Charcoal canister - can it go bad or does it go bad? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > General Mustang Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (36)

Question Charcoal canister - can it go bad or does it go bad?

Just curious - can a 5.0 charcoal canister go bad over time or will it go bad - and if so, what are the signs of a bad charcoal canister (besides outward signs of visible damages)? If they do go bad, HOW do they go bad, or what causes a failure?

Also, I've read quite a few threads where folks have completely removed the charcoal canister on daily driven Mustangs - how does this impact performance, fuel economy (if applicable), engine functionality and drivability?

Any replies are appreciated.
1994 Cobra coupe SVT #0013, 2011 Genesis Coupe
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 11:39 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (72)

i ditched mine, no effects at all on anything, cant even tell its gone.
95 Cobra #1679
Copy and paste link for my 363 thread
http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-5-8-engine-tech/1283537-fordstrokers-363-pics.html
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-07-2008, 09:53 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (9)

I think the charcoal canister is just for fuel/gas tank ventilation?

I don't have on, but my garage reeks of fuel.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:25 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (15)

Yes they can go bad. The ways it can go bad are physical damage or if you over fill your gas tank it can overflow into the canister. It is just for HC's. You dont need it. It will not hurt or help performance with it on or off. It just holds HC's from the gas tank until you run your car then it purges it into the intake manifold to be burnt up by the engine. Its just for emissions.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (36)

So, if it is removed, what are all of the associated parts that need to be removed with it? Will the car throw a CEL if it's removed?

I am also assuming by your statement if the tank was "overfilled" and this impacted the charcoal canister, that the canister is now "bad" and should be replaced?
1994 Cobra coupe SVT #0013, 2011 Genesis Coupe

Last edited by Cobra Jet NJ; 03-07-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (3)

I also wanted to remove mine a long time ago but alot of people suggestions not to (I forget why). but in the line going back to the tank theres a big slice in it anyway so mines useless. Cool, now I have something to do tomorrow
Old 03-07-2008, 10:00 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (19)

yeah, just ditch that damn thing. Follow the line that goes back to the tank. Right underneath your passengers seat you'll see wher it goes from the hard plastic or whatever to rubber, then to metal. Roughly right under your passengers seat... leave it open right there, and ditch ALL other stuff associated with that damn thing. It won't have any effects on how your car performs. Just another useless piece of plastic they put on the car!

Kyle
I Understand The Jeep Thing..Thats Why I Drive A Z-71
Old 05-22-2008, 11:27 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (0)

I hooked mine all back up. My cat started puking gas out the filler neck one day from the pressure. Car seems to run better too.

THE FUSION HAS BEEN REPLACED BY AN 88 TC!!!!!
Old 05-22-2008, 11:32 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (72)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd7cwg View Post
I hooked mine all back up. My cat started puking gas out the filler neck one day from the pressure. Car seems to run better too.
u must be hallucinating from the fuel vapors. the canister does nothing to relieve pressure, u most surely overfilled when getting gas, thats why it puked out of the filler neck.
95 Cobra #1679
Copy and paste link for my 363 thread
http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-5-8-engine-tech/1283537-fordstrokers-363-pics.html
Old 05-23-2008, 12:11 AM   #10
MFE
Super Moderator

Trader Feedback: (8)

Ah, the canister does vent pressure in the form of accepting vapors through the vent valve in the top of the tank, but it can only take so much. If the tank has been overheated (BTDT on the road course), it'll send liquid gasoline up the vent line to the canister, and the canister is open to atmosphere through a small vent. It's normally totally capable of taking the vapors and either treating them with the charcoal or venting them to the intake depending on the actuation of the canister purge valve, but if it gets hit with liquid gas, it'll saturate, and stink, and be ruined. BTDT too.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:27 AM   #11

Yeah Ive been told the most you get is probably some fuel smell
Old 05-23-2008, 08:12 AM   #12

From the '92 PCED...

EEC-IV Evaporative Emission System

Fuel Tank Venting

Fuel vapors trapped in the sealed fuel tank are vented through the orificed vapor valve assembly in the top of the tank. The vapors leave the valve assembly through a single vapor line and continue to the carbon canister (located in the engine compartment or along the frame rail) for storage until they are purged to the engine for burning.

Canister Purging

Purging the carbon canister removes the fuel vapor stored in the carbon canister. With an EEC-IV controlled EVAP system, the flow of vapors from the canister to the engine is controlled by a purge solenoid CANP or vacuum controlled purge valve. Purging occurs when the engine is at operating temperature and off idle.

'92 SSP (ex-FHP 797) stock - SOLD
Old 10-11-2008, 04:30 PM   #13

Trader Feedback: (26)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE View Post
It's normally totally capable of taking the vapors and either treating them with the charcoal or venting them to the intake depending on the actuation of the canister purge valve, but if it gets hit with liquid gas, it'll saturate, and stink, and be ruined. BTDT too.
This must have happened to me.. the canister is still there but if I completely fill my tank, I get an extremely strong fuel odor from it. I think some gas is probably going up the line and getting in there. I mean the smell is so strong it worries me.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95cobraguy View Post
i ditched mine, no effects at all on anything, cant even tell its gone.
Bought my LX about 7 months ago and all that #### was disconnected. I didnt even have the canister on the car when i got it. Runs fine to me
'89 LX Hatchback - 306, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, TFS Fast As Cast 190cc, stock cam, 1.6 RR's, K&N, UD pullies, 3.73's, shorties, o/r H pipe, Flowmaster 44's, 130amp alt., aluminum d/s, Stage 2 clutch, Hurst shifter, tubular k, coilovers, U&LCA's, 5-lug'd, 13'' Cobra front brakes, '01 Bullitts, 555's.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #15

Just remember, Ford doesn't put stuff on their vehicles because they like to spend money. It's there for a reason. Keep it.

- Commodore Stephen Decatur, Norfolk, Virginia, April 4, 1816
Old 10-11-2008, 06:49 PM   #16

Trader Feedback: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurPHy4570 View Post
Just remember, Ford doesn't put stuff on their vehicles because they like to spend money. It's there for a reason. Keep it.
It's there to prevent HC vapors venting to the atmosphere. Same reason the fuel nozzles at the gas station have the sealing ring.

KB 2.1L @ 9psi, FRPP M5400-A Suspension System, FRPP Aluminum D/S, Built AODE and TC, FRPP 3.73 Gears, Balanced Roller Cammed Engine, Edelbrock Performer Heads, Comp 270AH cam, AEM EMS, 3.5 Bar MAP, Zeitronix ZT-2 WB, FRPP 70mm TB, modified UPR CAI, Be Cool Aluminum Rad
Old 10-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #17

Trader Feedback: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman View Post
It's there to prevent HC vapors venting to the atmosphere. Same reason the fuel nozzles at the gas station have the sealing ring.

Those vapors are actually explosive. It's not the gasoline that burns...it's the vapor.

The charcoal canister contains activated charcoal which the vapor is drawn through before being injected in the intake. There is an electrical connector and solenoid inside which can go bad.

Some guys have reported strong fuel smells when deleting it. The issue is finding a nice place to vent the vapor without it pooling up. In the right concentration level and with an ignition source...it can ignite.

Has it happened? Prob not. But i'll leave mine alone.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:13 AM   #18

Trader Feedback: (39)

I took mine off and plugged the line. Sometimes I had gas smell and also when opening my gas cap you would hear the air pressure as I slowly opened it up. So I uncapped the plug from the line that the cannister was on and bought a small breather and put it on and now no smell, gas cap no pressure, everything good.
93 Aod Coupe, Reef Blue, 3:73'3, 10 holes, building a sleeper!! 235/60/15's All Motor so far!
Best 1/8 Motor 7:406 @ 91.03 mph 1.627 60'
Best 1/4 Motor 11:46@ 119 mph 1.60 60'
1st stage 10's, 2nd stage 9's on 8" slicks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement