Why wont my gauge lights work??!! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > General Tech Forums > Electrical & Wiring

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2013, 01:09 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (10)

Why wont my gauge lights work??!!

So I bought my 87 gt a little Over a year ago and when I got it the dash lights never worked in the speedo cluster all the warning lihhts brske light low gas low oil etc. I now have the car tore apart to get painted and motor tranny swap for the winter and pretty much getting everything fixed on the car so last night I took the CD player out to see if the orange wire was hooked up to the radio and it wasn't so I ran a hot wire from my fuse box to the orange wire just to verify that was the problem and still nothing the wire gets pretty hot when i hold it on to long an when I connect/disconnect the hot wire and the orange it sparks so I'm guessing its shorting out some where? But where I just had the dash out to put a heater core in and I checked for any signs of bare wires under there but found nothing any help is appreciated thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2013, 12:10 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (2)

get a wiring diagram for your year car, its called an EVTM.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #3

Does anyone know how to run all new wires so they work I traced wires as far as I could and found nothing
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89stang14 View Post
Does anyone know how to run all new wires so they work I traced wires as far as I could and found nothing
Yes

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy2000 View Post
How would I do this ? I'm no wiring genius but I can usually get it figured out but this one has me stumped! thanks in advance
Old 10-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (0)

Here is what i like to do, Get a wire schematic and highlite the wires you will be replacing. In the car, find the places you will be routing and securing the new wires and along that route loosly place zip ties. As you string the wires, run them through the zip ties to keep them neat and out of the way. You will want to take notes on this as you go along recording the color wires you use and pin numbers/circuits you connect them to. If these are coming from the fuse panel, make note of the size fuse of the circuit and size your wire according to handle that circuit load. Once you have all the wires routed then you can tighten down the zip ties and clean up any loose wiring.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #7

Quote:
with a wiring diagram in hand, I would follow it.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #8

Quote:
no one has a magic wand to help you. Or a quick response that's going to solve your problems. You need to just get an EVTM or schematic and do it yourself as mention previously.

Or pay someone that's familiar with that stuff and have them do it.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #9

Trader Feedback: (1)

Quote:
So I bought my 87 gt a little Over a year ago and when I got it the dash lights never worked in the speedo cluster all the warning lihhts brske light low gas low oil etc. I now have the car tore apart to get painted and motor tranny swap for the winter and pretty much getting everything fixed on the car so last night I took the CD player out to see if the orange wire was hooked up to the radio and it wasn't so I ran a hot wire from my fuse box to the orange wire just to verify that was the problem and still nothing the wire gets pretty hot when i hold it on to long an when I connect/disconnect the hot wire and the orange it sparks so I'm guessing its shorting out some where? But where I just had the dash out to put a heater core in and I checked for any signs of bare wires under there but found nothing any help is appreciated thanks
If it sparks when you add a hot wire to it then there is a load on the wire. If it's getting hot then there is probably a short somewhere in the wire. The reason I say there's probably a short is because if it's shorted then resistance will be very low & will allow a lot of current to run through it; which will make the conductor hot.

I would use a multimeter & test the resistance from the orange wire to ground. If you get anything other than an "OL" or infinity reading then the wire is shorted to ground (possibly somewhere on the chasis.)

Easiest way to replace that wire is going to be to simply pull a new wire from point A to point B, cut the old wire near the connectors, & solder/heat wrap the new wire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement