1999 Mustang Cluster Replacement / Programming - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2008, 02:33 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

1999 Mustang Cluster Replacement / Programming

I have a 99 GT and the odometer illumination keeps going out. So I grabbed a cluster off eBay that has 1000 more miles on it than what my car has. However, it seems the cluster is programmed to the computer and/or key because I cant start the car with the new cluster.

Does anyone know if this can be done by a key on sequence like Mopar has or do I have to do the dealer to have it programmed?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2008, 02:58 PM   #2

You have to go to a Ford dealership and have them marry your cluster to your computer and PATS.I've had this done quite a number of times.Just keep in mind if the MPH is different between the two clusters your actual MPH will be off a little bit.......................Kevin
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-29-2008, 03:09 PM   #3

Since the PATS is what is causing my problem is there a handheld tuner that can disable PATS?

Since I was going to get one in the next couple weeks I can just order it now and take care of the problem.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:16 PM   #4

I have heard of people disabling their PATS.I know Diablo and SCT don't have this function in the hand held.The one thing I think you can do is if you get a hand held, call the company about the PATS function in a custom tune they can email you.When I had my car tuned by a SCT dealer/tuner he said he could disable my PATS,its just you have a SCT dealer use the software to do it for you.Then they transfer it to your handheld..........Kevin
Old 03-29-2008, 04:37 PM   #5

When you reference SCT are you referring to Super Chips?
Old 03-29-2008, 07:48 PM   #6

If you go to sctflash.com, thats one of the handhelds I'm refering to.Hope that helps......................Kevin
Old 03-29-2008, 09:40 PM   #7

Which one did you buy? It looks like they have some custom ones. I am going to get in touch with them as they look more comprehensive than the Hypertech or SuperChips.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:51 AM   #8

I bought the SCTX3($379) because the nearest tuner in my area uses the SCT hardware.I also have a Diablo handheld,when the tuner tried to use the Diablo he could'nt get the A/F to the optimum point.Because he has the the software and is familar with SCT I bought the SCTX3 so he can use the software to make further adjustments to the handheld to get the A/F right.What I found with the Diablo is you have the option to call them and they can email you a custom tune and you download it from a computer to your handheld.Now if a tuner you go to has a software for the Diablo, if you're gonna buy a Diablo let me know,the one I have I'll sell for $250 shipped.Its product #7146,its for 2000GT's,03-04 Mach1's etc.I've had this Diablo for months now and will eventually sell it,hav'nt had time I'm in the Army and is hard trying to find time to converse online and then go to the post office to ship it out.......................Kevin
Old 04-01-2008, 11:00 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (2)

here is some info from the ford shop manual since i am in it...

The PATS uses radio frequency identification technology to deter a driveaway theft. Passive means that it does not require any activity from the user. This system is known as SecuriLockĀ® in North America, SafeguardĀ® in the U.K. and PATS in continental Europe. This information can be found in owners literature.

The PATS uses a specially encoded ignition key. Each encoded ignition key contains a permanently installed electronic device called a transponder. Each transponder contains a unique electronic identification code, with over 72 million billion combinations.

Each encoded ignition key must be programmed into the vehicle's instrument cluster (the instrument cluster is also known as a hybrid electronic cluster [HEC]), before it can be used to start the engine. There are special diagnostic procedures outlined in the workshop manual that must be carried out if new encoded ignition keys are to be installed.

The encoded key is larger than a traditional ignition key. The key does not require batteries and should last the life of the vehicle.

The transceiver module communicates with the encoded ignition key. This module is located behind the steering column shroud and contains an antenna connected to a small electronics module. During each vehicle start sequence, the transceiver module reads the encoded ignition key identification code and sends the data to the instrument cluster.

The control functions are contained in the instrument cluster. This module carries out all of the PATS functions such as receiving the identification code from the encoded ignition key and controlling engine enable. The instrument cluster initiates the key interrogation sequence when the vehicle ignition switch is turned to RUN or START.

The PATS uses the PCM to enable or disable the engine. The instrument cluster communicates with the PCM over the SCP network in order to enable engine operation. The instrument cluster and the PCM use sophisticated messages in order to prevent a theft. The instrument cluster and the PCM share security data (when first installed together) that makes them a matched pair. After this security data sharing, these modules will not function in other vehicles. The shared PCM ID is remembered even if the battery is disconnected. The instrument cluster also stores the vehicle's key identification code even if the battery is disconnected. There are special diagnostic procedures outlined in this workshop manual that may be carried out if either a new instrument cluster or PCM needs to be installed.

All elements of PATS must be functional before the engine is allowed to start. If any of the components are not working correctly, the vehicle will not start.
306, powerdyne(gone) novi 1000 (sold) now NOVI 2000 too much boost!, 8inch asp crank pulley, tweecer rt, svt heads, kb pistons, b303 cam, trick flow intake,1.7 roller rockers, 60lb inj, sct ba2800, long tubes, x pipe, 70mm tb, CF clutch 355 gears, mm control arms, cold air fw intake A9L.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement