, does not mean it is a good idea to do the same thing these days. We have improved our technology thousand-fold or greater, for good or bad. It is wise to take advantage of that fact.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:56 PM   #11

Trader Feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kim View Post
...the 4r70W is basically a C6 with overdrive.
The 4r70w is just an electronic AOD with a wide ratio gear set.

The E40D is the C6 with overdrive.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:57 PM   #12

Nothing wrong with a glide for a torquey light car and stroked 351 on a big hit, as stated above all the non O/D trannies have a 1:1 final gear which is equivalent to a O/D auto guy driving around in 3rd instead of 4th >> I cruise on the highway @ 3,000 rpm's at 70+ all the time with my 28's and 373's. If he uses a 30" tire it will be even better rpm wise. My mileage is @ 10-13mpg which honestly for a 800+RWHP car I aint complaining, #### most new hemi trucks dont do that much better If you got the $$ for a single digit terror you aint crying over a few hundred bucks extra in gas >>

Get a good proven brand unit though (buddy has a spare ATI race glide with dedenbear case + brake of course. 2 runs before selling the chassis $2K)

Get a good cooler with fan setup, and race 9" w/antiballoon plates you be A-O-tay!! The Th400 is another good choice which will not be as picky on converter/gear choice also. I wouldnt mind having either. They are alot stronger than any c4 or AOD/AODE/4r70/etc..... when fully done.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:59 PM   #13

Quote:
They also used to make cars that got single digit MPG figures, and they used to have highways that had 55MPH posted speed limit. They also used to have asbestos as an insulator. They also used to use DDT as a pesticide. They used to use R-12 refrigerant. They used to put lead in gasoline.

My point is, just because things were done a certain way in 1930 or 1950 or 1980, does not mean it is a good idea to do the same thing these days. We have improved our technology thousand-fold or greater, for good or bad. It is wise to take advantage of that fact.

agreed, but like i said, i dont think a 4r70w will hold, and all the other options still only have a 1.1 top gear, so it doesnt matter, cruise rpm will still be the same. his car sounds like more drag, less highway cruising to me and he hasnt mentioned overdrive yet, so of all the other options they still will have a 1.1 top gear, if he dont want a glide, id recommend a th400.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:10 AM   #14

Try www.clickclickracing.com

From what I currently see:

4R70W can be built just as strong as a C4. Also OD helps fuel mileage and keeps RPMs on the highway down.
If your car is only used occasionally and on the weekend, then overdrive may not matter to you.
4R70W would cost alot more though (expensive). Also it's heavier and soaks up more HP than C4.
Powerglide is the lightest and eats up less horsepower. Only has 2 speeds but the 2nd gear ratio is 1:1 just like a C4 in 3rd gear.
On the highway the RPM of a Powerglide is the same as a C4.

The disadvantage of the Powerglide on the street is that 1st gear is very tall and you need good low end torque to get it moving (maybe your 408 makes good torque down low?)
Powerglides were production transmissions and were used on the street however.
With 3.27 gears and 26" tires at 60mph would be about 2600 RPM

The advantage of the Powerglide on the track is that the tall first gear makes launches more manageable when leaving off the line with twin turbo boost or 500 hp nitrous like you intend.

Plus the powerglide is cheap to build strong. Also you only shift once!

Each has it's pros and cons. You have to decide what is important to you.

You really need to talk to someone who has one. Try the site I mentioned.

Last edited by thefordkid1; 12-06-2008 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:33 AM   #15
kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin View Post
The 4r70w is just an electronic AOD with a wide ratio gear set.

The E40D is the C6 with overdrive.

My appologies.. got em mixed up. Truck has stock E4OD, couldn't tell ya whats in the sploder (Explorer) and the mustang has a glide... but it don't do the street... hell it don't do anything.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:46 AM   #16

Im going to look into the powerglides a little more. I did find a C4 tranny with brake, & reverse valve body plus any size converter i need brand new for 1200bucks redneck preformance. Thats pretty cheap http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem= it says it holds up to 800hp safely, If i use the juice il be putting possibly 8-900hp down.. i doubt ill run full 500 shot of nitrous, probably just a 150-250.. Im also not going to be using the transbrake every weekend.. just here and there at the track...

Last edited by wheelliftnpony; 12-06-2008 at 12:48 AM.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:53 AM   #17

e4ods are very big, and heavy duty, you dont want one in a mustang, way bigger than a c6.they hold up well behind diesels.

ive heard good from redneck trans for the price, friend had one (th350) that went mid tens regularly in a basically full weight lt1 car.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:57 AM   #18

ya, my little brother has a 4000stall from them in his stang, running a 393stroker, his car seems to drive nice on the street and still runs 11.0's high 10's at the track.. what do you think is my best bet? glide or c4? I dont want to put likea c6 or th400 in becuase of the weight. Is there any other good places to look for trannys?
Old 12-06-2008, 01:08 AM   #19

The C-4 will only last 15 passes or so behind that 500 shot before the clutches go out; and that's being generous. The glide will last several hundred.

I drove a '65 SS Nova with a six cylinder and a 'glide and it seemed to do OK on the street. I would think a car with a 500-600 hp on the motor with a 500 fogger would be even better.

They make lite weight turbo 400's. John Kilgore makes a 400 that has a light weight rotating assembly and doesn't rob nearly as much HP as the old 400's did. Not only are they much stronger than a C-4, the clutch packs also last longer. That's what I'm going to use for my eight second street car. James
Old 12-06-2008, 01:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelliftnpony View Post
ya, my little brother has a 4000stall from them in his stang, running a 393stroker, his car seems to drive nice on the street and still runs 11.0's high 10's at the track.. what do you think is my best bet? glide or c4? I dont want to put likea c6 or th400 in becuase of the weight. Is there any other good places to look for trannys?
I would use a glide before going with a C4 (much more dependable at those power levels). I like the extra gear of the Turbo 400 though. James
Old 12-06-2008, 01:19 AM   #21

Do you guys know were theres any good power glides for sale? and possibly a 4-4500stall converter? Im on the classifieds on corral and racing junk. theres not much out there..
Old 12-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #22

Semi local to you (SJ) buddy Doug has an extra ATI glide with the debenbear case (full SFI without a seperate bell or trans shield needed), You using a motorplate on that potential 8 sec. vehicle I assume ? you will need a JW conversion flexplate and crank adapter also. And any turbo spline converter with antiballoon plates. He wants 2,000 for the trans which is rated to 2000hp and sells for 4500-5K new. It has 2 passes on it, or you can buy my trans specialties proline 4000 glide and ill buy his >>
Old 12-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #23

One of the cons of a Powerglide with a 4000rpm stall converter is all that annoying slipping it's going to do along with heating up. I wouldnt run one on the street unless it had one of those switch pitch converters which will let you run a lower stall speed at the flip of a switch....anyway just make sure you put the biggest tranny cooler you can find in it.
Old 12-06-2008, 01:56 PM   #24

Aright I think after doing some research and hearing from some of you guys that run/ have experience with powerglides. Im just going with a built c4. I was also thinking with all the hills and low speeds around my area, I think I would put alot of stress on everything with a powerglide, Im going to need an extra gear for these hills. Thanks guys.

Anyone have suggestions on good c4 transmissions? Or know anyone that has one for sale (as well as a 4-4500stall converter
Old 12-06-2008, 02:05 PM   #25

Trader Feedback: (2)

With the glide your gonna be flashing a lot more in converter also when your putting around. Lets say down the HWY if you take it, your converter has to be stalled out if your running a 4000 stall converter it will not even locked up at HWY speeds that will make your trans go out a lot quicker. Spend the money on a good converter, thats where its at.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:19 PM   #26

If you want to drive it on the street at all it probably wont be any fun with the powerglide.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:08 PM   #27

Trader Feedback: (12)

Quote:

You do know 2nd gear is 1:1 just like a c4's 3rd gear right? Glides are pretty much bullet proof when done right and as long as you have enought power to us one it won't hurt et.

I know alot of local cars who run around on the street with them but where not talking daily drivers.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednotch View Post
You do know 2nd gear is 1:1 just like a c4's 3rd gear right? Glides are pretty much bullet proof when done right and as long as you have enough power to us one it won't hurt et.

I know alot of local cars who run around on the street with them but where not talking daily drivers.

lol I agree, I have plenty of fun with a glide. and I dont know where the notion that a 2sp with the same final ratio cant be driven around like a 3sp....that just shows naivety of the topic being discussed..

If you are honestly only going to have a 10 sec car I would do the c4 by all means it will hold up great. If you want longevity of any sort to hit a 3-500hit on a already 10sec motor than you would be foolish to use anything besides a full race built glide or th400 and nice 9-10" racing converter (ATI,Trans Spec,neil chance, PTC,etc..). You will get away with allot tighter converter for driving around on the street by using a hit since the extra tq will make the converter work right at the track. The motor will be a few 10ths off its peak n/a with the nitrous converter but honestly if you the kinda guy that uses a 500 shot you will never run your car N/A at the track it will bore you to death lol >>
Old 12-07-2008, 06:11 PM   #29

With a 408W and NOS I would think that a 3,000 stall (with 3.73s) would be sufficient. It would have decent street manners with a PG.
When you launch with NOS and a transbrake you will see a higher stall.
Wouldn't be surprised if a 3,000 converter stalled close to 4,000 with the juice and t brake.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #30

Trader Feedback: (25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefordkid1 View Post
With a 408W and NOS I would think that a 3,000 stall (with 3.73s) would be sufficient. It would have decent street manners with a PG.
When you launch with NOS and a transbrake you will see a higher stall.
Wouldn't be surprised if a 3,000 converter stalled close to 4,000 with the juice and t brake.
3500 stall with a glide here... (tight 3500 ATI stall) started to push through the brakes on my old coupe at 2800, but would stall 4000 on the brake.... easy and simple on the street, and VERY easy, simple, consistent launch at the track. had a large cooler on it, and no probs. whatsoever...was in a 2900 lb '93 coupe with limited (2 days a week to the cruise in) street usage.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #31

Trader Feedback: (92)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprayaway Fox View Post
With the glide your gonna be flashing a lot more in converter also when your putting around. Lets say down the HWY if you take it, your converter has to be stalled out if your running a 4000 stall converter it will not even locked up at HWY speeds that will make your trans go out a lot quicker. Spend the money on a good converter, thats where its at.
You really don't understand how a high stall converter works.

Mine goes 6200 and I drive it down the highway at 3000 dosn't overheat or flash the converter as you call it.

Heat is what kills transmissions and converters. The clutches in the trans are not slipping it is the converter.

For what you want to do a glide will be a good thing. It will be less prone to wheel stands. A 3 speed unless it has a 2.10 or so first gear will be tough to get down the race track.

I would look for a 1.94 powerglide. Rossler builds great stuff and has options for your needs and budget

Tim
www.flowtechinduction.com
Old 10-12-2011, 08:09 PM   #32

Trader Feedback: (2)

Quote:

If we all thought that way every fox body would be crushed.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #33

Ummm. 3 year old thread. He must have decided on a trans by now. For the love of god I hope he didnt go with a C4!!!

Its funny how miss informed some people are about glides. The OPs setup listed in the first post screams power glide!!!!

A T400 would be my choice if the car sees more street than track though.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:27 AM   #34

And what amazes me is how many folks would pick a TH400 over a C6. Simply no comparison. A C6 is way stronger than a 400. Not any heavier and if rollerized doesn't eat hardly any more HP. The C6 is simply the best 3 speed there is for a Ford. You can build it and forget about it. Frank Merkyl up in Canada can put put over 200 passes between inspections on his C6 and he's making 1700+HP. When he does inspect his, he has stated hardly any wear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement