Ford Mustang Forums banner

Need some help with battery relocate

697 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  ackstang 
#1 ·
I am relocating the battery in my carbed '86 to the trunk. I understand that in order to be legal, the cut off switch for the battery must kill the engine. I plan on running the stock alternator. From the alternator, I am going to run a wire off of the black/orange wires (there are two spliced together) back to the positive side of the battery. I will leave the single black/orange wire that was connected (after cutting it) to the 2 black/orange wires tapped off and to the side.

I have 2 questions:

1. What size wire should I run from the alternator to the battery?

2. What size and type fuse should I put in line with this wire?

I am running 1/0 wire from the battery switch to the starter relay and from the battery switch to the battery (as well as ground). Would it be okay to use the 1/0 wire for the alternator? I have plenty of the 1/0 wire to take care of it. I don't want to buy more wire if I don't have to. Would the 1/0 be overkill and if so, would it have any negative affects?

Thanks

See less See more
#4 ·
I used 6 gauge and a 40 amp breaker. FWIW - if the alternator is still connected to the rest of the electrical system, cutting the batter positive will not shut off the car and can cause a rather large electrical surge when the better is removed from the circuit. The surge can destroy things. MAD Enterprises offers a kit to move the solenoid back to the trunk and wire things to prevent that. I used a 4 pole switch, moved the solenoid to the trunk and used the switch to break the ground cable and the power feed to the front of the car. The starter cable is only hot when cranking and the alternator is tied directly to the battery - when you shut the car off the battery/alt are isolated and the power feed is cut. Meets the rules and does not tear up stuff.

#5 ·
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

that is what we have on the F/S car! works great.

#6 ·
what about those that use a mini starter that has two leads to the starter sel?...(in regards to the MAD kit)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.